Wall Street concerned by lower-than-expected iPhone sales in Apple's holiday quarter

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 168
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    No, you need to ask yourself why you are so short sighted, because if you are thinking in terms of devices, incidental features and price points you have missed the point of innovation, and technological game changes.  If you think personal communications has reached its pinnacle in the form of a handheld smartphones and that building strong holds in existing technologies will keep you viable after the next big disruption You may as well be a card carrying member of the telegraph operators union.

You are right, the future is mobile. Even the iPod proved that. But the future may not, and probably won't, be a phone. I'd hate to be the CEO that built an enterprise delivering cheap phones to the masses erroding profits in the name of marketshare when the world is now using newfangled device X and you can't shift focus because Wall Street will eat you alive for abandoning your "core" business. By the way how is Jormal Ollila doing these days?

The future isn't a phone now and hasn't been since Apple introduced the original iPhone. Which was introduced as 3 devices in one ( are you getting it now?). We call it a phone but cars are named after carriages. It isn't a phone - which is basically an app on it - but a small portable internet enabled device. Most people use it for something other than phoning or texting most of the time.

So the future is now. If you think there is some other form factor for portable Internet devices ( glasses, wearables) I respectfully disagree. These are niche products at best.
  • Reply 162 of 168
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    ...and Apple just dropped under $500/share. Weird stuff.
  • Reply 163 of 168
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

The computer market is not like auctioneering services.  The computer market is going to be commoditized. Any fool can see that.  Apple has done a nice job of delaying the commoditization and extracting value.  It has been a great strategy, but it is time to change. The long term play in handsets is services.  You can't dominate services unless you have a platform.  You can't have a platform if you only sell to the high end of the market.  I'm not saying Apple needs a shitty phone.  I'm saying they need to drop their prices to take more market share and then make money from services.  

To give you an example of why it needs a platform, consider a scenario where Gucci wants to provide a service that allows people to interact with their Gucci purses.  It would be a complete failure because there aren't enough people with Gucci purses to collaborate.

Am I the only one that sees the long term problem with Apple's strategy? Apple and its loyal followers can all stick their heads in the sand, but it doesn't change the fact that Apple has a long term problem and Wall Street isn't a bunch of idiots for expecting Apple to address the problem.  I haven't sold my Apple stock because I think there is plenty of time to fix the problem and the shift may still be a bit premature (Apple is making a hell of a lot of money).  However, the shift likely needs to happen in the near future.  Maybe 1-2 years.  Who knows, maybe Cook has it in the works. 

Are you drunk?

• Reply 164 of 168
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    aaronj wrote: »
    Are you drunk?

Or is he sober and you lack simple comprehension?
  • Reply 165 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

You have to admit....the analogy with Gucci purses and the services that interact with purses seems a little shaky/wobbly/drunken. :-)

• Reply 166 of 168
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I may be wrong, and I will admit that's a possibility (as it has -- rarely -- happened before :) ), but I'm guessing I know a hell of a LOT more about fashion than he does.  If he wants an analogy to the fashion industry, then Gucci purses are not the correct way to go.  

Swarovski necklaces, many worth over $500,000, are a much better analogy.  And even then ...

BTW, I see Gucci purses all the time.  And yes, I can tell the difference between the genuine article and the ones that are sold on the street for $100.

• Reply 167 of 168

The activity of the animal beings has become acutely active everywhere on this earth. Bodies do not get time to booty a blow for a while. With the accretion use of altered gadgets of Gps Jammer, the possibilities of accepting the aboriginal of blow accept absolutely finished. The adaptable phones or the corpuscle phones are some of these accessories that accumulate the bodies consistently in blow with the alfresco world. The adaptable building are additionally accessible about everywhere these canicule and due to this the accessibility of the Cell Phone Jammer has become alike added quick and authentic. Today, you cannot break out of ability of these adaptable building as their signals can bolt your about anywhere. The bearings of bodies who accord to altered business professions has become actual analytical of 3g blocker as their authorities bolt them anywhere any moment.