Soundgarden joins US debut of Apple's iTunes Festival at SXSW

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2014
Apple's first-ever iTunes Festival in the U.S., at this year's SXSW festival in Austin, Tex., will feature legendary grunge rockers Soundgarden, it was announced on Wednesday.

Soundgarden

Soundgarden will take to the stage and perform its album "Superunknown" in its entirety, celebrating the record's 20th year, Jim Dalrymple of The Loop was first to note. The set will feature the band's entire original lineup: Chris Cornell, Matt Cameron, Kim Thayil and Ben Shepherd.

Hits from the 1994 album include "Black Hole Sun," "Spoonman," and "Fell on Black Days."

Apple announced a week ago that it would bring the iTunes Festival to SXSW 2014, running from March 11 through 15. Previously confirmed performers are Coldplay, Imagine Dragons, Pitbull, Keith Urban, and ZEDD.

As with past iTunes Festivals held internationally, all of the U.S.-based performances will stream live to Macs, iOS devices, and the Apple TV. The shows will take place at ACL Live at the Moody Theater, host of Austin City Limits.

To date, the iTunes Festival has been limited to London, and over 400 artists have performed in front of more than 430,000 fans. Apple says tens of millions of users have watched the performances from the festival online.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member

First….SOUNDGARDEN RULES!

• Reply 2 of 12
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Nice!!!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Man I was a huge Soundgarden fan! Their music was more innovative and inventive than their other Grunge band peers of the era - even though I liked the others too, Nirvana and Pearl Jam in particular, but then so did everybody who was into that scene...ahhh to be in your 20s!
  • Reply 4 of 12
    That would be a good show.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Glad to see Apple associating themselves with a great band like Soundgarden (instead of a giant tool like Bono).  Soundgarden is the real deal.

• Reply 6 of 12
    Love Soundgarden. Always represented us in the PNW well.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Apple had better cover and stream the comeback of Spandau Ballet! How does Soundgarden rate above SB in anyone's imagination?!

Feh!

http://www.spandauballet.com/news/press-release-soul-boys-of-the-western-world-movie-to-premiere-at-sxsw/
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Oh this is pretty cool, I used to listen to their music quite a bit. Glad they're still around at least. I'll have to mark my calendar and try to catch them!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The set will feature the band's entire original lineup: Chris Cornell, Matt Cameron, Kim Thayil and Ben Shepherd.

Ben Shepherd did not join Soundgarden until 6 years after they were formed.

Chris, Matt & Kim are the "original" line-up.

• Reply 10 of 12
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Ben Shepherd did not join Soundgarden until 6 years after they were formed.

Chris, Matt & Kim are the "original" line-up.

Original lineup for Superunknown then :)  Also technically Hiro Yamamoto, Chris Cornell and Kim Thayil are the original lineup.  Matt didn't come along until 1986.  Cornell was the original drummer and there was another drummer before Cameron came along.  If you're going to be pedantic, at least be right.

• Reply 11 of 12
    Awesome! Love Soundgarden (and Pearl Jam and Nirvana of course as well). Definitely going to check that out on my ATV. Nice work, Apple, nice work.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Soundgarden

Batboy in a rare cameo…