Apple's iPad takes 91.4% share of enterprise tablets; iOS takes 73% share overall

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40

Google is going to $1400 a share because Android has almost 90% global market share.  Apple will be lucky to reach $550 a share this year.  Without Google, there is no internet.  No one cares about Apple's iPhone meager market share.  iOS trying to take down Android is like a flea trying to knock over an elephant.  iPhone market share has become a rounding error and Google shareholders are getting rich, rich, rich from Google's unlimited growth and dazzling future filled with driverless cars and autonomous robots.

/s

• Reply 22 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    You have to feel sorry for the poor folks that are given non Apple tablets at their place of work. I didn't hear any more about those Delta pilots that got the MS crap dumped on them. Anyone hear how that is going, I have to fly to Alaska soon on Delta and this worries me!
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Google is going to $1400 a share because Android has almost 90% global market share.  Apple will be lucky to reach $550 a share this year.  Without Google, there is no internet.  No one cares about Apple's iPhone meager market share.  iOS trying to take down Android is like a flea trying to knock over an elephant.  iPhone market share has become a rounding error and Google shareholders are getting rich, rich, rich from Google's unlimited growth and dazzling future filled with driverless cars and autonomous robots.

/s

Well you are being sarcastic but staggeringly, that is Wall Street's actual position ... sans the '/s'!
  • Reply 24 of 40
    sudonym wrote: »
    This makes it sound like Apple is finally the new IBM!  It used to be that computers at work were all "IBM compatible".  Now, they have to be an iPad. 

... And not only an iPad but one running iWorks, the "good enough for what I need" office suite.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In contrast, "Android's share of activations continued to decrease quarter over quarter at 26 percent," while "Windows Phone activations remained steady at one percent of total device activations in both quarters."

Because:

1. You can't trust either Samsung or Google to do the right thing for enterprise, and

2. You can't expect Microsoft to whole-heartedly cannibalize their legacy Windows + Office monopoly.

Samsung and Google aren't acting like long-term players in the mobile enterprise market.  They're both scrambling in response to Apple's success in enterprise.  And the biggest problem with reacting like that is that you can't plan ahead.  You have no long-term plan.   Which means you don't control your own destiny.  Corporate IT managers can see that.

Microsoft has been half-assed about mobile ever since the iPhone 2G was announced.  Either through total misunderstanding of the consumer market, or willful disregard of the importance of mobile in general, or because of the instinctive institutional need to protect their legacy bread-and-butter desktop Windows + Office business.  Or some combination of all three.  And being half-assed about mobile has resulted in KIN, Windows 8, Windows RT, Surface Pro, Surface RT, Windows Phone, the Nokia acquisition, and who knows what else is in store for Microsoft in the Post-Ballmer era.

But, just for laughs, let's quantum-leap to an alternate universe in which iOS and Windows Phone + Windows 8 are battling it out neck-and-neck for corporate IT dollars.  (I know, I know, it's quite a leap !!!)  Microsoft is still in deep trouble in that oh-so-improbable universe.  Because Apple has set mobile OS update fees at $0.00.  iOS apps start at $0.99, and Apple's own "iWork" suite is now free.  In response, Microsoft is forced to lower its Windows update fees and Office licensing fees.  Especially the mobile versions.  And as Microsoft's mobile share of corporate IT dollars eats into its desktop share (remember, this is an alternate reality here) its overall software revenue declines.

Microsoft is in trouble either way in mobile corporate IT: lose revenue to Apple or lose revenue by cannibalizing their own (higher priced) legacy desktop Windows + Office license revenue.  This might explain why they're so half-assed in mobile.  They lose whether or not Apple eats their lunch.

• Reply 26 of 40
    mistercow wrote: »

1. Adobe Photoshop is available for the Apple iPad in addition to a much larger selection of competing apps than are available for Microsoft Windows PCs
    2. Audodesk AutoCAD 360 is available for the Apple iPad in addition to a much larger selection of competing apps than are available for Microsoft Windows PCs
    3. Microsoft VBA is a tool which is being displaced in the market
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

1. Adobe Photoshop is available for the Apple iPad in addition to a much larger selection of competing apps than are available for Microsoft Windows PCs

2. Audodesk AutoCAD 360 is available for the Apple iPad in addition to a much larger selection of competing apps than are available for Microsoft Windows PCs

1 and 2.  Both are neutered versions.  I can't speak personally for the Photoshop app, but the Autocad app functions more as a viewer.  You aren't going to be doing any design using this app.  From what I understand, the Photoshop app can do some basic edits, but nothing near what the full version can do (again this is hearsay as I haven't used it personally).

As for 3, I didn't realize Excel was being displaced in the market.  

• Reply 28 of 40

here is the thing Most business dose not use Photosop or Autocad most and im guessing 99% of enterprise business uses "Office suites" iWork is perfectly acceptable to 90% of those people.

I work in very large Multi National and am one of the few people that uses VBA for all of my work "No Tablet" (or laptop) would be good enough (due to lack of processor speed) for my needs. 

so  my point is iPads are fine for Business. as long as you recognize Power users will always need a desktop.

• Reply 29 of 40
    Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

Not sure who youre quoting

Probably because I’m not.

Second, when people say no one, it's generally understood as a superlative.

Or maybe they mean what they say for once.

Third, when people refer to business, they generally refer to more than just word processing or using it as a reader, which the statistics presented have no evidence against or in support of. 

Exactly. No evidence against or in support of. YOU are making it up. So stop.

• Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nyuestateplanninglawyer View Post

Perhaps most of those complaining about the size simply don't have any education and think "big is good" … like 32 ounce Coke, 400 pound body, big mac with extra sauce?

I'd like the big mac myself - the Mac Pro. Hold the sauce please!

• Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Google is going to $1400 a share because Android has almost 90% global market share.  Apple will be lucky to reach $550 a share this year. 

/s

OK, I did see your /s tag, so I'm not sure if you are joking or whether you are serious (as you are generally with Apple stock prices).

However, given that Apple's market cap is more than Google's what does it mean? Lower Market Cap + Higher Share Price = less shares on the market. That would explain the high price for Google.

Of course, the Street is irrational when it comes to Apple, but whatever it is, it seems naïve to expect Apple shares to match Google's in price right now, or in the near future.

• Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

Not sure how they're lies.  There's still quite a bit of stuff that an iPad can't do in a business sense.  Last I heard it can't run Photoshop, AutoCAD, or VBA macros, etc.  And based on the stat presented, you have no idea what those companies that have activated iPads are using them for. They could just be used as a reader for all you know.

iPads can't make coffee or sort the magazines in a business sense either.  90% of what a company does on computers is not Photoshop or AutoCad.  (I will admit there are some companies where VBA is used in a large percentage of their business process flows).  

Reading and writing documents is what most decision makers do anyway. 

Business Flow grade (VBAs) Excel is the outlier app.  Just about everything else can be easily created on an iPad, and created on an iPhone.

iPads are the new blackberries... I watch the CTO  of the engineering (cad and project management ) company I consult with sit with an iPad in a keypad case work at his desk next to his nice (massive screen) Lenovo laptop.  iPads work with all their field force apps, even JDEdwards, an AS400 ERP (through WebCenter).   And as VDI comes into play, he said he'd never use his laptop (my job to get a secure VDI in his shop).

With companies like Good, MDM is easy and comprehensive, a requirement in any organization that has to meet 'end to end' asset management requirements.

The only caveat is that Good Mobile only sees the systems it connects to the network, typically because IT has a requirement to 'manage' connectivity, and it has no visibility into the shops that are still BES based.     In 'open' offices, BYOD would likely show a strong android balance, as there would be less corporate requirement for end to end system integrity ('oh, you have one of 40,000 combinations of size, function, and OS of android?  it should work... but if it doesn't, shouldn't affect anyone but you'.... Things you don't want to hear in a hospital;-) )

• Reply 33 of 40
    OK, I did see your /s tag, so I'm not sure if you are joking or whether you are serious (as you are generally with Apple stock prices).

However, given that Apple's market cap is more than Google's what does it mean? Lower Market Cap + Higher Share Price = less shares on the market. That would explain the high price for Google.

Of course, the Street is irrational when it comes to Apple, but whatever it is, it seems naïve to expect Apple shares to match Google's in price right now, or in the near future.

Hey, don't use logic and math ... 'Google's Shares are more expensive so Google is better /bigger/more innovative (take your pick) than Apple'... all my friends and neighbors tell me this so it must be true ... :no:
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Now if only people could actually read and edit documents on a 4" like they can on a 5" screen...

Oh please. Here you are again. You really are obsessive with this meme, aren't you? Most of your posts are all about Apple not having a 5" iPhone screen...

Want a bigger screen? Get an iPad. Seriously. Different tools, different uses.

Personally, I don't want to "edit documents" (whatever that generic phrase actually refers to), on my PHONE. I wouldn't want to do that on a 5" screen either. Doing that kind of work is somewhat manageable on my iPad Mini (8") screen, Even better on the full-sized 10" iPad. Right tools for the job, eh?

I could see Apple releasing a smaller iPad "Nano" (6"?) perhaps with more focus on gaming, or even a hybrid device down the road. It won't likely be a 5" or 6" "iPhone" though...

BUT, if the day comes when Apple releases a 5" iPhone, you had better be first in line to buy it. 

• Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yada yada, “worthless for business”, yada yada “not being used”…

Can we agree to ban anyone who says that from now on?

Agree.

But let's also ban annoying, repetitive people who keep pretending that Apple remains an underdog that everyone underestimates.

• Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Oh? What's replacing VBA?

• Reply 37 of 40
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Definitely not AppleScript. L
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

But let's also ban annoying, repetitive people who keep pretending that Apple remains an underdog that everyone underestimates.

Wall Street needs the underestimation pill shoved down their throats.

• Reply 39 of 40
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    crowley wrote: »
    Definitely not AppleScript. L

Javascript is an option. This is one of the few interpreted languages that works on iOS because Apple develops the engine to run it. It's used as the scripting language in After Effects.

Apple could use Javascript in apps like Numbers and the same code would work in their web version as a browser will run it too. I'd expect Microsoft could port VBA functions over to Javascript in a fairly automated way and that way the same engine works on their Windows RT devices. I'd rather it was Python/Ruby and same throughout OS X but Javascript has ubiquity because of browsers.
  • Reply 40 of 40

It's pretty impressive how Apple is the standard in entreprises. Obviously it depends on the sector your in. In my case, I work in an advertising company and I can tell that Apple iPad, iPhone and Macbook are standards, at least in my company. The "revolution" is actually the iPad, we use it since one year now with the business app Beesy and it sustainably changed our collective way of working, for better.The thing is that together, apple devices can get very powerful. There is a real synergy between devices that, I think, you can't find in windows.