Apple readying April unveiling of new Apple TV, may partner with Time Warner

Comments

• Reply 41 of 117

Imagine a 2 or 3 TB Airport Time Capsule/Apple TV hybrid device (in Apple TV Black) that can wirelessly beam form content to multiple optional 802.11ac Wifi enabled Apple Retina Displays in multiple rooms of the house. Wireless TV with one "box"-BOOM!

I have an aging Airport Extpress and 3rd Gen Apple TV and would love to upgrade them both in one stroke. I'm waiting....

• Reply 42 of 117
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Games run already on iPhones. Most can be scaled up with just art changes.

True, but given that Apple's been working on approving real handheld gaming controllers, I think things are being kicked up a notch.

Regardless of their 'hobbyist' claims, Apple only enters product categories to win them.

• Reply 43 of 117
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

That makes the most sense.  There's no need to pre-announce a product that supposedly isn't shipping until Christmas time "unless" it requires the support of 3rd party software developers. 

Pretty much a tacit confirmation of App store support. 

And in the case of AppleTV, there is absolutely no reason not to release the hardware update prior to the second, third, and fourth waves of major App releases. Apple's revised AppleTV hardware and software will be 100% and ready to ship....with a few major App partners ready to release Apps on day 1....no reason not to ship that product as an upgrade over the existing. As more Apps come on board, the better. But that has nothing to do with hardware release.

• Reply 44 of 117
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    frank777 wrote: »
    True, but given that Apple's been working on approving real handheld gaming controllers, I think things are being kicked up a notch.

Regardless of their 'hobbyist' claims, Apple only enters product categories to win them.

I agree that it is being kicked up a notch but that API is already in the SDK. As is Spritekit, OpenGL and any engines on top of the latter (like Cocos2D).

Yes this hobby might be the greatest idea they've had. Proof they think years ahead.

Does anybody know the latest Apple TV sales?
  • Reply 45 of 117
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Games run already on iPhones. Most can be scaled up with just art changes.

Aren't the pixel shapes different from computing displays versus HDTV displays?

• Reply 46 of 117
    My thoughts, if they talk about it in April it will be out by June. It's just the Apple way.

Any thing with Time Warner is likely on the lines of getting them to the party on these 'with cable subscription' gigs. TWC has been notorious for not playing on that front. If they did, and Apple could get all nets to have an app, there would be no need for a cable box. The Apple TV would be that piece of the puzzle
  • Reply 47 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

The only hinderance I see from completely replacing boxes is the lack of DVR functionality. 

They don't really need it if they can get Hulu, cable apps etc to stop limiting to the 'last X episodes'. Then you can get it when you want. Allowing folks to pay a little more money to get ad free wouldn't be bad but don't count on it. Networks hate DVRs and would use that as a firm point with contracts. See those ads are how the networks make money. No way are they going to allow anyone to cut that off. Unless they can get from the viewers the money they lost by losing those eyeballs. That's likely why iTunes prices are so high, that's their judgement on how much ad money that episode would have gotten them. 

• Reply 48 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Is the gap time so developers can make apps?

Many of these apps already exist. If Apple would use iOS as the basis and create a store rather than having the apps baked in, then many of the apps already on iPads etc could be used with little to no change. 

• Reply 49 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

actually it would not matter where Time Warner is located, in theory they can stream their content to you as long as you has internet access on any provider, no different than netflix or hulu. 

In a tech sense yes. But in a legal sense, perhaps no. Part of the reason why you only have one or perhaps two options for cable internet and tv is because of legally allowed contracts that the companies won't overlap. TWC would be hard pressed to show that they aren't violating such contracts by streaming a tv content service in another company's turf. 

And if that was what Apple was going for, frankly they would probably have better luck trying to get some kind of streaming into their iTunes store. Something like how lala.com did ten cent streaming only access to songs. or even perhaps on some things a streaming now, download in six months when the dvds come out. 

• Reply 50 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

And in the case of AppleTV, there is absolutely no reason not to release the hardware update prior to the second, third, and fourth waves of major App releases. Apple's revised AppleTV hardware and software will be 100% and ready to ship....with a few major App partners ready to release Apps on day 1....no reason not to ship that product as an upgrade over the existing. As more Apps come on board, the better. But that has nothing to do with hardware release.

Betting it's a confluence of factors. 

Supply -  Apple would need a lot of A7 processors and Broadcom supporting chips 

Software- I feel like it's non-trivial to take games from mobile devices to a larger TV smoothly.  Plus there needs to be wow factor. 

I don't think the hardware is ready.   Broadcom just announced their new HEVC stuff with means volume production starts soon. 

• Reply 51 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

There is simply no reason to announce an update before it will be ready to ship. The Mac Pro was an exception because sales of the old model had already dried up and were actually banned in the EU.

In general it's not Apple's Style. talk now, release later opens up talk of delays etc. By not talking until it is ready it really isn't 'delayed' because no date was ever announced. 

I could see them perhaps announcing it at WWDC with the box coming out 'now' and then saying X,Y,Z features would be launching with the new TV season in the fall. 

• Reply 52 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Future Man View Post

The problem with cable companies is that these are fractionalized into geographic regions for content distribution, so how does Apple 'break' this imposed-model for distribution to a nation-wide population?

I would love to see it. Heck I would love to see them break the international regions. Let us get Sherlock, Downton Abbey etc as they first air. Might cut back on torrents etc. 

• Reply 53 of 117
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    TWC app? The Weather Channel? Like The Weather Channel on AppleTV?

Time Warner Cable (TWC), they're already on the Roku. It's like a set top box but you'll only get a limited number of channels, not the entire lineup.
  • Reply 54 of 117
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

They don't really need it if they can get Hulu, cable apps etc to stop limiting to the 'last X episodes'. Then you can get it when you want. Allowing folks to pay a little more money to get ad free wouldn't be bad but don't count on it. Networks hate DVRs and would use that as a firm point with contracts. See those ads are how the networks make money. No way are they going to allow anyone to cut that off. Unless they can get from the viewers the money they lost by losing those eyeballs. That's likely why iTunes prices are so high, that's their judgement on how much ad money that episode would have gotten them. 

People will be very reluctant to give up their DVR. It is not just network shows after all. What about local  programs like news or local sports and other shows, or sports events, or more obscure cable channels and shows that do not have VOD or Hulu options. I rarely watch any live TV. Almost all my shows are pre-recorded on my DVR. 

• Reply 55 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

And we've known for awhile that gaming would be part of the new Apple TV mix.

not to beat a dead horse, okay yeah to beat a dead horse. 

no we don't KNOW that. We know there are folks that want it and rumors they will get it. But until Apple says so, nothing is known

• Reply 56 of 117
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

not to beat a dead horse, okay yeah to beat a dead horse. 

no we don't KNOW that. We know there are folks that want it and rumors they will get it. But until Apple says so, nothing is known

Apple has said so. Actions speak louder...

• Reply 57 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This is looking really great.  I think they will also release a version with a screen.  Sorta like the MacMini and iMac duo.

AppleTV Mini - set top box $299

iTV - all in one - $1999 - $2999

More like

Apple TV set top box $99-199 (I think a lot of folks would pay $200 for a 32/64GB box that has better graphics and sound support).  

Apple Cinema Display with both thunderbolt and HDMI support at tv capable (perhaps even 3d capable) frame rates etc and sizes from 27-46 inches $999-$1999

• Reply 58 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

People will be very reluctant to give up their DVR. 

So what, just cause folks are reluctant doesn't mean that Apple must or will compensate for that. you want to keep it, keep it. 

• Reply 59 of 117

Yes- everyone I know 'hates/dislikes' the monthly cable billing and viewing model.  There's a fortune to be made by anyone who can break the mold.  The entity in the driver's seat- are the content providers.

• Reply 60 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Apple has said so. Actions speak louder...

Add in Sprite Kit as well and it's obvious that iOS gaming is expanding out to the television.   We won't know for sure until Apple announces it but it's extremely likely.