Apple to build second 'tactical datacenter' at Maiden, NC facility

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    Why would wiping the device affect Apple's internal records? Apple should still know that the device is still registered to your account. The only reason you would lose access to the additional storage is if you sell the device and unlink it from your account so that someone else can register the device.

So let's say you wipe the device to sell it. How does that online storage move from one owner to the next? Wiping it unlinks your email already. The only "hard" linking is through a feature they only introduced in iOS 7 to prevent thieves from activating it if it's stolen. No one has ever mentioned this as a means for tying data to an account (except me).

So lets say Apple has the same idea that I do. I ready my device to sell it which means turning off Find My iPhone. When does that data drop from my account? Immediately? A week? A month? What if puts me over the limit? What happens to my data?

The last time I asked this here people said it should always stay on the account. Does that mean I can then buy a dozen devices in the Apple Store, tie them to my account, wipe them and then return them for full refunds to get 12x the online storage?

Maybe restrict the storage space to the original purchaser when the device is bought directly from Apple to incentivize direct sales, then low or no storage options for private resales? In other words, once you paid Apple, you bought the storage...in fact you could have the option of selling the device with or without the associated online storage space! Could create an entire new supply and demand market for online storage.

Direct sales might work but I wonder if Apple likes the high resale value with their iDevices (not that I think it would affect it much, or at all).

The simple answer isn't to do this complex dance with devices but to simply give users more data that 99.999% of users who need to do backups and hold mail will not to worry about storage. I was still under 5GB with 2 devices but I was getting those stupid daily warning messages once I hit 4.8GB even though that wasn't going to move to 4.9GB for a very long time.

One solution was to simply migrate my mail off iCloud so save 400GB. Instead I opted to use a different account on my iPad mini for the backup, but I think for security reasons I'll do that with both devices so that my iCloud email is not he same one I will use for backups or Find My iPhone.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    solipsismx wrote: »
    So let's say you wipe the device to sell it. How does that online storage move from one owner to the next? Wiping it unlinks your email already. The only "hard" linking is through a feature they only introduced in iOS 7 to prevent thieves from activating it if it's stolen. No one has ever mentioned this as a means for tying data to an account (except me).

So lets say Apple has the same idea that I do. I ready my device to sell it which means turning off Find My iPhone. When does that data drop from my account? Immediately? A week? A month? What if puts me over the limit? What happens to my data?

The last time I asked this here people said it should always stay on the account. Does that mean I can then buy a dozen devices in the Apple Store, tie them to my account, wipe them and then return them for full refunds to get 12x the online storage?
    Direct sales might work but I wonder if Apple likes the high resale value with their iDevices (not that I think it would affect it much, or at all).

The simple answer isn't to do this complex dance with devices but to simply give users more data that 99.999% of users who need to do backups and hold mail will not to worry about storage. I was still under 5GB with 2 devices but I was getting those stupid daily warning messages once I hit 4.8GB even though that wasn't going to move to 4.9GB for a very long time.

One solution was to simply migrate my mail off iCloud so save 400GB. Instead I opted to use a different account on my iPad mini for the backup, but I think for security reasons I'll do that with both devices so that my iCloud email is not he same one I will use for backups or Find My iPhone.

In any event, a higher base amount of iCloud storage would be a nice gesture.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    The iCloud storage thing has been an issue with me for some time. IMO, it would make far, far more sense for Apple to apportion an amount of online storage equal to the capacity of the device. When a person shells out for a 64GB iPad, not just a 16GB, it only makes sense to me that they'd have an iCloud account capable of backing up the entire iOS device.

I don't backup to iCloud, but use iTunes (for reasons I don't even remember; whatever). And the backup certainly isn't the same size as the content it is holding. In fact, after restoring a backup on an iOS device it tells me to sync it with iTunes to I get my media (photo/video/music, possibly more) back on the device. Is that different by backing up to iCloud? I once restored a friends' device from an iCloud backup and I think I had to connect it to iTunes to get the media back on there again.

At any rate, this I believe is what Apple thinks they did right: grant the user a free backup solution in case they lost their iOS device, which has their SMS, settings, wallpaper, whatnot on it. Including email, as that could be considered the most important data to users. All media is a separate backup through photo stream / iTunes music + movie/TV purchases already so no need to include that in the free default 5GB.

Does any of this makes sense? (I only slept for 4 hours and did a 90km cycling workout in 2h40m so feel a little...can't describe it)
  • Reply 24 of 31
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

In any event, a higher base amount of iCloud storage would be a nice gesture.

I don't use any iCloud storage, except what automatically gets saved. What I would prefer for cloud storage, is for it to be file format agnostic, like a USB flash drive is. I have very few documents that are compatible with iCloud. I just need generic space. I used iDisk all the time before it was EOLed.

I have a lot of storage on my Google Business account and it works really well, especially being able to share folders and files with the other offices.

• Reply 25 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

When one wipes a device, what else happens besides the device being restored to factory state? Isn't one able to later restore the contents of the device from iCloud? If so, Apple must still have a record of that device under your iCloud account. 

The unique identifier for your device (say its serial number) should remain associated with your account until you or Apple unlink it. Apple could arrange things so that the identifier is only able be linked to one Apple ID at a time. When you sell your device, you would need to unregister that device and give up the extra storage space (or Apple could automatically start billing you for the extra space) before the next person can register the device under his Apple ID and obtain the storage allowance. If you return your device to Apple for a refund, Apple could disassociate the device from your Apple ID and give you the choice of paying to continue using the extra storage. So in your example, you wouldn't be able to keep 12x the online storage unless you continued to pay for it.

• Reply 26 of 31
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    When one wipes a device, what else happens besides the device being restored to factory state? Isn't one able to later restore the contents of the device from iCloud? If so, Apple must still have a record of that device under your iCloud account. 

The unique identifier for your device (say its serial number) should remain associated with your account until you or Apple unlink it. Apple could arrange things so that the identifier is only able be linked to one Apple ID at a time. When you sell your device, you would need to unregister that device and give up the extra storage space (or Apple could automatically start billing you for the extra space) before the next person can register the device under his Apple ID and obtain the storage allowance. If you return your device to Apple for a refund, Apple could disassociate the device from your Apple ID and give you the choice of paying to continue using the extra storage. So in your example, you wouldn't be able to keep 12x the online storage unless you continued to pay for it.

Now, as of iOS7, when you enable Find My iPhone you lock the device to a unique serial number that prevents it from ever being activated unless that is unlinked/unlocked as you describe. That is the only method I can see for giving additional capacity to each new iDevice sold, but that's not even 5(?) months old.

Perhaps with the next iOS 8 update we'll see something like that but I'd still like them to just give everyone more data across the boar; It's not like we still have an iDisk to abuse.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Quote:

Now, as of iOS7, when you enable Find My iPhone you lock the device to a unique serial number that prevents it from ever being activated unless that is unlinked/unlocked as you describe. That is the only method I can see for giving additional capacity to each new iDevice sold, but that's not even 5(?) months old.

Perhaps with the next iOS 8 update we'll see something like that but I'd still like them to just give everyone more data across the boar; It's not like we still have an iDisk to abuse.

Why would the capability to link a device to iCloud require an OS update? It seems that the implementation should be almost entirely server-side. The serial number of your device would serve as an activation code, similar to a credit card number, which you give Apple to obtain storage space on iCloud. Apple would just need to ensure that each serial number can be paired with no more than one Apple ID at a time.

• Reply 28 of 31
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Why would the capability to link a device to iCloud require a major OS update?

Prior to iOS 7 you updated the device by downloading and installing the proper IPSW. There was no check with server to see if the device was locked to a particular iCloud account. I don't see how this could be retroactively added to all devices running and earlier version of iOS.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:

Prior to iOS 7 you updated the device by downloading and installing the proper IPSW. There was no check with server to see if the device was locked to a particular iCloud account. I don't see how this could be retroactively added to all devices running and earlier version of iOS.

I don't really understand why we are discussing the mechanism for OS updates.  Isn't the payment processing and storage provisioning handled entirely server side? Right now when you buy extra iCloud storage from Apple, does your device need a software update to access the extra storage? I was merely proposing a system where you pay for the storage by buying a device and providing Apple the device's serial number instead of your credit card number. What am I missing?

• Reply 30 of 31
    I don't really understand why we are discussing the mechanism for OS updates.  Isn't the payment processing and storage provisioning handled entirely server side? Right now when you buy extra iCloud storage from Apple, does your device need a software update to access the extra storage? I was merely proposing a system where you "pay" for the storage by providing your device's serial number instead of your credit card number. What am I missing?

So you register the device and it gives you iCloud data. Now you wipe the device. What happens to the data allowance they have you?
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:

So you register the device and it gives you iCloud data. Now you wipe the device. What happens to the data allowance they have you?

Nothing until you unregister the device.