Apple files new San Francisco store renderings featuring massive two-story sliding glass doors

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Last snow that actually stuck was back in 1976

Exactly. Apple has been working on snow-proof glass since the creation of their company.

• Reply 22 of 38
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Ah yes, I see the doors one the sides in the first picture?

• Reply 23 of 38
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Not sure "massive" is the word I'd use to describe the doors.  I work at some airplane hangars (private planes) sliding doors that big (if not bigger) is the norm.  

Seeing it for a retail store is interesting though.  I wonder if insurance companies will shudder at the thought of a car thief driving a car though those massive doors.

I think I see beams in front of the store, probably for that specific purpose.

• Reply 24 of 38
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foad View Post

I think I see beams in front of the store, probably for that specific purpose.

Those beams look like the door frame itself, which would move with the glass.  

I think people making a final decision based on the posted artwork are simply jumping to conclusions.  It's just an artist representation, and if they do decide to go this route, it will look somewhat different once the engineering challenges (and realities) are taken into account.

I live in San Francisco and I think it is a great location for their store.  Union Square has a huge amount of foot traffic.  The only thing I'm going to miss about the current location is it's proximity to BART and being closer to cheaper parking.  Last thing I would want to do is carry bright-white expensive iMac box or Macbook through the streets that screams "mug me".

• Reply 25 of 38
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Those beams look like the door frame itself, which would move with the glass.  

I think people making a final decision based on the posted artwork are simply jumping to conclusions.  It's just an artist representation, and if they do decide to go this route, it will look somewhat different once the engineering challenges (and realities) are taken into account.

I live in San Francisco and I think it is a great location for their store.  Union Square has a huge amount of foot traffic.  The only thing I'm going to miss about the current location is it's proximity to BART and being closer to cheaper parking.  Last thing I would want to do is carry bright-white expensive iMac box or Macbook through the streets that screams "mug me".

I actually saw it wrong. I was looking at the parking meters wrong. Goes to show you...sleep is important.

I agree with you though...great location.

• Reply 26 of 38
    One thing these huge open doors will achieve for sure: challenge the mental dependance from A/C, so common in USA, and go back to a more sustainable "natural" temperature and aeriation. If you enjoy SF climate, well, that's what you'll find inside the new Apple Store!
  • Reply 27 of 38

Without the Apple logo, the store could be mistaken for anything. 

• Reply 28 of 38
    mlivmliv Posts: 1member
    I see these images are stamped with the appleinsider logo - are you guys producing CGI's now? Or maybe you've just added your name to someone else's copyrighted image ;-)
  • Reply 29 of 38

In the renderings they show several things not evident on the article's photos - there is a railing on the 2nd floor - likely covered by code and no more dangerous than a bridge.  

As for weather - there are two traditional double doors on the far left and right of the front.  

Birds - yes, that's a concern.  

• Reply 30 of 38
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

"full-height, two-story sliding glass doors."

And I shall call them "The Amputators."

• Reply 31 of 38
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Birds - yes, that's a concern.  

If the walls don't provide any kind of perches then birds will soon find their way out.  There might be a problem with birds knocking themselves out, or dying from flying into the glass at speed trying to get out, but presumably no worse than birds flying into the glass on the outside.

Side thought: I wonder how many bird deaths Apple's predilection for glass fronted stores has caused?

• Reply 32 of 38
    mliv wrote: »
    I see these images are stamped with the appleinsider logo - are you guys producing CGI's now? Or maybe you've just added your name to someone else's copyrighted image ;-)

Just toss it on the pile of unethical practices here.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    crowley wrote: »
    If the walls don't provide any kind of perches then birds will soon find their way out.  There might be a problem with birds knocking themselves out, or dying from flying into the glass at speed trying to get out, but presumably no worse than birds flying into the glass on the outside.

Side thought: I wonder how many bird deaths Apple's predilection for glass fronted stores has caused?

I've seen this a number of times also. Poor birds.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I've seen this a number of times also. Poor birds.

Walking along below any big glass sheathed skyscraper very early in the morning before the cleaning crew comes out with the shovels is a continuing horror show.

• Reply 35 of 38
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    Walking along below any big glass sheathed skyscraper very early in the morning before the cleaning crew comes out with the shovels is a continuing horror show.

I'd sure like to see a workable, clever solution that would protect the birds and maintain the usability of the large, open glass layouts.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'd sure like to see a workable, clever solution that would protect the birds and maintain the usability of the large, open glass layouts.

I agree, cities take a tragic toll of songbirds while they migrate at night from what I've read. But IIRC it's not the "open", it's the reflectivity so they can't tell it's a solid wall they're flying at: at night it looks like sky from the reflections...

Maybe a sound barrier of some sort?

• Reply 37 of 38

One tricky issue for Apple could be in the future the "decommissioning" of an Apple Store.

I mean that, for various reasons (e.g. opportunity to move to a larger place) Apple may return an Apple Store to another brand. (I am not aware this already happened). Given the numerous distinct features giving the place the "Apple Touch" (stairs, for example), Apple may not wish to abandon the place in its present characteristics (e.g. if the place is supposed to become a Samsung Store).....

• Reply 38 of 38
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    I agree, cities take a tragic toll of songbirds while they migrate at night from what I've read. But IIRC it's not the "open", it's the reflectivity so they can't tell it's a solid wall they're flying at: at night it looks like sky from the reflections...

Maybe a sound barrier of some sort?

I have seen some buildings with fake owls and other large predatory birds designed to scare off birds, but the birds eventually learn these things are fake and ignore them.