Apple snips down iPhone 5s footage from Burberry fashion show for new video

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2014
Apple on Wednesday posted to its YouTube page a short 30-second clip containing footage from Burberry fashion show, with the video's length suggesting the company will use it as a broadcast ad spot.

Burberry
Screenshot from Apple's "On the runway" video showing three iPhone 5s handsets on a gimbal. | Source: Apple

Titled "On the runway with iPhone 5s," the spot features a quick look at the Burberry Prorsum Womenswear Spring/Summer 2014 fashion show that took place in September of last year.

Apple and Burberry collaborated on the shoot, which relied solely on the iPhone 5s for runway and backstage footage, as a mutual marketing stunt timed for release after the handset's launch. To capture the event, Apple employed pre-release iPhone 5s units, many of which can be seen in cut scenes throughout the video.

Along with superior image quality, the short video also highlights the iPhone 5s' 120-frames-per-second slow-motion capture capability. One of the most prominent slo-mo shots shows golden leaves falling from sky as models strut by on the catwalk.

One month after the video debuted, Apple announced that Burberry's CEO Angela Ahrendts would be leaving the clothing designer to take on the newly created role of Senior Vice President of Retail and Online Stores.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Very cool advertising for both Burberry and Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I wonder if Apple is allowed to run this on TV?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If every bit of footage here was filmed on a 5s they should have made it more clear. Or was it?
  • Reply 4 of 19
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Ok, Thats awesome, dude. (no but it really is).
    I hope they can roll that on TV.

That track rig with the 3 iPhones is incredible (uh, I mean it's 'sick')(Is that the correct spelling?). I really want to know what that thing is / does.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Ok, Thats awesome, dude. (no but it really is).

I hope they can roll that on TV.

That track rig with the 3 iPhones is incredible (uh, I mean it's 'sick')(Is that the correct spelling?). I really want to know what that thing is / does.

It's a gimbal that is providing remote camera control and stabilization. It's what is giving that steady shot as it tracks. And you're right...it's awesome.

• Reply 6 of 19

I wasn't clear.

I know what a remote controlled track mechanism is. I just wondered what actual use of the iPhones is? 

I mean… three of them. Why? How are they utilizing the three phones mounted together like that?

Also found it interesting that a lot of the people hand shooting photos are holding various (kind of random looking) objects in front of their iPhone lenses as filters.

• Reply 7 of 19
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    The shallow depth of field suggests the shots of the iPhones and the people using them were filmed on a different camera. I'm guessing a canon 5D.
  • Reply 8 of 19

There's actually a sort of miniaturized version of the Steadicam available for the iPhone (and iPhone only!), called the 'Steadicam Smoothee'. Gosh, to be an amateur filmmaker these days. The tools are becoming so affordable.

See what you think ..

http://bit.ly/1bxguGy

• Reply 9 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    jasonfj wrote: »
    The shallow depth of field suggests the shots of the iPhones and the people using them were filmed on a different camera. I'm guessing a canon 5D.

That's what I was thinking.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

There's actually a sort of miniaturized version of the Steadicam available for the iPhone (and iPhone only!), called the 'Steadicam Smoothee'. Gosh, to be an amateur filmmaker these days. The tools are becoming so affordable.

See what you think ..

These aren't really steadicams, and have existed for a long time for all devices. They just used to use a movable weight and a standard tripod screw.

For what it's worth, Apple should really look at how Burberry is viewed among those with a bit of intelligence. In the UK they are seen as a laughable brand that attempt to attract the poorest, least self controlled members of society. Wearing a burberry pattern anything makes you look like a bit of a scumbag. Not a good match for Apple imo.

• Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

See what you think ..

These aren't really steadicams, and have existed for a long time for all devices. They just used to use a movable weight and a standard tripod screw.

For what it's worth, Apple should really look at how Burberry is viewed among those with a bit of intelligence. In the UK they are seen as a laughable brand that attempt to attract the poorest, least self controlled members of society. Wearing a burberry pattern anything makes you look like a bit of a scumbag. Not a good match for Apple imo.

Nice douchebag comment.

And Apple doesn't care about your o.

• Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Nice douchebag comment.

I don't think Apple should be associating themselves with brands that are viewed unfavourably. It's a bad plan. That doesn't make me a douchebag.

• Reply 13 of 19
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    jasonfj wrote: »

We'll have to wait until Canon posts the 'making of' video of the Burberry 'making of' video. Inception.

They've got some fairly hefty tripods:

It looks like the one on the left had a much bigger camera on it (on the right here):

That big lens could have been attached to a DSLR but they also have some equipment that looks like it would need a professional camera. There isn't really any sound in the shoot but they'd record it anyway and there's some mics that will use XLR connections on the camera.

There seems to have been a live broadcast of the show:

http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/columns/olivia-bergin/TMG8332943/Burberry-to-live-stream-London-Fashion-Week-show-at-Piccadilly-Circus.html

I wouldn't expect them to do that from the iPhones. It didn't look like they had bigger cameras up top so they might have switched back and forth but I expect the live stream will have come from the bigger camera. They'd naturally have DSLRs for taking photos so it's perfectly likely some of the behind the scenes was done on those.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    That opinion is a few years out of date, Burberry have massively scaled back use the use of their tan check and are now seen as a revitalised brand. They make some very nice stuff.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

That opinion is a few years out of date, Burberry have massively scaled back use the use of their tan check and are now seen as a revitalised brand. They make some very nice stuff.

Different social groups between us I guess, it's still roundly mocked as chav fashion up in t'north.

• Reply 16 of 19
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    In the South the whole of the North is seen as chavvy ;-)
  • Reply 17 of 19

That doesn't make me a douchebag.

But he wasn’t talking about that, was he?

• Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Quote:

Nice douchebag comment.

I don't think Apple should be associating themselves with brands that are viewed unfavourably. It's a bad plan. That doesn't make me a douchebag.

No, of course it doesn't. Your general attitude expressed in your comment is what would make you a douchebag.

Douchebaggery is an attitude.

• Reply 19 of 19
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

In the South the whole of the North is seen as chavvy ;-)

Now, now ... tisn't nice to be making fun of stout Yorkshire lads, hobbling 'round the pasture with their smalls down to their ankles and chasing the sheep.