Steve Jobs wanted Sony's Vaio computers to run Mac OS X

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    marubeni wrote: »
    All of the last three (well, not HP anymore, and IBM is out of the business, so that leaves Apple) were premium vendors -- you paid a bit more for the hardware, but, as you say, you got more than just the hardware). Sony had (and still has) the problem that it made some premium machines and some commodity junk.

Sony has also exited the PC business.

Of course, it will take a while for AppleInsider to post real news like that.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    This might have made sense back in 2001 as Sony had their ultra-portable line and I think some had processors with dynamic clocking but they were very expensive. Apple didn't introduce the Macbook Air until 2008.

Apple's designers seem to respect Sony's design style. Jony Ive asked one of their internal designers to mockup what an iPhone would look like if it was made by Sony:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/26/3189309/apple-sony-iphone-design-inspiration-iphone-4-looked-old

That looked like the iPhone 4 back in 2006. Sony doesn't design things that look that nice though. This is Sony's version:

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/xperia/create/

They got the power button right and it uses front and back glass but it also came after the iPhone:

http://blogs.sonymobile.com/about-us/history/

Sony Bravia TVs were once seen as the best TVs but they started outsourcing the build of them to Samsung so they get killed in the margins. When it comes to a TV, why pay so much for Sony if you can get a TV built by the same company Samsung for a fraction of the price? The problem with Samsung is that they make great components. Their SSDs are best in class, their display panels are good too. Apple uses Samsung SSDs in the Mac line and Samsung displays in the Retina MBPs. Their Toshiba SSDs had problems and lower speed, their LG panels in the rMBP had the ghosting and burn-in issues. They used Sony batteries in their laptops:

http://news.cnet.com/Apple-recalls-1.8-million-batteries/2100-1041_3-6109198.html

Would a partnership have meant they'd let Sony run iOS on their phones and tablets? Sooner or later the need for each company to make money would drive them apart. It could have meant Sony bringing their Playstation franchise to iOS, maybe dualshock controllers but Sony would ultimately have to make a profit somewhere.

They are selling their PC line to an investment company, spinning off TVs to another company, laying off 5000 people (they have ~145,000 employees) and made $1.1b loss last year:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/06/us-sony-results-idUSBREA150AK20140206

In the last quarter, they made:

Cameras - $115m
    Games - $172m
    Mobile and computers - loss of $120m
    TVs - $61m
    Components, batteries, image sensors, media - loss of $226m
    Movies and distribution - $231m
    Music - $207m
    Financial Services (Sony Bank) - $455m

They seem to be doing ok in a lot of areas and have a decent amount of assets and cash. It makes sense why they'd make lenses for the iPhone because they can't shift their own mobile devices. I think it would be quite good if they brought their PS1 / PS2 / PS3 library to iOS with the dualshock controller. They have game streaming tech now so it doesn't have to be native but Apple would still have to approve it as it would technically be a 3rd party store (even though Netflix is a 3rd party store too and that's on iOS). A little restructuring and focusing on their profit-making activities should set them on the right track.
  • Reply 63 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Sony has also exited the PC business.

Of course, it will take a while for AppleInsider to post real news like that.

What? So, who makes the gazillion Vaios you see for sale on the Sony web site?

• Reply 64 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by marubeni View Post

What? So, who makes the gazillion Vaios you see for sale on the Sony web site?

Ah, I see (from Marvin's post) they are ABOUT to sell their PC line to a third party. Sad.

• Reply 65 of 74
    Ah, I see (from Marvin's post) they are ABOUT to sell their PC line to a third party. Sad.

What Sony gets for betting on Microsoft Windows instead of Mac OS.
  • Reply 66 of 74
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

As Marvin linked a couple posts back Sony just announced today it' is selling its PC business and VAIO brand to Japan Industrial Partners. The deal should close in 6 weeks or so.
  • Reply 67 of 74
    Marvin wrote: »
    This might have made sense back in 2001 as Sony had their ultra-portable line and I think some had processors with dynamic clocking but they were very expensive. Apple didn't introduce the Macbook Air until 2008.

Apple's designers seem to respect Sony's design style. Jony Ive asked one of their internal designers to mockup what an iPhone would look like if it was made by Sony:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/26/3189309/apple-sony-iphone-design-inspiration-iphone-4-looked-old

That looked like the iPhone 4 back in 2006. Sony doesn't design things that look that nice though. This is Sony's version:

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/xperia/create/

They got the power button right and it uses front and back glass but it also came after the iPhone:

http://blogs.sonymobile.com/about-us/history/

Sony Bravia TVs were once seen as the best TVs but they started outsourcing the build of them to Samsung so they get killed in the margins. When it comes to a TV, why pay so much for Sony if you can get a TV built by the same company Samsung for a fraction of the price? The problem with Samsung is that they make great components. Their SSDs are best in class, their display panels are good too. Apple uses Samsung SSDs in the Mac line and Samsung displays in the Retina MBPs. Their Toshiba SSDs had problems and lower speed, their LG panels in the rMBP had the ghosting and burn-in issues. They used Sony batteries in their laptops:

http://news.cnet.com/Apple-recalls-1.8-million-batteries/2100-1041_3-6109198.html

Would a partnership have meant they'd let Sony run iOS on their phones and tablets? Sooner or later the need for each company to make money would drive them apart. It could have meant Sony bringing their Playstation franchise to iOS, maybe dualshock controllers but Sony would ultimately have to make a profit somewhere.

They are selling their PC line to an investment company, spinning off TVs to another company, laying off 5000 people (they have ~145,000 employees) and made $1.1b loss last year:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/06/us-sony-results-idUSBREA150AK20140206

In the last quarter, they made:

Cameras - $115m
    Games - $172m
    Mobile and computers - loss of $120m
    TVs - $61m
    Components, batteries, image sensors, media - loss of $226m
    Movies and distribution - $231m
    Music - $207m
    Financial Services (Sony Bank) - $455m

They seem to be doing ok in a lot of areas and have a decent amount of assets and cash. It makes sense why they'd make lenses for the iPhone because they can't shift their own mobile devices. I think it would be quite good if they brought their PS1 / PS2 / PS3 library to iOS with the dualshock controller. They have game streaming tech now so it doesn't have to be native but Apple would still have to approve it as it would technically be a 3rd party store (even though Netflix is a 3rd party store too and that's on iOS). A little restructuring and focusing on their profit-making activities should set them on the right track.

Very nice detailed post! Thanks!

NOTE: Sony seriously needs to regroup and focus. They're doing a great job with their camera CMOS sensors of late... but according to you're break down above... next on the chopping block would be Cameras :(

Interesting to note re: cameras - Sony's new mirrorless a7 and a7r plus the Nikon d800 and d800e that use Sony's CMOS sensors are best in class at the moment for resolution and low light. Unfortunately, the Sony's are being knocked rightfully so for lack of attention to detail, like slow focusing, excessively loud shutter sound, and overall bad GUI for settings and features. Software and GUIs have always been Sony's Achilles Heal, but a nasty-loud shutter from the engineers? That's a stumper. :\
  • Reply 68 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Very nice detailed post! Thanks!

NOTE: Sony seriously needs to regroup and focus. They're doing a great job with their camera CMOS sensors of late... but according to you're break down above... next on the chopping block would be Cameras image

Interesting to note re: cameras - Sony's new mirrorless a7 and a7r plus the Nikon d800 and d800e that use Sony's CMOS sensors are best in class at the moment for resolution and low light. Unfortunately, the Sony's are being knocked rightfully so for lack of attention to detail, like slow focusing, excessively loud shutter sound, and overall bad GUI for settings and features. Software and GUIs have always been Sony's Achilles Heal, but a nasty-loud shutter from the engineers? That's a stumper. image

From the responded-to post, Sony will sell all but the Sony Bank.  Sadly, not really a joke.

• Reply 69 of 74
    From the responded-to post, Sony will sell all but the Sony Bank.  Sadly, not really a joke.

Other than cameras, everything else looks pretty good besides the bank. I did gloss over the point that image sensors could still be made and sold to other manufacturers like Nikon... Maybe even Canon... Apple? I think it would be the better choice.
  • Reply 70 of 74
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Sony already sell image sensors to Apple for iPhone. From what I read, Sony are killing the competition, they're well in the lead in terms of bringing high performance sensors to small form factors.
  • Reply 71 of 74
    emesemes Posts: 239member

News flash: Sony is selling off their Vaio line of products

So much for that

• Reply 72 of 74
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Pity. Sony makes good hardware and services well many niches Apple doesn't want to bother with.
    I'd much rather see eventually a Sony camera with iOS than with winRT or 'droid.
    Sony also doesn't believe in low-price crap, so friendly competition between Sony and Apple on the hardware front would have been beneficial to all without being ruinous to either company.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

It's hard to believe Sony's professional video camera division could be in jeopardy. IMHO they make the best pro and prosumer video equipment. I love Canon for DSLRs and lenses but prefer my Sony Pro video gear above all else.
  • Reply 74 of 74
    It's hard to believe Sony's professional video camera division could be in jeopardy. IMHO they make the best pro and prosumer video equipment. I love Canon for DSLRs and lenses but prefer my Sony Pro video gear above all else.

I do as well. Thats why I would be so tickled to have the Sony 36mp full-size sensor in the Canon EOS full-frames.

I read a review this morning where the photographer tries to get the best of both worlds by pairing pro Canon L glass with the new A7R from Sony.... something that had also crossed my mind and was considering. Thing is, it's the sensor that's great on the A7R... the camera itself? Loud, slow, bad UI... just about everything other than it's mirrorless and small/lightweight.

It would be amazing... "phenominal"... if Apple and Sony would ever team up with the video and camera line. Jone Ive design with Apple UI and Sony tech... and a good deal on Zeiss optics... think what that would be like?!?! :p

Review here if interested:

Sony A7R teams up with Canon glass By Fred Miranda