Samsung, Google reach worldwide patent cross-licensing pact

Comments

• Reply 61 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

They were Apple designed apps, Apple bought a license from Google to use the Google Maps API and to make a Youtube app.

With Google cooperation of course. 

• Reply 62 of 85
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marsk View Post

With Google cooperation of course. 

If by cooperation you mean providing the map data, sure. Even if you believe that is where Google saw Apple's iPhone and iOS it would still only have been be a couple of weeks before the launch that Google knew about it. And it would have only been the software that Google saw. There is no way that Steve Jobs would have allowed anyone to see more then was necessary. We know by now that Steve Jobs was obsessed (and rightfully so) with keeping this project secret.

• Reply 64 of 85
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    tzeshan wrote: »
    I think Google signed the deal at this time is to allow Samsung to use Motorola finger print patents and technology in the next S5.

That makes zero sense. If Motorola has patents on fingerprint scanners then why would Samsung go into an agreement with Apple? An agreement with Motorola would make sense.
  • Reply 65 of 85
    On the plus side Google will also know when your house catches fire from your Samsung washing machine. It should be able to notify the authorities with their Nest fire alarms or are those things unmonitored?

Google and Samsung are that chummy for something like that to ever be possible.
  • Reply 66 of 85
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That makes zero sense. If Motorola has patents on fingerprint scanners then why would Samsung go into an agreement with Apple? An agreement with Motorola would make sense.

???  Did you read my post correctly? 

• Reply 67 of 85
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member

"Samsung and Google are showing the rest of the industry that there is more to gain from cooperating than engaging in unnecessary patent disputes,"

So that's what the patent system is for... to give away your intellectual property to your competitors! These clowns are such a-holes.

...and this coming from two companies that steal others intellectual property.

• Reply 68 of 85
    tzeshan wrote: »

???  Did you read my post correctly? 

I thought I did.:lol: What deal did Google make? Many of you are under the impression that Google does things for Samsung's benefit, which isn't true. For the SGS 2, Samsung omitted all of Google's native apps for alternative ones, and in response Google separated all its apps from the core OS and put them on the market. Watch a Samsung presentation (I know they're literally painful) and not once will Samsung mention Google nor Android.
  • Reply 69 of 85
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

I thought I did.image What deal did Google make? Many of you are under the impression that Google does things for Samsung's benefit, which isn't true. For the SGS 2, Samsung omitted all of Google's native apps for alternative ones, and in response Google separated all its apps from the core OS and put them on the market. Watch a Samsung presentation (I know they're literally painful) and not once will Samsung mention Google nor Android.

Google benefits by increasing Android shares especially the high end where Samsung is faltering under competition from iPhone 5S. 

• Reply 70 of 85
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revenant View Post

Samsung is a HUGE company.  it is like nokia back in the days when nokia was a huge company (making everything including tires).  Samsung has many branches and tonnes of market share and tonnes of money.  

...and what happened to Nokia?

Massive marketshare of cheap sh*t = sweet f*ck all to anyone except Wall St spivs.

This is a show for the courts, a presentation of how reasonable both companies are and how bad the companies that litigate to protect their IP are in comparison.

• Reply 71 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

You uh, realise they won that right? Oracle abandoned every argument other than claiming the structure of APIs should be protected by copyright. If they prevail with that argument you can expect the modern IT world to collapse into a massive patent war. iOS would infringe just as badly as Android in that case. It's a ridiculous argument but Oracle are desperate.

You realise it's still under appeal, apparently Alsup confused "fair use" with "blatant rip off" when making his copyright ruling, as you will get to see when Google get their comeuppance.

• Reply 72 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by newbee View Post

It seems to me that the purpose is twofold. One, to present to the courts "an alternative" to having two companies sue each other over IP, while, at the same time, skirting the issue of stealing the IP of others in a desparate act to bamboozle the courts. Hopefully, that idea won't work ... but with the recent stupidity/corruption shown by our courts, who knows.

Two ... I think it's possible Google will be getting into bed with NSA in a serious way in the not too distant future. The more ability Google has to "spy" on us .... the more "attractive" they appear to the government. This, I fear, might not turn out well for us, not at all. I hope I am wrong but one thing that experience has taught me is that when two "evil" companies get together for a common purpose ... then no amount of evil doing is impossible. They are both, imho, the devil.

Apparently the NSA is using data from Apps, by intercepting advertising network and Google maps information in transit.

According to The Verge

• Reply 73 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by marsk View Post

Please explain how they get integrated Google map & Youtube on the iPhone before the first iPhone launch without knowing anything about the iPhone? And you believe that Eric T-Mole only visit to Apple HQ 4 times a year? Then Larry Page & Sergey Brin must be sneaking in Apple HQ thousand times in the past years~!

You don't need to explain to Google what project you are working on in order to use their maps and youtube api. 
  • Reply 74 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Two ... I think it's possible Google will be getting into bed with NSA in a serious way in the not too distant future. The more ability Google has to "spy" on us .... the more "attractive" they appear to the government. This, I fear, might not turn out well for us, not at all. I hope I am wrong but one thing that experience has taught me is that when two "evil" companies get together for a common purpose ... then no amount of evil doing is impossible. They are both, imho, the devil.

That would be an irrational decision because Google's business depends directly (more so than most other companies, including Apple) on the reputation of its internet services. 

• Reply 75 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Do No Evil, indeed...

A "deal with the devil" like this sure does fly in the face of the "Don't Be Evil" philosophy, doesn't it. Well, but Page and Brin were very different beasties than Mr. two-faced, back-stabbing Schmidt ever was.

A little says a lot: http://www.neowin.net/news/eric-schmidt-googles-dont-be-evil-motto-is-the-stupidest-rule-ever

His opinions reflect his character pretty clearly. He needs a definition of "evil"? A look in the mirror might be a good starting point...

I will never do business with Google, directly or indirectly, if I can in any way avoid it. Especially while that man is at the helm.

I hope I live long enough to watch them fail (or be forced to significantly reform), and be able to say "oh, how the mighty have fallen" while we stand over the "grave" laughing, and tramp the dirt down. (Thank you Elvis Costello for that concept!)

• Reply 76 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Since Google and Samsung are wholly separate companies, can Apple sue them BOTH, separately, for violating a single licensed patent?

Sure. Or now, given the right circumstances, claim "conspiracy" and name them both in a single suit... 

• Reply 77 of 85
    I guess this is really more about competitive options for OS than about Apple. It seems no coincidence that this comes out soon after the whole Tizen plan seems to be falling apart. I never really understood how Samsung planned to switch horses in mid stream (or should I say mid ocean). There is so much momentum behind Android now that changing would be disastrous for them. I guess they tried to bluff Google with Tizen, but when Satan has you by the balls you are pretty much up the creek. I guess they deserve it though.
  • Reply 78 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Apparently the NSA is using data from Apps, by intercepting advertising network and Google maps information in transit.

According to The Verge

Yah, when I saw that news, that old REM lyric started playing back in my head again....

"It's the end of the world as we know it...."

Unfortunately, I wasn't feeling too fine about that news....

• Reply 79 of 85
    Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Sure. Or now, given the right circumstances, claim "conspiracy" and name them both in a single suit... 

Two suits, two payouts. Bleed ‘em dry.

• Reply 80 of 85
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Google bought Motorola Mobility, which is only cell phones and bluetooth devices. 2 way radios (walkie talkies) is not part of the deal nor are the set top boxes.

Here is what you do not know, Motorola Mobility owns all the IP after Solutions and the Home  Business was split off, both those companies were licenses of all the Motorola Inc IP, which was made up a number of companies Motorola bough throughout the 1990's today. Also Motorola Solution also licenses all the Motorola branding and trade names as well. The Samsung deal with Google would logically extend to all the Motorola Inc IP unless they limited to certain IP. But what would Samsung license only Mobile phone IP they already get them as part of the FRAND Licensing.

Where did you think Motorola got 22,000 patents their engineers are not all that good, they got about 2000 from the home business unit which does video products, Google is loving having access to those patents.