Thousands show up for the opening of the first Apple Store in Latin America

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 53
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

    Wow. Are you really thinking that people didn't buy Apple products in Brasil until now?



    No. Seems like that would be silly to think. Good thing I wasn’t.

     

    One of the reasons Apple opened their store is also because people are already accustomed to Apple products.


     

    Equally silly to think that there wouldn’t be excitement about the Apple experience now available from beginning to end.

  • Reply 42 of 53
    crowley wrote: »
    Sorry, are you implying that people only have desire for Apple products? Because that's the logical end point of those two sentences. You think people don't want Ferraris?

    Apple store openings are a cultural phenomenon I really don't understand. I have plenty of desire for the products, but that's a quite different thing from queuing for a store opening.

    For myself, I felt much the same way you do... then I stood in line for a store opening and felt the excitement, and enjoyed being able to talk about the product with people that didn't require a preliminary explanation, and it changed my whole perception about Apple store openings. It was fun to have done it even though I never expected that I would find it so enjoyable. I'd do it again. P.S. I'm not a techno-nut and I'm 70 years old.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    gwmac wrote: »
    Yes. They should have used - Over a thousand, Nearly two thousand, Close to two thousand but thousands would require at the very minimum two thousand or more. You can have similar debates over words like a couple, a few, many, and several. My general rule of thumb is a couple is 2, a few is 3 and rarely 4, several would mean at least three but not exceeding five, and many would be more than 6 those those certainly are up for debate. But when it comes to thousands the rule is very clear that it requires more than 2,000 since when you write out 1,7000 it is one thousand seven hundred and one is not plural. 

    Hundreds and thousand!

    Nah, doesn't really sound right.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    I say this as a guy who loves Brazil--I've lived there on multiple occasions and maintain an apartment in Rio--but how long will it be before the Barra da Tijuca store is robbed?
  • Reply 45 of 53
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member

    I had the good fortune to go the grand opening of the Apple store at Columbia Mall in Maryland! While it wasn't in the thousand(s), it was still a pretty neat experience! Much excitement and enthusiasm! Fortunately it lacked the line dancing used at some other stores!

  • Reply 46 of 53
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post





    Hundreds and thousand!



    Nah, doesn't really sound right.

    I listed three alternative suggestions and none included that one. Not sure why you even quoted my post. 

  • Reply 47 of 53
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Bwana_Dik View Post



    I say this as a guy who loves Brazil--I've lived there on multiple occasions and maintain an apartment in Rio--but how long will it be before the Barra da Tijuca store is robbed?

     

    You don't seem to love Brazil, then - Apple Stores have already been robbed multiple times in the US, Germany and France...so what?

  • Reply 48 of 53
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

     

    I listed three alternative suggestions and none included that one. Not sure why you even quoted my post. 


     

    Seeing as how you and others were being so pedantic over the use of "thousands", I presented an alternative.

     

    1.7 is greater than 1.5 so rounds up to 2.

     

    Therefore "thousands" stands as an apt descriptor.

     

    Basic mathematics.

  • Reply 49 of 53
    gwmac wrote: »
    And also patently obvious. Once you reach 10,000 you start using tens of thousands. Although if you choose to be less precise you could technically use thousands all the way up to a million I suppose. I prefer less ambiguity. 

    There's no limit to the number you could describe in the thousands, but I get your point.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    crowley wrote: »
    Sorry, are you implying that people only have desire for Apple products? Because that's the logical end point of those two sentences. You think people don't want Ferraris?

    Apple store openings are a cultural phenomenon I really don't understand. I have plenty of desire for the products, but that's a quite different thing from queuing for a store opening.

    Queuing for a store opening is an expression of love for the products that company makes, and is also a statement of the strength of passion that product engenders.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    On the one hand I think you're correct.  We can split hairs and go either way, cite different dictionaries to support one side or the other.  But I'm with you, their wording is slightly on the inaccurate side and could easily be improved.

    On the other hand, I think it's a minor flaw in today's headline.  "Thousands" is almost OK.  Sometimes, AI's headlines have words that aren't even close to OK and they seem like major flaws to me.  I think I'll speak up the next time I see one of those.

    Mark Twain gave instruction on how to write well:  "Use the correct word, not its first cousin."  So in this case I think "thousands" is the first cousin of the correct word, but sometimes we see headline words that aren't even related to the correct word!

    Well, rounded up, 1700 is 2000, so therefore thousands.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    For myself, I felt much the same way you do... then I stood in line for a store opening and felt the excitement, and enjoyed being able to talk about the product with people that didn't require a preliminary explanation, and it changed my whole perception about Apple store openings. It was fun to have done it even though I never expected that I would find it so enjoyable. I'd do it again. P.S. I'm not a techno-nut and I'm 70 years old.

    I find your humour timeless.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post





    Well, rounded up, 1700 is 2000, so therefore thousands.

    Exactly, and an iPhone is a thousand dollar phone.

Sign In or Register to comment.