Apple's Jony Ive nearly gave up on industrial design in college

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45

Does make you wonder, though, which industry could have been that much better if he had switched. With that much talent and brains he likely would have made an impact wherever he ended up.

• Reply 22 of 45
    I'm sure Karen had nothing to do with the basic mechanical layout of the Bond Bug, just the styling—but honestly, 100 years ago there were plenty of 3-wheeled cars (Morgan was only one of the latest and most successful), but that's because they knew which end to put the single wheel on! These single-front-wheel abominations are waiting to capsize just sitting there.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    juiljuil Posts: 75member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

The grammar police are here?? :\

The grammar policeses are here!

• Reply 24 of 45
    ireland wrote: »
    I have a dream I ain't given' up on eider.

I have a dream I'm not giving up on either.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    comley wrote: »
    Well I'm dyslexic I'm screwed

Well, I'm dyslexic; I'm screwed.

You did very well; you just missed out on a bit of punctuation.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Probably a miss quote but "... my son Jonathan's at university in Newcastle". To be accurate, he was at Newcastle Polytechnic, a totally separate institution at the time. Newcastle University is right across the road and both were excellent places.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    They're both in Newcastle though. The quote lacks precision, but it's not incorrect.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

The grammar police are here?? :\

I used to not be able to spell deziner designer, now I are one.

• Reply 29 of 45
    I almost gave up on the last piece of pizza. I reached deep within and found the strength to persevere. Still awaiting accolades.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    crowley wrote: »
    They're both in Newcastle though. The quote lacks precision, but it's not incorrect.

You think? Back in those days there was a massive difference between a University and a Polytechnic (it may have been all made the same now but not then). They differed in entrance requirements not to mention the courses and qualifications received ... and dare I say 'prestige' or is that not PC these days. :D I attended both over a few years at the time. I did a foundation course at the Poly and went on to get my Degree at the University. In fact my best mate was on the same Industrial Design course as Jony at Newcastle Poly and I spent many an hour watching those guys playing in there with their fibre glass and band saws ... I was always quite envious of the fun that course was compared to mine.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    "Like Steve did, I only hope that Jony's legacy also includes having someone that follows his footsteps in design and beliefs"

As Steve did, I only hope that Jony's legacy also includes having someone who follows his footsteps in design and beliefs.

FTFY;)
  • Reply 33 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    One look at those five pics indicates to me a need for more design expertise. The car, radio and by cycle all look like crap.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    macxpress wrote: »
    I hope so too. Jony has played just as much of a part of Apple's success as anyone. He just never gets recognized for it, although I think he likes it that way.

Not sure that's true, I feel Jony is credited with much of Apple's success but perhaps that's just my perception as i am from that world. Maybe the unwashed masses don't know ... :\
  • Reply 35 of 45
    rogifan wrote: »
    Like father, like son, at least with the facial hair.

845d0cd9-c824-02b5-f0d7-d227966c6991.jpg?width=605&quality=90&crop=auto

Burle Ive?
  • Reply 36 of 45
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You think? Back in those days there was a massive difference between a University and a Polytechnic (it may have been all made the same now but not then). They differed in entrance requirements not to mention the courses and qualifications received ... and dare I say 'prestige' or is that not PC these days. image I attended both over a few years at the time. I did a foundation course at the Poly and went on to get my Degree at the University. In fact my best mate was on the same Industrial Design course as Jony at Newcastle Poly and I spent many an hour watching those guys playing in there with their fibre glass and band saws ... I was always quite envious of the fun that course was compared to mine.

Oh, I see your point now.  Yes, I suppose it's technically (polytechnically, in fact ;)) incorrect then.

• Reply 37 of 45
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I think this just goes to show anyone who is thinking about giving up to never give up. 

There's giving up and there's cutting your losses.  I took a job with Apple on July 1st of last year.  I quit on August 12th.  There way no way staying at that job was going to be good for me or for Apple.  Cut my losses, moved on.

• Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

There's giving up and there's cutting your losses.  I took a job with Apple on July 1st of last year.  I quit on August 12th.  There way no way staying at that job was going to be good for me or for Apple.  Cut my losses, moved on.

I meant if you're passionate about something don't give up on it just because its hard, or you can't think you'll be able to do it. Hard work pays off in the end.

If the job at Apple was a dead-end job then you shouldn't have taken it in the first place. Sounds like you just took it because you wanted to be able to say you work for Apple. 

• Reply 39 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

One look at those five pics indicates to me a need for more design expertise. The car, radio and by cycle all look like crap.

They were all advanced design for their times.  The fact that none were ever produced clearly demonstrates that the design, while it may be dazzling or attractive, needs to be subservient to the function.  The same could be said for Mr. Ive's design work.  Eye-catching but not user friendly.  True, Apple phones, pads, and laptops look nice.  But, if given a choice, I can accept a clunky exterior design in favor of stuff that works internally.  I do not purchase my devices for their appearance.  The way they make my life easier and/or more productive is far more important.

That said...is is pleasant to have a good looking exterior.

• Reply 40 of 45
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Sounds like you just took it because you wanted to be able to say you work for Apple. 

Fabulous assumption on your part, but wrong.  I had never really considered working for Apple as I am not an engineer or software designer.  My previous employer went out of business so I started looking in earnest for something that was a fit.  I found a job in customer service at Apple.  Turns out I'm not well suited for call center work.