Apple rumored to use sapphire screen for 'iWatch,' but not next-gen iPhone

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    So what are the numbers ordered per your source? and is there a link?

Follow their source until you find the original source.
  • Reply 42 of 59
    Not sure why all these people on the Apple forums think that sapphire is more brittle than GG. It is like they never bothered to research it and are just making some assumptions based on conventional wisdom or the laughable press releases from Corning. GTAT paid for third party independent testing and the results speak for themselves. Corning basically released some press release that says sapphire is more fragile based on one of their tests. The fact that they decided to say sapphire is more brittle based on some cherry picked test and don't seem to want independent analysis speaks for itself. GG scratches and basically that is what leads to cracks and why sapphire will be much harder to crack.

When, all you people get your sapphire screen and see how many less cracks the Iphone gets you will look like idiots for saying it is more fragile than GG. Anyway, people who keep saying sapphire is more brittle have their facts completely wrong and need to educate themselves. http://electronics.wesrch.com/page-summary-pdf-EL1NABM8TGWZG-sapphire-touch-performance-and-design-guidelines-for-display-cover-screens-9
  • Reply 43 of 59
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    harris77 wrote: »
    GG scratches and basically that is what leads to cracks and why sapphire will be much harder to crack.

You had me up until that sentence. Hardness and strength are not the same thing. Just compare glass, CR-39 and polycarbonate lenses to see how the ability to shatter or crack v the ability to scratch.
  • Reply 44 of 59
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by harris77 View Post

Not sure why all these people on the Apple forums think that sapphire is more brittle than GG. It is like they never bothered to research it and are just making some assumptions based on conventional wisdom or the laughable press releases from Corning. GTAT paid for third party independent testing and the results speak for themselves. Corning basically released some press release that says sapphire is more fragile based on one of their tests. The fact that they decided to say sapphire is more brittle based on some cherry picked test and don't seem to want independent analysis speaks for itself. GG scratches and basically that is what leads to cracks and why sapphire will be much harder to crack.

When, all you people get your sapphire screen and see how many less cracks the Iphone gets you will look like idiots for saying it is more fragile than GG. Anyway, people who keep saying sapphire is more brittle have their facts completely wrong and need to educate themselves. http://electronics.wesrch.com/page-summary-pdf-EL1NABM8TGWZG-sapphire-touch-performance-and-design-guidelines-for-display-cover-screens-9

I don't think everyone is saying that but, in any case, it is a misleading statement. Brittle simply means low strain to failure, but since strain is a function of stress, related by the appropriate modulus (in the elastic regime) and more complete constitutive equation (in the plastic regime), brittleness alone says nothing about ease of fracture. Sapphire is quite brittle, but also much stronger (especially in tension - which controls crack formation), and, if used on an appropriate structure, less prone to cracking.

• Reply 45 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by harris77 View Post

GG scratches and basically that is what leads to cracks and why sapphire will be much harder to crack.

You had me up until that sentence. Hardness and strength are not the same thing. Just compare glass, CR-39 and polycarbonate lenses to see how the ability to shatter or crack v the ability to scratch.

Exactly correct. Scratch resistance is dominated by hardness, while crack resistance is determined by both tensile strength and strain to failure.  In other words there are at least a couple of different reasons why a material may resist cracking:

(1)  It has high strain to failure and will support substantial deformation without tensile failure (e.g. many plastics and ductile metals), but is not necessarily strong, and could be very weak.

(2)  It has high tensile strength, which may more than mitigate a low strain to failure.

Many steels are far more brittle than, for example, copper, but much more resistant to tensile failure because of their much higher moduli. 

• Reply 46 of 59
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Apple will not add sapphire glass on the iPhone just because they can. They are not samsung. Makes a lot more sense on a watch.
  • Reply 47 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Apple will not add sapphire glass on the iPhone just because they can. They are not samsung. Makes a lot more sense on a watch.

No, Apple will not add something just because they can. But they will add something just because they want to. Often, their wants line up with a greater user experience. Sometimes, not so much. But they always have their own rationale, which is much more rational than many competitors.

• Reply 48 of 59
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    No, Apple will not add something just because they can.
    Not unheard of, they added Coverflow everywhere, with seemingly little regard for how useful it is. And in physical attributes the razor handles on the metal Mac Pro. Arguably the glass back on the iPhone 4 was a "because they can" feature too, rather than something useful in itself.
  • Reply 49 of 59

That's an insightful comment. For Apple to succeed in the future it has to be constantly innovating, avoiding the machinations of the 'Me2' brigade, whilst maintaining the support of those of us who continue to use their products. I'll have to sign off, we are currently in the middle of a 100 mph+ storm.

Greatrix.

• Reply 50 of 59
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    The next iPhone not having sapphire glass will just be another reason to bring down the share price and say Apple isn't innovating.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    Remember when Apple paid 12M for that Swiss watch face design? I think they are making a watch.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    crowley wrote: »
    Not unheard of, they added Coverflow everywhere, with seemingly little regard for how useful it is. And in physical attributes the razor handles on the metal Mac Pro. Arguably the glass back on the iPhone 4 was a "because they can" feature too, rather than something useful in itself.

Those were design choices that didn't impact the price as much as adding a sapphire cover glass would.
  • Reply 53 of 59
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    So Sapphire Glass means no flexible oled? As far as I know sapphire glass doesn't bend well, if at all.
  • Reply 54 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

So Sapphire Glass means no flexible oled? As far as I know sapphire glass doesn't bend well, if at all.

Yes - I was wondering about that too. It would seem to rule out the flexible, curved design that keeps being floated.

• Reply 55 of 59

Apple using OLED was fantasy in the first place.

• Reply 56 of 59
    muppetry wrote: »
    Yes - I was wondering about that too. It would seem to rule out the flexible, curved design that keeps being floated.

I think the terms flexible and curved get conflated too often in these rumors. I can see a non-flat (in terms of being beveled) sapphire component to an iWatch, but not necessary a curved display underneath. If there is a curved display I'd still expect it to be inflexible. I don't think we're at a point where we can make these "computery" components stand up to the wear and tear of being flexed repeatedly.
  • Reply 57 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I think the terms flexible and curved get conflated too often in these rumors. I can see a non-flat (in terms of being beveled) sapphire component to an iWatch, but not necessary a curved display underneath. If there is a curved display I'd still expect it to be inflexible. I don't think we're at a point where we can make these "computery" components are able to stand the wear of being flexed repeatedly.

Yes - that makes sense. I think I've been seduced by the "artists" impressions that imply sleek, curved bands with integrated screens. Maybe next year.

• Reply 58 of 59
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Actually it can be flexible, and so formed into a curved surface: depends on how thick the material is: on the original tech companies webpages (they were bought by GT Advanced, IIRC they were more focused on solar panels while GT advanced is more general) they showed a Saphire laminate on a metal sheet rolled up quite nicely. And in many of the reports on GT Advanced and Apple laminates are specifically mentioned...