Morgan Stanley sees 'iWatch' ringing up $17.5B from iPhone users in first year

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79

i already have a mini and what part of portable didnt you understand 60 inch come on stop being a clown

• Reply 62 of 79
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

That, sir, is the Final Jeopardy answer.

My proposition for such a device to be anything other than a hobby is that the device must extend the life of the user's iPhone by a significant margin which I believe can only be achieved by pushing notifications to the device so the user needn't peruse their device upon every notification.

I'll take unimaginative analysts for $1000 Alex. Annoyingly I can't find a photo of him wearing a watch. It would have been funny.

• Reply 63 of 79
    Wow! For a concept iWatch, that's very sleek looking.
  • Reply 64 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

That, sir, is the Final Jeopardy answer.

My proposition for such a device to be anything other than a hobby is that the device must extend the life of the user's iPhone by a significant margin which I believe can only be achieved by pushing notifications to the device so the user needn't peruse their device upon every notification.

It has to be a fitness watch. The fitness market is huge, and right now there aren't a lot of good ways to measure your workouts/activities outside of manually typing things into an app. If this watch were to passively gather information and help you improve workouts or even just general health for non-gym rats, this thing will take off. To differentiate from phones, it will have to be passively capturing the info and working seamlessly and quietly in the background to help out the user. I suppose it could also receive push notifications, which would be easy via Bluetooth, but the sales point will be for the hundreds of millions of people worldwide who just either exercise regularly or keep promising themselves to do so.

• Reply 65 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

One only has to look at first year iPod, IPhone and iPad sales. They didn't reach even close to 58 million sales... total for all three.

Assuming this even exists, another question is whether Apple can indeed make 58 million of them in 2014.

They would have to average approximately 2 a second for a year to make that many of them.

• Reply 66 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Assuming this even exists, another question is whether Apple can indeed make 58 million of them in 2014.

They would have to average approximately 2 a second for a year to make that many of them.

... and, yes, there is that.

• Reply 67 of 79

Given that Tim's expertise is the supply chain, I'm sure Apple would not manufacture 58 million of these in the first year even if they could. It does not make sense to do that on a new, untried product. It isn't a new iPhone model that would fly off the shelves.

For all we know it could turn out to be like the Apple TV, which remained a hobby for 3 generations before the real potential started being realised.

• Reply 68 of 79
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    dysamoria wrote: »
    I'm an iPhone owner and I have zero interest in a watch of any kind. Certainly not some expensive wearable electronic jewelry.

One of the primary functions of my iPhone is to be a clock and all the other things a watch does. Beyond that, it's a portable computer with robust Internet access, a calendar & reminder book, and it's the best GPS I've used. It's even a somewhat usable telephone. What the hell else could I want in a small pocket item??

I have no need for other gadgets. I was going to get an iPad for partial laptop replacement, but then iOS 7 happened. I have little faith in Apple's iOS future and I'm scared about Mac OS X's future once the GUI-ignorant Jony Ive gets at it, because it is my computing platform of choice (my only choice, at this point).

I could NOT possibly care any LESS about any so-called hypothetical iWatch.

Glad you got that off your chest.,.,feel better now? We are all here for you.

Apples stock drop is another mans stress. Wonder what the effect of starships will be? ;)
  • Reply 69 of 79

Good luck, won't sell like that morgan stanley, why would you want a iwatch when you can do everything on your iPhone, makes no sense , like going to taco bell its the same thing same taste but in a taco shell or burrito wrap . I would wear a classy traditional watch over a apple iwatch anyday, will go better with my outfit anyways . 

• Reply 70 of 79
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rickmac View Post

Never mind a dang watch get at least a 4.5 inch iphone out their im not gonna wait another year for a bigger phone

A 4.6" / 4.7" iPhone is coming this year. Patience.

• Reply 71 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I'll take unimaginative analysts for $1000 Alex.

Hehe.

• Reply 72 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JosephFriedrich View Post

Wow! For a concept iWatch, that's very sleek looking.

The thing is design is not just about looking good, though. The design is essentially how it works and what the experience is like. And in that sense I don't think that concept is a great design. I reckon a working prototype of that design would prove quite a sub-par user-experience.

• Reply 73 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

For all we know it could turn out to be like the Apple TV, which remained a hobby for 3 generations before the real potential started being realised.

I doubt they would treat a watch as they did that product.

• Reply 74 of 79
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Complete insanity to purchase this watch!

• Reply 75 of 79
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    hopeless wrote: »
    It has to be a fitness watch. The fitness market is huge, and right now there aren't a lot of good ways to measure your workouts/activities outside of manually typing things into an app.

The fitness market is good for a one-off sale though. Wii Fit sold about 23 million copies. Wii Fit U is listed much lower:

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70771/wii-fit-u/Global/

If the watch's main function is fitness, how would a second model convince you to upgrade it? How often do people upgrade their normal watch?

Apple never sells hardware with the intention that the first model will be the last model you want to own because the market just saturates too quickly. TVs and watches both have long upgrade cycles.

I think the idea of a wrist band replacing the iPod is decent enough but they need to figure out wireless audio. I really wish someone would figure out wireless audio properly and allow us to finally ditch 3.5mm jacks. Wireless headphones just don't last long enough though and recharging things is annoying. The buds would also have to be replaced with a headband but the band can have solar panels like a calculator. A problem comes with sweat there because it can short out the battery but they can obviously adapt to this.

The band means you don't have to figure out where to put the iPod when running and no headphone wire to get in the way.
  • Reply 76 of 79
    rickmac wrote: »
    Thats how you loose market share. I hope that is not apples attitude

Because market share is currently too tight?
  • Reply 77 of 79
    Marvin wrote: »
    The fitness market is good for a one-off sale though. Wii Fit sold about 23 million copies. Wii Fit U is listed much lower:

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70771/wii-fit-u/Global/

If the watch's main function is fitness, how would a second model convince you to upgrade it? How often do people upgrade their normal watch?

Apple never sells hardware with the intention that the first model will be the last model you want to own because the market just saturates too quickly. TVs and watches both have long upgrade cycles.

I think the idea of a wrist band replacing the iPod is decent enough but they need to figure out wireless audio. I really wish someone would figure out wireless audio properly and allow us to finally ditch 3.5mm jacks. Wireless headphones just don't last long enough though and recharging things is annoying. The buds would also have to be replaced with a headband but the band can have solar panels like a calculator. A problem comes with sweat there because it can short out the battery but they can obviously adapt to this.

The band means you don't have to figure out where to put the iPod when running and no headphone wire to get in the way.

I certainly agree with you on this one. Getting the precise headphone length by clipping and tying it off has become a ritual for me. Wired anything is a major annoyance.
  • Reply 78 of 79
    Originally Posted by rickmac View Post

Thats how you loose market share.

Except they have only been gaining marketshare for all these years that “many” people have been whining about a larger screen.

Their attitude is to not make products that are complete trash.