Apple releases OS X 10.9.2 with fix for SSL security flaw, plus new FaceTime Audio

Comments

• Reply 61 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DustinLH00 View Post

What problems are you having? Just wondering if they are the same as mine.

I'd like to know also. I've not had any Gmail issues with Apple's Mail.

• Reply 62 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'd like to know also. I've not had any Gmail issues with Apple's Mail.

Did you see my prior post? I cannot get an unread count on my Gmail and Google Apps inboxes and therefore cannot get an unread count on the dock icon. This has been an ongoing issue for me since upgrading to Mavericks. In addition to this, if I read emails on Gmail they either take forever or never get marked as read in Mail. I don't know if this update fixed that, but it most certainly did not fix my unread count issues.

• Reply 63 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How do you do that? I find that to be the worst features with the new MBP design putting the power button next to the volume up and delete buttons.

I only had it a couple of times when Mavericks first came out.  It was habit for me to push the power button (17" 2011 MacBook Pro) to bring up the options box and turn if off.  Took a little bit of time to get rid of that habit.  I just think it was dumb to even introduce it.  

• Reply 64 of 196
    Originally Posted by Emes View Post

I remember the old days when Apple ads used to claim their OS was infallible.

Shut up and go away.

It’s laughable how pathetic you are.

• Reply 65 of 196
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dustinlh00 wrote: »
    Did you see my prior post? I cannot get an unread count on my Gmail and Google Apps inboxes and therefore cannot get an unread count on the dock icon. This has been an ongoing issue for me since upgrading to Mavericks. In addition to this, if I read emails on Gmail they either take forever or never get marked as read in Mail. I don't know if this update fixed that, but it most certainly did not fix my unread count issues.

Have you tried forwarding your Gmail to an iCloud account that is setup in Mail? You can still have your return mail server and email address being your gmail account which makes this invisible to everyone except hose would look at the raw headers of a conversation.
  • Reply 66 of 196
    Quote:

Have you tried forwarding your Gmail to an iCloud account that is setup in Mail? You can still have your return mail server and email address being your gmail account which makes this invisible to everyone except hose would look at the raw headers of a conversation.

No, I have not tried that. I appreciate the suggestion for the workaround, but I really think this issue needs to be fixed by Apple. It worked fine in 10.8 and was broken in 10.9. I have other apps and the web interface to get my by, but I really had my hopes up that this would finally get fixed.

• Reply 67 of 196
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    This update put a spring in my step and resolved an issue for me where, if I gambled, I would lose large amounts of money.

Highly recommended.
  • Reply 68 of 196
    emesemes Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Can you post link to at least one of those ads?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5z0Ia5jDt4 @2:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Shut up and go away.

It’s laughable how pathetic you are.

Go ahead, laugh. I really could not care less what you think of me or my opinions.

• Reply 69 of 196
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

Usually I leave a few days before updating my work machine. Because Apple's bundled the security fix, I don't have that option.

Here's hoping that 10.9.2 is rock solid...

• Reply 70 of 196
    Quote:

3) You have no idea who or what could have or will have access to any account that used their SSL. Do you think people that had their CC card stolen in that Target breach should wait until their card is illegally used before getting a new card? And that actually takes more time to complete and has zero risk for the user since your accounts are insured.

Target was a specific "targeted" attack (no pun intended) by a highly organized group of people. Until someone has concrete evidence that this exploit was actually used to gain access to a significant number of users credit cards or usernames/passwords I don't think there's anything to worry about. I change my passwords fairly regularly anyway, so changing a couple right now (like my bank and CC's) is all I feel I need to do.

I'm not saying this isn't a serious issue - the exploit is real. I'm just sick of people taking about what "might" have happened as if it "actually" happened. It makes for great news stories, that's about it.

The only people who will be talking about this is 6 months are the Apple haters who have another standard go-to quote to post up (filed away in the same drawer as "antennagate" or "maps gate").

• Reply 71 of 196

Completely incorrect.

Go ahead, laugh. I really could not care less what you think of me or my opinions.

Your “opinions” are lies. Go find another website to crap all over.

• Reply 72 of 196

you know what, it seems like it might be good now. i hope. ill reply back in a while.

at first i seen lots of messages that were deleted on the iPhone the past two days

still in the mac mail inbox but then after a few it synced up correctly.

But it seemed to work at first after one of the other updates too then went to shit, so let me 

take that first post back and hope it works. For now it seems to be. Thank u apple 

• Reply 73 of 196
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Does anyone know of info regarding specifics and how-to to blocking users on OSX iMessages?  I've been eagerly waiting for this update as my iOS devices block users just fine, but I was still getting them on my Mac's messages.

The "Block User" option is still greyed-out in Messages.  Anyone have ideas?

• Reply 74 of 196
    emes wrote: »

1) Since when do Windows viruses affect Macs?

2) Again, where did Apple ever state Macs were infallible.

3) Proof that your wrong is the fact that security updates for Mac OS X used to be released independently of their point updates as noted at the following links…

Target was a specific "targeted" attack (no pun intended) by a highly organized group of people. Until someone has concrete evidence that this exploit was actually used to gain access to a significant number of users credit cards or usernames/passwords I don't think there's anything to worry about. I change my passwords fairly regularly anyway, so changing a couple right now (like my bank and CC's) is all I feel I need to do.

I'm not saying this isn't a serious issue - the exploit is real. I'm just sick of people taking about what "might" have happened as if it "actually" happened. It makes for great news stories, that's about it.

The only people who will be talking about this is 6 months are the Apple haters who have another standard go-to quote to post up (filed away in the same drawer as "antennagate" or "maps gate").

The who is irrelevant, but the potential for having your data compromised is very real and to assume that if you aren't aware of your data being comprised today means that your data hasn't been comprised or will be compromised based on previous dumps that will later be analyzed in the future is not a rational position to take. The point is data was compromised and one should be proactive in trying to prevent themselves from becoming a victim in the future through the very simple measures that take as much effort to complete as writing in a forum that there is nothing to worry about if you have no information of yet being victimized.
  • Reply 75 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Your “opinions” are lies.

Wow. My opinions are lies?

"~~o·pin·ion /?'p?nj?n/ ? noun 1.a personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty •"

If my opinions were true they'd be facts

• Reply 76 of 196
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Still waiting for a report of one instance of this vulnerability having been exploited.

Anyone…? Anyone…?  {sincere}

• Reply 77 of 196
    sflocal wrote: »
    Does anyone know of info regarding specifics and how-to to blocking users on OSX iMessages?  I've been eagerly waiting for this update as my iOS devices block users just fine, but I was still getting them on my Mac's messages.

The "Block User" option is still greyed-out in Messages.  Anyone have ideas?

This block user option is greyed out?

• Reply 78 of 196
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Also, just so you know, Update / patch is available for 10.6 (maybe others as well?)

• Reply 79 of 196

Quote:

1) Since when do Windows viruses affect Macs?

I never said that. One of the biggest themes in those ads was the fact that "PCs crash, Macs don't" or "PCs get viruses, Macs don't".

The word "infallible" was never directly used but it was implied

And I'm not trying to start and argument here, I'm just pointing out that Macs are not perfect. Nothing is

• Reply 80 of 196
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

To update or not to update..in the middle of work day...that is the question.

Took about 5 minutes over the university wifi: 400-ish MB. Restart was needed, took longer than the download.