Samsung's Galaxy S5 to sport fingerprint sensor, 32-bit SoC

Comments

• Reply 21 of 151
    I am no Samsung fan, but this report sounds extraordinarily intentionally misleading.

Just from, "Fingerprint is necessary for a star model," Kuo writes. "Because Apple's iPhone 5S and HTC's One Max have fingerprint, S5 the star model can't lack the function even [if] the solution (area type same as iPhone 5S's provided by Validity) is not as mature as iPhone 5S's.", I get...

First, is "star model" the new high-end?

Second, does a "star model" necessarily have to have a fingerprint sensor?

Third, the HTC One fingerprint sensor is only ever mentioned to say it exists. Does it work? What is HTC doing to promote the sensor's abilities?

Fourth, "same area type as iPhone 5S's"? Are you kidding? Every court in the world, including East Texas, would give Apple a slam dunk verdict for slavish copying.

Fifth, Validity is the company Samsung blamed for causing it to not include a reliable fingerprint sensor in the Galaxy S4 and Note 3 last year, which caused Samsung to not beat Apple's Touch ID to market.

Sixth, to play catch up with Apple, Samsung will integrate a still immature Validity fingerprint sensor in its new Galaxy S5.

Ming's words contradict Samsung's co-CEOs' words by a wide margin!
  • Reply 22 of 151
    sflocal wrote: »
    They can't even get the 32-bit Android running smoothly on a 32-bit chip!  Even with 8-cores, it'll still run like s**t.

I believe the standard response is that Android is already 64-bit or that you don't need 64-bit. The other meme seems to be that because "Samsung makes the A7" they must get all the 64-bit credit, not Apple, because Apple never invented anything.
  • Reply 23 of 151
    Eventually all of Apple's iPhones will include Touch ID but it's going to somewhat difficult for Android devices, especially at the low- and mid-tier price points to include trouble-free fingerprint sensors. Apple may have some advantage there if consumers really do like using fingerprint scanners as a security feature. Apple needs to leverage Touch ID security in their marketing strategy when it comes to mobile payments. I figure Samsung will quickly figure out how to reverse-engineer Touch ID components but I doubt they'll willingly pass that secret on to competitors. Apple absolutely has to find some market to sell products in that isn't totally dominated by Android. I wish that Samsung would hurry up and start using Tizen OS in order to slow down Android's continued growth.

I doubt the Galaxy S5 will be a must-have smartphone for many consumers because if the Galaxy S4 wasn't selling in high numbers it's likely because it was over-featured and less expensive models were good enough. There's only so many new things that Samsung can offer for the Galaxy S5 and they'll mostly be evolutionary features. Offering a slightly better display isn't going to excite buyers all that much. Samsung is going to have to run into the same problems Apple is where the pundits start griping about how there isn't enough reason to upgrade because there's not enough changes from last year's model to make it worthwhile.
  • Reply 24 of 151
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

"Fingerprint is necessary for a star model," Kuo writes. "Because Apple's iPhone 5S and HTC's One Max have fingerprint, S5 the star model can't lack the function even [if] the solution (area type same as iPhone 5S's provided by Validity) is not as mature as iPhone 5S's."

This is the area where the competition has always been outclassed by Apple. 

You don't bolt on an inferior implementation just to say that you've got it as well. 

• Reply 25 of 151
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Oh yeah, and a fingerprint sensor that is not going to work. I bet you won't even be able to use it to make purchases from the Google Play store. And I bet security experts are going to have a field day with the implementation

Samsung version is to be brilliantly simple.

Touching finger to sensor a voice comes on and says, “Yes, it’s me. This transaction is good one."

• Reply 26 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

“It’s 32-bit, but it will have eight cores, so really that’s 256-bit and Apple’s four times as slow.”

Better yet, make it a twelve-core 8S - I couldn't care less anyway.

• Reply 27 of 151
    sflocal wrote: »
    They can't even get the 32-bit Android running smoothly on a 32-bit chip!  Even with 8-cores, it'll still run like s**t.

I was using a friends galaxy 4 yesterday to browse the Internet, and it stuttered the whole time. Compare that to safari on my iPhone 5, the way the pages zoom in and out, you can flick through pages in 3D with zero lag. And I love the new safari, fortunately 78% of ios devices run the latest os, so they can enjoy those features today. Samsung users will have to wait a year or two.
  • Reply 28 of 151
    I believe the standard response is that Android is already 64-bit or that you don't need 64-bit. The other meme seems to be that because "Samsung makes the A7" they must get all the 64-bit credit, not Apple, because Apple never invented anything.

I would like to point out that Apple uses an Arm processor(which happens to be built by Samsung). It is all Arm technology, no invention required from Samsung, they merely produce the parts based on a design supplied from Apple. Another interesting factoid: Arm processors are the product of Arm, Ltd. of which Apple has a 42.3% ownership of. Samsung, only appears in this product, because they are currently the foundry used, and as presented in one of the Apple v. Samsung court cases, Samsung's lawyers would like for you to believe that Samsung the smartphone maker, and Samsung the hardware manufacturer are essentially two different companies, and they do not leverage the information of what tech is going into their competitors phones to enhance their own smartphones, whether this is true or not, I cannot say with confidence.

Having presented you with this information, would you like to re-iterate your stance on who deserves credit, the builder drone or the company that has helped to finance the innovation of processors for the betterment of the entire industry, as well as optimize a design and commission it's SoC for use in it's iPhone Tech?
  • Reply 29 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

So, it comes down to the same plastic flagship phone. But bigger

Oh yeah, and a fingerprint sensor that is not going to work. I bet you won't even be able to use it to make purchases from the Google Play store. And I bet security experts are going to have a field day with the implementation

This will hurt Samsung.  Unlike the gimmicky hand gesturing, people will actually want to use this.  And, it won't work well.

• Reply 30 of 151
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

We all know it's not going to work. I'm just wondering what the excuse will be from all those bed-wetting fandroids after criticizing Apple's TouchID and calling it a gimmick, and insecure, and how nobody would use it.

Look! A squirrel!

• Reply 31 of 151
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sabont View Post

Another interesting factoid: Arm processors are the product of Arm, Ltd. of which Apple has a 42.3% ownership of. 

I don't believe Apple has any ownership of ARM anymore despite they were one of the founders (Acorn, Apple, and VLSI). Pretty sure they divested themselves early in Jobs' return to Apple as one way to get cash back to fund Apple's "rebirth". They are now licensees like many others. Of course, they are also the first ones to bring a product to market with the 64 bit core / architecture.

• Reply 32 of 151
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Instead of focusing on the currently still irrelevant fact that the SoC is only 32bit, you should have noticed that the camera is a 16MP phase detection autofocus unit. Autofocus right now is arguably the weakest point of Apple's cameras. If Samsung pulls this off well, this may take them a significant step ahead.
  • Reply 33 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sabont View Post

I would like to point out that Apple uses an Arm processor(which happens to be built by Samsung). It is all Arm technology, no invention required from Samsung, they merely produce the parts based on a design supplied from Apple. Another interesting factoid: Arm processors are the product of Arm, Ltd. of which Apple has a 42.3% ownership of. Samsung, only appears in this product, because they are currently the foundry used, and as presented in one of the Apple v. Samsung court cases, Samsung's lawyers would like for you to believe that Samsung the smartphone maker, and Samsung the hardware manufacturer are essentially two different companies, and they do not leverage the information of what tech is going into their competitors phones to enhance their own smartphones, whether this is true or not, I cannot say with confidence.

Having presented you with this information, would you like to re-iterate your stance on who deserves credit, the builder drone or the company that has helped to finance the innovation of processors for the betterment of the entire industry, as well as optimize a design and commission it's SoC for use in it's iPhone Tech?

You are taking my post way too seriously.

• Reply 34 of 151

"a 16-megapixel rear shooter"

is that to get higher def selfie pics of owns own bell-end?

• Reply 35 of 151
    I'm starting to suspect that Ming-Chi Kuo is sending AppleInsider these press releases whenever AI writes "in a research note obtained by AppleInsider".

Also "research note" = rumor & guesswork published as a self-promoting press release. AppleInsider is just publicizing these press releases.

HEADLINE: Speculation rises as AppleInsider readers catch on to increasing likelihood that widely read blog "AppleInsider" is dependent on highly speculative and often misleading Apple stock analyst notes to retain page views. A three-thousand word essay by Daniel Eran Dilger will seek to further speculate on and analyze this developng story.
  • Reply 36 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

HEADLINE: Speculation rises as AppleInsider readers catch on to increasing likelihood that widely read blog "AppleInsider" is dependent on highly speculative and often misleading Apple stock analyst notes to retain page views. A three-thousand word essay by Daniel Eran Dilger will seek to further speculate on and analyze this developng story.

If you start a website like AppleInsider, you'll get a ton of emails that are literally press releases--it's technically spam since you didn't sign up for any of it--from companies that have stuff to sell, new products, new apps, and analysts who have "reports" to publicize. It doesn't cost AppleInsider a lot to regurgitate that for "content." They just rephrase/reword the press release, emphasizing the juicy parts, and Ming-Chi Kuo gets free publicity. For that reason, it's not particularly worthy content. I wouldn't put any "analyst report" against the original content that, say, Ars Technica writers create (they're more pro-Android, but at least it is original).

• Reply 37 of 151
    If you start a website like AppleInsider, you'll get a ton of emails that are literally press releases--it's technically spam since you didn't sign up for any of it--from companies that have stuff to sell, new products, new apps, and analysts who have "reports" to publicize. It doesn't cost AppleInsider a lot to regurgitate that for "content." They just rephrase/reword the press release, emphasizing the juicy parts, and Ming-Chi Kuo gets free publicity. For that reason, it's not particularly worthy content. I wouldn't put any "analyst report" against the original content that, say, Ars Technica writers create (they're more pro-Android, but at least it is original).
    I'm starting to suspect that Ming-Chi Kuo is sending AppleInsider these press releases whenever AI writes "in a research note obtained by AppleInsider".

Also "research note" = rumor & guesswork published as a self-promoting press release. AppleInsider is just publicizing these press releases.

Yep.
  • Reply 38 of 151
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Introducing he S Touch ID, only available in the new Galaxy S 5 S touch ID. One of ten new Galaxy S 5 models.
  • Reply 39 of 151
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    32 bit. How quaint.
  • Reply 40 of 151
    The only good thing that comes out of Samsung are their TVs. Their phones are garbage and their "features" are gimmicky and trivial that hold no real world benefit. Let's face it they are throwing in features and stats for the attempt to sell more devices to people that are blinded my meaningless features and stats.