Apple repurchases $14B of own stock over two weeks after 8% decline

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71

Wall Street investors are freaking scared of putting any money into Apple because they don't want to get burned like they got burned in 2012.  Who can blame them.  Many investors went out on a limb because a couple of Apple's target prices went over $1000.  A no-brainer right.  Hell, NO!  Apple fell like a ten-ton brick from the top of the Burj-Khalifa into the sub-basement, quickly wiping out hundreds of billions of dollars of dreams in an instant.  One day Apple was at $705 and shortly after at $390.  Who wants to go through that again?  Apple burned practically everyone that put their faith in that company.  YTD, Apple's share price still sucks horribly compared to other tech companies.

Apple is getting back what it deserved for giving away the smartphone market to Samsung and the rest of the Android bunch.  Apple had the opportunity to destroy Google's pet project of Android in all of 2012 but did almost nothing as Samsung went all out to wipe Apple's iPhone out of existence.  Now, Apple can't even manage to sell 55 million iPhones in a quarter because Samsung is selling around 86 million mediocre smartphones and sucking up huge amounts of market share.

So, Wall Street is not interested in buying Apple stock because they can make plenty of money elsewhere.  Apple had better be confident in itself because no one else is confident in Apple.  I still think Apple will be wasting its cash with any future buybacks.  Apple needs to take that cash and go directly after Google's search engine and ad business and rip it to shreds.  That would have all those rich Google investors who believe Google's search engine is invincible running for their lives.

• Reply 42 of 71
    So Apple can time their stock repurchases? I thought they were either carried out on a known schedule or they were carried out by a disinterested third party without Apple's direction.

Doesn't leaving the ability to repurchase shares when the stock is low (for whatever reason) create a conflict of interest? It would behoove the CEO or another highly placed person to undermine the stock in order to create an ideal buyback situation. Not saying that is what has happened (after all, if they were more focused on the opportunity, they should've bought back billions of their own stock when it sunk to the mid-$80 range at the beginning of the Depression/Recession...they could have essentially taken the company private at that point).
    foad wrote: »
    I would think that if Apple provided false information that tanked the stock and then bought, I think that would be illegal. If the market reacts negatively of its own free will and Apple takes advantage of it, then I don't see where the conflict would be. I could be completely wrong though.
    if anybody has read Steve Jobs' autobiography, you could see that before he came back to Apple from Next, his bud Larry Elison was mulling over doing exactly that, taking it private & giving jobs 25%, but he was against it as he said that he wants to go back to Apple's CEO if Apple wants it and not have it handed over to him... Ironically this is what started the options scandal , because jobs remembered this 25% that he was supposed to have in options and he felt that he was receiving much less for doing a great job, given to the low share value during the recession… Little bit of history for y'all
  • Reply 43 of 71
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    .Apple is getting back what it deserved ...

Another Odo-ism. Can't you get past the fact that your investment timing was bad and you bought in at the wrong time? There are times to get aboard and times to bail out. You missed on both counts, it appears. I sympathize, but it's not Apple's fault.

You're right that the market is not interested in Apple right now. I had a good ride with AAPL at 60% compounded annually for nearly four years, but I'm looking elsewhere at present. If someone bought high and is holding AAPL now, the decision in the current scenario is when to take one's losses and move on. The stock simply is not going to produce the meteoric gains that it did from early 2009 up to mid-2012, although solid but moderate gains should still be ahead.
  • Reply 44 of 71
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    kibitzer wrote: »
    Another Odo-ism. Can't you get past the fact that your investment timing was bad and you bought in at the wrong time? There are times to get aboard and times to bail out. You missed on both counts, it appears. I sympathize, but it's not Apple's fault.

You're right that the market is not interested in Apple right now. I had a good ride with AAPL at 60% compounded annually for nearly four years, but I'm looking elsewhere at present. If someone bought high and is holding AAPL now, the decision in the current scenario is when to take one's losses and move on. The stock simply is not going to produce the meteoric gains that it did from early 2009 up to mid-2012, although solid but moderate gains should still be ahead.

He's taken the reigns from Teckstud and Odo-isms are a good name but perhaps we need to put these cynical, foolish, and inaccurate anti-Apple comments in a Tumblr feed titled Constipated Oddisms (this way we don't step on any copyrights he may have with his username).
  • Reply 45 of 71
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Wall Street investors are freaking scared.... waaaahhh....waaaaahhh....waaaahhhh 

You know, there was a time way back when you weren't such a whiner.  That time is long gone.  You really need to take a chill-pill.  When I see your posts, I already know what it's going to be about before even reading it.  Go elsewhere will you?

• Reply 46 of 71
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Apple is getting back what it deserved for giving away the smartphone market to Samsung and the rest of the Android bunch.  Apple had the opportunity to destroy Google's pet project of Android in all of 2012 but did almost nothing as Samsung went all out to wipe Apple's iPhone out of existence.  Now, Apple can't even manage to sell 55 million iPhones in a quarter because Samsung is selling around 86 million mediocre smartphones and sucking up huge amounts of market share.

Too bad Apple is sucking up all the money, Samsung is scraping by on the same low end junk that almost killed Nokia.

Wall St thrives on volatility, it's how they fleece suckers and the unwary out of their money.

Scaring the timid into dumping their stock.

It's the World's biggest shell game, three card Monty fishing for rubes.
  • Reply 47 of 71
    At what rate does Apple accumulate cash monthly?
  • Reply 48 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What about buying 53, Tim? That would be a good use of a few 100M.
  • Reply 49 of 71
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nyuestateplanninglawyer View Post

OK - Here we go.

This was a great move by Tim Cook - fantastic action, and positive statement to WS Journal.

I am a HUGE Tim Cook supporter -only adjustment that I hope for in his actions was this - more positive verbal communications to the Press - and decisive action. This purchase was.

I am sure that Carl is thrilled with this statement. What we need is aggressive follow-up - authorized another $50 Billion - and keep buying buying buying on all weakness under $600. Borrow at low rates and lets get this stock up to $600 and don't let it fall below that number.

Mindset will then change with new product announcements and we will move where it should be which is in the $700-800 range.

Ultimate good move would be to announce additional program at the meeting, and a great stock split saying that Apple is extremely confident with its growth and new product launches in the forthcoming calendar year. -- great for Apple recruitment of top engineers, and long term shareholders

It is not in Apple's interest to do anything - such as announcements of intention - that might cause a rise in the value of their stock, making any intended buyback considerably more expensive.

In other words, what's best for Apple is actually the opposite of what you and Carl would consider to be in your best interests.

I love it when people like Carl say the have "Invested in Apple" when all they have done is take a gamble in the hope of enriching themselves.  The only people who actually have invested in Apple are those who bought the shares on first issue where the money paid went to Apple to fund it directly.  All subsequent share transactions are simply irrelevant to Apple as they don't materially benefit from them.

• Reply 50 of 71
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

For every buyer there must be a corresponding seller, so who were the people willing to sell $14bn worth of Apple stock? To me Apple seem like they will dominate consumer computing for the next 5 years at a minimum.

• Reply 51 of 71

I wonder. Considering the raft of penalties and charges levied against Apple by our government handlers in recent years, someone from the SEC may decide that the earnings call, followed by a large stock drop, followed by a massive buyback equals an opportunity to throw the book at Apple.

There's nothing there. Cook et al did nothing that gave them a differential advantage relative to any other shareholder.
  • Reply 52 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I think the message was we already have a buy back program and that Carl can go suck it. That is what Netflix told Carl, and its stock has being doing quite well since Carl sold. Carl fans should go research how he made his fortune as a corporate raider. He destroyed TWA making himself rich and leaving stockholders with nothing.

Carl was 't exactly hurting from that transaction (Netflix).

This is clearly a long-term holding by Carl, I personally (and Apple should) love that Carl parked $4 Billion in stock, got the focus back to how great Apple product line is.  "Free" loan - "Free" Advertising.  That's what drove the stock up from the high $300 where it was stuck due to manipulation and BS Stories from NY Times, and fools that like Apple turmoil for attention and profit.

In this case, Carl has been a "godsend" -  Focus- in this case

• Reply 53 of 71

Totally agree - 

All I do is "reinvest" automatically dividends.  I will continue to do so until the stock is at $800 per share.

…….

If you want income, sell a share.

-----

However, a small dividend like they have does bring in some people looking for income.   Just don't jack it up since its better to use the cash to reduce the number of shares outstanding.

• Reply 54 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

It is not in Apple's interest to do anything - such as announcements of intention - that might cause a rise in the value of their stock, making any intended buyback considerably more expensive.

In other words, what's best for Apple is actually the opposite of what you and Carl would consider to be in your best interests.

I love it when people like Carl say the have "Invested in Apple" when all they have done is take a gamble in the hope of enriching themselves.  The only people who actually have invested in Apple are those who bought the shares on first issue where the money paid went to Apple to fund it directly.  All subsequent share transactions are simply irrelevant to Apple as they don't materially benefit from them.

You clearly are above your head/pay grade on this subject.

We long term longs (I am one of the longest, up over 500% on my first shares purchased now) that have a high % allocation do not want additional shares - we have enough.  In fact, I kept buying options hand over fist when SJ was not well since I was "angry" what NY Times and other foul reporters/manipulators were saying about him and Apple's so-called pending demise.

Do you really think Carl wants to purchase more shares at $4 Billion now???

If Apple per share increases above $650-800 range - then so be it perhaps, no more repurchases. Do you really think that Apple wants to artificially get its price down so it can buy more shares?????????  No - its called taking advantage of a poor situation until changes.  Apple wants share price up - and trending reasonably up at least 10-20% a year to assist its employees and recruitment.

Comment of your so uninformed - so you really think that stock price irrelevant for borrowing?  (the value of the company)????  You don't think it impacts interest rates on loans (such as borrowing to pay dividends since cash stuck overseas due to terrible us tax policy)?   Irrelevant for recruitment?     You must be one of the guys that thinks raising the minimum wage whatever is irrelevant for how many people will be employed!

I gather you are one of those guys who blame whatever is not going right for them or whoever on "those rich people"?  I am not in Carl's category - but I am not angry at him because he is rich like some are

• Reply 55 of 71
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I have been saying this for a while, I do not believe the buy back will help Apple and iCahn most likely will not benefit from it or any other investors. If you have an account with Seeking Alpha you can read this person summary of what the buy back may not help. This guy did a nice job and if what he states happens then apple will be wasting the money buying back it own stock.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1994671-apple-a-piggy-bank-forever

• Reply 56 of 71
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

In this case, Carl has been a "godsend" -  Focus- in this case

God no!
  • Reply 57 of 71
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Fine by me. I'd rather have amazing growth and insane profitability than dividends. I was against the instituting of dividends at Apple and still see it as capitulation to Wall Street demands.

One has nothing to do with the other.  Paying dividends didn't stop growth, lack of new products stopped the growth.  Seriously, is it that hard to understand?

• Reply 58 of 71
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member

18 billion of the 60 billion buyback plan left, 20 billion in domestic cash left (and if you need to ask how I know don't bother responding, it's in the financials), only raised 17 billion of the 50 billion in debt they were going to take on.  I can only assume in March/April they will announce another 17-33 billion in debt, an expansion of the buyback program by another 50 billion, and that they will take on up to another 50 billion in debt.  Rates are still low so might as well continue to sit on the cash overseas and hope for that tax holiday.

But in the end that is all just financial manipulation.  It only matters if you think you can trust Cook, because what matters now are new products.  Cook has been alluding to them since he became CEO and Wall Street stopped buying his rhetoric a long time ago.  In theory a CEO should be in the best position to evaluate when and how to do buybacks.  So if you trust Cook you should be buying with both fists, and if you don't no reason to own the stock.

• Reply 59 of 71
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tkell31 wrote: »
    One has nothing to do with the other.  Paying dividends didn't stop growth, lack of new products stopped the growth.  Seriously, is it that hard to understand?

Lack of new products? Did I not see new iMacs, MBPs, iPhones and iPads in 2013? We even got a new Mac Pro. Do you honestly believe if they had updated all the iPods there would have been major growth a la 2009 when the iPhone was exploding? The bottom line is growth as a percentage is not infinitely sustainable.
  • Reply 60 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Lack of new products? Did I not see new iMacs, MBPs, iPhones and iPads in 2013? We even got a new Mac Pro. Do you honestly believe if they had updated all the iPods there would have been major growth a la 2009 when the iPhone was exploding? The bottom line is growth as a percentage is not infinitely sustainable.

I guess I should have been clear, new product lines.  I figured it was understood from the context, but apparently not.  iPhones and iPads are about tapped out in terms of revenue growth.  But the point remains, initiating dividends had nothing to do with the slowing growth.

Sure, law of large numbers and all, but new product lines would at least provide better growth then what we've seen for the last 18 months.