Apple's dynamic user interface would adapt to user's proximity, allowing control from close & far

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    melgross wrote: »
    Unless Google has been doing a vast amount if R&D that they don't patent. Which they don't, up until they gegan massing patents from companies and patents they bought, they only had about 300 patents. That was far less than any other major competitor. And everybody patents. Everybody.

I've read that Google does a lot of R&D, but if you look at those numbers very closely, you will see that it's not mainly R&D, but software development costs. That's very different.

Like Steve said, innovation is not just a question of signing a check, that would be too simple.

I think Apple is right in considering that, as a system integrator, they have to leave to their suppliers most of the burden of the associated technological research , which is very risky and costly. This is what all system integrators (Boeing, Airbus...) do.

The only interrogation I have is that given its size, there is a problem for Apple to remain "focused" on a very limited number of product lines.

Although they already successfully entered new business, what one would expect from a company like Apple is to enter totally new businesses. The fastest way to do this would be to buy a large company, but here again we have a contradiction with the values which made the Apple success possible, because although small companies can be absorbed easiliy, I see a lot of difficulties to transplant the Apple culture into another large company.
  • Reply 42 of 74
    But before they lost that famous lawsuit with Microsoft all those years ago, they began to patent more of what they did. Getting ripped off will test anyone.

True. Wonder why Google is also filing for patents then¡
  • Reply 43 of 74
    Yeah. I'm getting a little tired of Apple as of late. While they seem to do a lot of interesting research, they also seem to rarely do much with it. They appear to be to afraid to actually take a chance. And for those who think that's Cook's problem, it's not. SJ wasn't any better.

I'd like to see a product (or several) from them that incorporates a number of these inventions, even if they're not entirely ready for prime time. Apple could state that they are "hobbies", or experimental' or whatever. Just DO something! I understand Apple's penchant for only releasing products that they think are perfected (though often we find they are not). But Google has no problem with releasing things that aren't, and doing well with them.

Apple has lost the belief that they are innovating. Whether true or not, it's one reason the stock is where it is. So it takes them years to come out with a watch. Maybe it will be great, and maybe it will bomb. But meanwhile, give us SOMETHING! There's no reason it took so many years before we got API's for handheld controllers, for example. Why weren't they out in 2008? Think of how things could have been different.

We're talking about saphirre screens and Liquidmetal on Seeking Alpha. I'm wary of either. While both sound nice, the costs will be significant, and what real benefit will there be? Yes, saphirre is less scratchable. But Gorilla Glass is already pretty hard to scratch. Less breakable? Yes, but better design would go a long way there too. As it is, the 5, 5S and 5C are all much better than the 4 and 4S in that regard. Liquidmetal? What real benefit will that give us, other than bragging rights?

I'd rather see some of these innovative UI inventions come out, even if Apple makes them optional. And how about finally doing something with Siri? What have they don't with it these past few years? Hardly anything!

Patience is a virtue; any fisherman will tell you that.
  • Reply 44 of 74
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    While reading this, did anyone else hear "Money For Nothing" (Dire Straits) playing in their head?

"and your chicks for free"
  • Reply 45 of 74
    hydrogen wrote: »

Be Zen. Empty your mind. Do not pay attention to noise. Have faith in the prophets (OK, they do not say much, but ...).

(may be what Apple needs are prophets, after all)

I apparently prophesied the iPad Air, but chose to keep schtum.
  • Reply 46 of 74
    I apparently prophesied the iPad Air, but chose to keep schtum.

Apple once had evangelists, so why not prophets ....
  • Reply 47 of 74
    That's totally incorrect. SIRi was beta for two YEARS! Apple stated that. They say aTv is a hobby. They've stated that as well. They've had other beta software over the years.

People who think Apple isn't market oriented are fooling themselves. Of course they are. Every company is. They have to be. Apple responds to the market. If they do come up with a bigger phone this year, that will be entirely in response to market movement. Please don't think that they came up with it all by themselves.

Since when was Siri hardware? Apple has never sold beta hardware. It has released beta software.
  • Reply 48 of 74
    Got to love these filings. R&D for Google and Scamsung for free.

Yeah. I'm getting a little tired of Apple as of late. While they seem to do a lot of interesting research, they also seem to rarely do much with it. They appear to be to afraid to actually take a chance. And for those who think that's Cook's problem, it's not. SJ wasn't any better.

I'd like to see a product (or several) from them that incorporates a number of these inventions, even if they're not entirely ready for prime time. Apple could state that they are "hobbies", or experimental' or whatever. Just DO something! I understand Apple's penchant for only releasing products that they think are perfected (though often we find they are not). But Google has no problem with releasing things that aren't, and doing well with them.

Apple has lost the belief that they are innovating. Whether true or not, it's one reason the stock is where it is. So it takes them years to come out with a watch. Maybe it will be great, and maybe it will bomb. But meanwhile, give us SOMETHING! There's no reason it took so many years before we got API's for handheld controllers, for example. Why weren't they out in 2008? Think of how things could have been different.

We're talking about saphirre screens and Liquidmetal on Seeking Alpha. I'm wary of either. While both sound nice, the costs will be significant, and what real benefit will there be? Yes, saphirre is less scratchable. But Gorilla Glass is already pretty hard to scratch. Less breakable? Yes, but better design would go a long way there too. As it is, the 5, 5S and 5C are all much better than the 4 and 4S in that regard. Liquidmetal? What real benefit will that give us, other than bragging rights?

I'd rather see some of these innovative UI inventions come out, even if Apple makes them optional. And how about finally doing something with Siri? What have they don't with it these past few years? Hardly anything!

I totally agree!

This:
    There is a tide in the affairs of men, Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune. Omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries. On such a full sea are we now afloat. And we must take the current when it serves, or lose our ventures.

And this:
    A good plan executed right now is far better than a perfect plan executed next week.
    - George S. Patton -
  • Reply 49 of 74
    SOT

If this is real ...

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 51 of 74
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    That's totally incorrect. SIRi was beta for two YEARS! Apple stated that. They say aTv is a hobby. They've stated that as well. They've had other beta software over the years.

People who think Apple isn't market oriented are fooling themselves. Of course they are. Every company is. They have to be. Apple responds to the market. If they do come up with a bigger phone this year, that will be entirely in response to market movement. Please don't think that they came up with it all by themselves.
    I'm always amazed that some people... especially someone with your background and knowledge of Apple... would ever suggest the idea that Apple would follow it's competitors for the sake of the market.

Also, to suggest that Apple hasn't already tried and has working prototypes of every screen size and technology available for iPhones, and even some that are custom made in the labs, is simply not being able to fathom the size of Apple and it's reseach labs.

I shouldn't have to repeat to anyone the story, as related by SJ, that it was an iPad like device that was pulled down from a shelf and then married to touch tech and a micro OSX that other engineers were working on, that gave birth to the iPhone.

Just that little insight should shed light on the fact that there are a ton (literally I'm sure!) of prototype devices, skunk works tech projects and advanced OS engineering efforts... just waiting to find their perfect fit at Apple.

Then comes the logistics of sourcing all of the materials, machines, and labor sources to produce millions of the new product within months of a launch. It is this stage where I'm sure that many Apple projects get delayed, not because Apple doesn't have any ideas... and surely not because they are 'casing' the market to see how well other similar products are doing.

Do it right... or wait for the day that you can. Even though Apple called the Apple TV a hobby at one time, I'm sure they always envisioned what they wanted it to be and do some day. Airplay didn't just pop into someones head one day for example.
  • Reply 52 of 74
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,439moderator
    SOT

If this is real ...

That guy is awesome. He has worked for Apple in the past and done streaming games (OnLive), MOVA for 3D photoreal body capture (used on Benjamin Button - "some actors (he won't say who) are even asking him to digitize their faces while they're young so they can potentially keep appearing that way in movies through computer generated images") and now wireless tech and there's a mention of retinal tech for virtual reality with touch using standing fields. Some of the techniques they come up with are amazing. For the facial capture for example, they tried to find ways to track the movement accurately and found that uniform trackers like the dots other people used didn't work well so they powdered the actors' faces and discovered that the random pattern from the powder is easier for the camera to detect because the randomness is unique.

They weren't allowed to use the cellular wireless spectrum to do the pcell tests with so they went out and got ham radio licenses instead and used that network:

http://www.wired.com/business/2011/06/perlman-holy-grail-wireless/

- Its “unlimited bandwidth” will eliminate dead zones and dropped calls, even in an urban jungle like New York City.
    - The signals will pass through solid objects that block cellular signals at the same frequency and power.
    - It doesn’t need tall cell towers — just modest base stations the size of an internet router.
    - Those access points will broadcast a signal over a mile, while outdoor antennas can reach 30 miles or more in every direction — beyond the curvature of the earth, brags Perlman. Theoretically, that number will rise to 250 miles once Rearden’s engineers have time to test the tech at a longer range.

Naturally, this didn’t happen overnight — DIDO has been in the works for about 10 years.
    Shannon’s Law, as it became known, states that the maximum rate at which error-free data can be transmitted is a function of the bandwidth and the signal-to-noise ratio. No communications system has surpassed Shannon’s theoretical speed limit — until now, asserts Perlman.

“Everyone we called — you know, like professors and Ph.D students — were like, ‘You’re crazy, this’ll never work, we all know that wireless doesn’t work that way.’” says Perlman. “We had another person to whom I said, ‘Look, everyone’s been telling me this can’t possibly work. I just need to know why.’”

Tired of rejection without explanation, Perlman hired the researcher to disprove DIDO. He couldn’t. In fact, he discovered that not only had Perlman and his team at Rearden done something that nobody else had thought of, but it worked remarkably well. “That was really the first time I got official confirmation that we were not rabidly insane,” laughed Perlman.

Some still doubt that Shannon’s theorem can be violated, given that it has been proved mathematically. “I think there is essentially no chance that there is a mistake there given that it is such a well-studied theorem,” says Kyle Cranmer, assistant professor of physics at New York University. “However, the assumptions that the theorem is based on may be violated, in which case it’s not applicable, not that it’s wrong.”"

His company is named after a character from Atlas Shrugged, Hank Rearden:

"d'Anconia asks Rearden what sort of advice he would give Atlas upon seeing that "the greater [the titan's] effort, the heavier the world bore down on his shoulders". With Rearden unable to answer, d'Anconia gives his own response: "To shrug"."

http://www.businessinsider.com/steve-perlman-rearden-2011-7

"Steve Perlman was one of the co-founders of WebTV, which Microsoft bought for close to half a billion dollars.
    Since then, he's been building crazy, amazing invention after crazy, amazing invention out of his incubator in Silicon Valley.

Perlman thinks of himself as an inventor in the mold of Thomas Edison and complains that Silicon Valley entrepreneurs aren't ambitious enough and are chasing dinky social media startups instead of trying to solve really hard problems.

- Perlman got into programming and electronics because his parents wouldn't buy him an Apple II--so he built his own computer"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Perlman

"1976-1983 Building his first computer from a kit during high school in 1976, Perlman proceeded to design and build several computers, graphics/video systems, modems, displays, audio systems, interface devices and video games, as well as all kinds of software, both for fun and for clients. Perlman graduated from Columbia University in 1983.

1983-1984 Perlman designed a parallel-processing graphics system at Atari. At Coleco, Perlman developed a massively-parallel 3D animation chip and a software-based high-speed modem.

In 1985 Perlman joined Apple Computer on the development team of some Macintosh multimedia technology including Road pizza, the video codec used by the first version of QuickTime 1.[2][3]

In 1990 Perlman left Apple to join General Magic, where he designed its second-generation technology.[2]

In 1994 Perlman co-founded Catapult Entertainment and was its Chief technical officer. Catapult developed the proprietary XBAND modems for the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo Entertainment System video game consoles that enabled online features for multiplayer games.[2][4]

In 1995 Perlman created, co-founded, and was the President & CEO of WebTV Networks, Inc. WebTV was introduced in 1996, and was one the earliest products to connect the Internet to a television. Less than 2 years after it was founded, WebTV was acquired by Microsoft Corporation for US$425 million,[5] and renamed as MSN TV.[2][6] Microsoft’s acquisition of WebTV also brought with it the teams that created Microsoft’s TV platforms,[2] including the hardware for Microsoft's Xbox 360.[7]

After a few years at Microsoft, Perlman left WebTV Networks in 1999 to found Rearden Steel, now Rearden, a business incubator for new companies in media and entertainment technology.[2]

In 2000 Rearden founded Moxi Digital, Inc., which produced a combination digital video recorder, DVD player, digital music jukebox, and television set-top box. Moxi merged[8] with Microsoft founder Paul Allen's Digeo in 2002.

In 2004 Rearden founded MOVA,[9] which was spun off from Rearden in 2007 as an OnLive subsidiary. MOVA offers motion-capture services in the San Francisco Bay Area, with Perlman as its president.[9] In 2006 Perlman unveiled Mova's Contour, a digital multi-camera system that captures and tracks detailed surface data and textures for post-production manipulation. It was used for 3D volumetric shape capture of Brad Pitt’s face in the film The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,[10] which received the 2008 Academy Award for Achievement in Visual Effects[11] for the photorealism achieved in computer-generated reverse-aging of Brad Pitt’s face.

In 2007 Rearden spun-out OnLive, which in 2009 announced the OnLive on-demand video game service and MicroConsole TV adapter, with Perlman as its president and CEO.[12] The company launched the OnLive game service in June, 2010 in the US and September 22, 2011 in the UK and was initially offered on the PC, Macintosh and TV via OnLive's MicroConsole, and then later on the iPad, iPhone and Android Tablets and smartphones.[13][14]

In 2011 Perlman announced that he and colleagues at Rearden have invented Distributed-Input-Distributed-Output (DIDO) technology, an experimental wireless communications system they claim will render cellular connections obsolete.[15][16][17]

By December 2011, OnLive's catalog had grown to over 30 games,[18] with about 3 games supporting touchscreen control.[13]

In August 2012, OnLive filed for bankruptcy and was sold to one of its investors and Perlman left the company.[19][20]

In early 2014, Perlman launched DIDO commercially as Artemis pCell, promising much higher speeds than existing 4G mobile networks are capable of. There is also evidence suggesting that pCell could also be used for not just communication, but wireless power transfer."

Although OnLive went bankrupt, Gaikai used similar tech and Sony bought them out for $380m and will use it to stream older Playstation games to devices. This tech can stream entire operating systems in real-time. You can for example be sitting on a beach in Hawaii with an iPad and editing 4K master footage that sits 1000 miles away - the software doesn't need to be on the iPad nor does the footage, it just needs the UI transmitted.

It's probably best that he's out working on his own thing but think of all the things he could do with Apple's resources. The Apple TV could use the streaming tech for apps. pcell tech could launch in iOS devices and Apple could distribute the cells. The retina tech would be the ultimate advance though and much better than a dynamic user interface. No more displays (IPS/OLED etc), full 16 bpc color, fully touch-enabled, if it can use body heat for power, it can receive signals from a pocket device wirelessly or a local pcell device.

This is the ultimate human-computer interface. Using the Hawaii example, if you had contact lenses that ran from body heat and had a pcell near the beach, the contact lenses could connect to it and live stream an OS from 1000 miles away. This can superimpose a UI into your field of view but it can do it while you had sunglasses on (glasses wouldn't be required though like current inferior tech). It can use a 3D gesture device sitting beside you and you can control any software you want with no computer in sight. You wouldn't be allowed to drive with them but we'll have driverless cars by then anyway.
  • Reply 53 of 74
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Marvin wrote: »
    SOT

If this is real ...

That guy is awesome ...

Yeah, it seems too good to be true -- and Perlman appears to be quite a pitchman!

I've been trying to figure out [understand] what's being transmitted & how it works.

I did a lot of surfing but haven't found a detail explanation of the tech.

The best I can determine is:
    • the user's device [pCell] location is determined by trilaterating signals from in-range pCell transceivers
    • the central servers divide a signal to be sent to a user's device [pCell] by separating the full-strength * signal into lower-power sub-signals
    • the sub-signals are sent simultaneously through multiple pCell transceivers
    • the low-power sub-signals converge only at the user's device [pCell], where they are combined into a full-strength signal
    • other nearby pCell devices would have a different location and would ignore the low-power sub-signals as noise

* I use strength to indicate that they are partial (degraded, out of phase...?) signals -- IDK if that is the tech, but you get the idea
  • Reply 54 of 74
    Yeah, it seems too good to be true -- and Perlman appears to be quite a pitchman!

I've been trying to figure out [understand] what's being transmitted & how it works.

• the user's device [pCell] location is determined by trilaterating signals from in-range pCell transceivers
    • the central servers divide a signal to be sent to a user's device [pCell] by separating the full-strength * signal into lower-power sub-signals
    • the low-power sub-signals converge only at the user's device [pCell], where they are combined into a full-strength signal
    • other nearby pCell devices would have a different location and would ignore the low-power sub-signals as noise

* I use strength to indicate that they are partial (degraded, out of phase...?) signals -- IDK if that is the tech, but you get the idea

That sounds like what they're doing. There's a page here with some details:

http://akbars.net/how-steve-perlmans-revolutionary-wireless-technology-works-and-why-its-a-bigger-deal-than-anyone-realizes.html

They are trying to give each user the full bandwidth of available channels by sending unique signals instead of signals that conflict and create dead zones. Modern modems try to use multiple antennas but that's still going to be limited, still having bandwidth variation and uses more power. The pcell setup is doing the splitting in software using a data center in real-time. They say it scales linearly with the number of users.

There's a video here that doesn't really explain the tech but it demonstrates the usage again and says it can potentially be the way 4K video is broadcast, before it comes to cable networks. They used a Macbook Pro to show the 4K video as it's one of the few laptops that can handle 4K video:

[VIDEO]

As for the extra benefits mentioned, the above site talked about wireless power. Perlman said there was a hint in the video he showed at the start. The antenna systems are very low power (1milliWatt - 100x lower than normal antenna systems), maybe they can transmit power wirelessly to devices by bumping up the antenna power for that purpose:

[VIDEO]

Mobile devices max out around 2W so maybe that's possible, I didn't see an indication of that in the video though. Live streaming was shown so someone at a music gig or sports event broadcasting live from a phone to multiple people. The tech doesn't have to replace current cellular tech entirely as it might not work well in fast motion like on a train but it can ease the congestion. Even if it's used inside and near buildings, it takes the congestion out of more open areas.
  • Reply 55 of 74

That sounds like what they're doing. There's a page here with some details:

http://akbars.net/how-steve-perlmans-revolutionary-wireless-technology-works-and-why-its-a-bigger-deal-than-anyone-realizes.html

They are trying to give each user the full bandwidth of available channels by sending unique signals instead of signals that conflict and create dead zones. Modern modems try to use multiple antennas but that's still going to be limited, still having bandwidth variation and uses more power. The pcell setup is doing the splitting in software using a data center in real-time. They say it scales linearly with the number of users.

There's a video here that doesn't really explain the tech but it demonstrates the usage again and says it can potentially be the way 4K video is broadcast, before it comes to cable networks. They used a Macbook Pro to show the 4K video as it's one of the few laptops that can handle 4K video:

As for the extra benefits mentioned, the above site talked about wireless power. Perlman said there was a hint in the video he showed at the start. The antenna systems are very low power (1milliWatt - 100x lower than normal antenna systems), maybe they can transmit power wirelessly to devices by bumping up the antenna power for that purpose:

Mobile devices max out around 2W so maybe that's possible, I didn't see an indication of that in the video though. Live streaming was shown so someone at a music gig or sports event broadcasting live from a phone to multiple people. The tech doesn't have to replace current cellular tech entirely as it might not work well in fast motion like on a train but it can ease the congestion. Even if it's used inside and near buildings, it takes the congestion out of more open areas.

I'd seen the first video, but not the second -- thanks for the link.

Oddly, in trying to understand the tech, I focused on wave form -- particularly EMR. Don't much understand it -- my mind goes blank when I see a Σ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation

It is also interesting that the demo at Columbia used standard LTE iPhones -- later videos replaced [relinked] some existing videos to other videos with a custom radio attached to the back of the device.

Now, I'm really confused ... the relinked videos Standard LTE ---> Custom Radio have been unlinked back to Standard LTE -- what a difference a day makes ... makes me feel uncomfortable (skeptical). I can't show any links, because they're gone ...

Here's another video:

[VIDEO]http://www.bloomberg.com/video/sculley-pcell-changes-rules-for-mobile-wireless-t1i3VbxKR8OhFkGOOThRsw.html[/VIDEO]

So, what I'm taking away from all this is:
    • pCell LTE cell networks have potentially greater capacity/bandwidth than cable networks deliver to the home -- they solve/bypass the "last mile" problem
    • they can/will replace cable
    • non-LTE pCell devices can work on the same pCell and reduce the cost of the mobile device (no cell radio hardware and licensing fees)
    • by using EMR, battery usage/power becomes a non-issue -- when you use your mobile device, it is being recharged

Oh, BTW ... from the first video, Perlman said that the pCell transceivers could be submerged -- I wonder what the opportunity is there ...

P.P.S. I wish that someone would write an AI article on this pCell tech -- it would be great to take advantage of all the knowledge, talent and skepticism on the AI forums.
  • Reply 56 of 74
    Now, I'm really confused ... the relinked videos Standard LTE ---> Custom Radio have been unlinked back to Standard LTE -- what a difference a day makes ... makes me feel uncomfortable (skeptical). I can't show any links, because they're gone ...

They managed to get the technology to work with existing devices with LTE antennas. Some of the laptops they showed have radios. The demo where they overlap the phones is to show that if it was using standard LTE, they would interfere and break up the video like this:

[VIDEO]

That's interesting, he said he's under NDA with the wireless carriers and the tech could roll out Q4 2014. The carriers don't have much choice as he said because if they wouldn't let them use the licensed spectrum, they use the unlicensed spectrum. The question is though, how do they monetize this? This pretty much puts an end to data charges, texting charges, it's unlimited broadband for mobile like in the home. Do all the carriers share pcells and data centers or deploy their own? There won't be such a thing as an antenna tied to one carrier like CDMA/GSM so it's going to eventually become a case where the lowest price wins because they'll all offer the same service. This may be where we start to see carriers trying to control access to exclusive online content to win contracts.
    pCell LTE cell networks have potentially greater capacity/bandwidth than cable networks deliver to the home -- they solve/bypass the "last mile" problem

I doubt they have greater bandwidth than a direct wire but not everyone gets the same quality. This should at least ensure everyone gets very good bandwidth. 4K video can work over 20Mbps but if it was 20-50 sustained, that would be fine. A wire can be 1 gigabit.
    they can/will replace cable

There still has to be a backhaul system somewhere but it could easily replace the idea of having a cable fed into your home.
    non-LTE pCell devices can work on the same pCell and reduce the cost of the mobile device (no cell radio hardware and licensing fees)

Can it work off the wifi antenna? I figured that's why they were using the LTE antennas and separate radios for wifi-only devices.
    by using EMR, battery usage/power becomes a non-issue -- when you use your mobile device, it is being recharged

Most wireless communication uses EMR, they just don't use it for power. That's what a lot of sensationalist media goes on about with wireless tech and power lines:

They think that EMR is inducing electrical currents into the brain. Check this site out:

http://bioenergy.timleitch.net.nz/emf_articles/emf_affects_your_brain.htm

The scrolling banner at the top gives a warning that the PC you're using is causing harm and you need protection! They don't have any tinfoil hats in the products section though, just pendants.
    Oh, BTW ... from the first video, Perlman said that the pCell transceivers could be submerged -- I wonder what the opportunity is there ...

Divers need access to porn too. If they put the antennas on the bottom of a boat, they might be able to live stream underwater activity - they said the signals don't get the same interference problems with walls so maybe it's true with water too. Swimmers could get audio streamed to their waterproof Sony headphones. Some other potential uses in general:

- live music streaming everywhere (no more classic iPod)
    - real-time traffic data everywhere
    - home temperature control monitoring (city-wide)
    - uses in construction for material durability
    - uses in medicine for applying to different radiation types e.g isolated XRay of a small part of the body

One thing I saw in the video is when they said 'closing a deal on Wall Street', the stock chosen was IBM. IBM has been experimenting with graphene for enhancing wireless communication:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57618058-76/ibms-graphene-based-circuitry-could-boost-wireless-communications/

The other stocks were AAPL going up and Zynga going down, which links up with his statement about tech companies investing in worthless social media startups instead of solving important issues.

The reason for experimenting with graphene is it can go to frequencies like 500GHz. Imagine having a processor that fast. They just need to figure out how to make it cheaply and use a band gap for digital signal processing and Intel would be very worried indeed. They wouldn't even need to sell them to the public though as they could operate them server-side. Ubiquitous fast network + super-fast server to serve lots of people at once.

One application that I'd considered was heating. Maybe too dangerous but instead of heating up air to blast around all over the place and escaping, why not just heat the body up directly like a microwave? If they can localize a particular kind of radiation wave around an antenna locator, you can have a phone in your pocket and it can create a warm zone. It won't help much if you don't have an antenna but it would still be more efficient than heating a whole room. Naturally you don't want to get cooked so it wouldn't have to be 750W or so like a microwave, it could just be a fraction of that. Compared to a 2kW heater, it would be more efficient.
    I wish that someone would write an AI article on this pCell tech -- it would be great to take advantage of all the knowledge, talent and skepticism on the AI forums.

I doubt people would be interested until it was a shipping product or one of the big companies had signed a deal with them.
  • Reply 57 of 74
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

I am able to find a video which shows custom radios attached to the back of laptops -- other videos use LTE dongles.

They managed to get the technology to work with existing devices with LTE antennas. Some of the laptops they showed have radios. The demo where they overlap the phones is to show that if it was using standard LTE, they would interfere and break up the video like this:

[VIDEO]

That's interesting -- a standard LTE cellphone (not a pCell) transmission interferes with a standard cable STB???

That's interesting, he said he's under NDA with the wireless carriers and the tech could roll out Q4 2014. The carriers don't have much choice as he said because if they wouldn't let them use the licensed spectrum, they use the unlicensed spectrum. The question is though, how do they monetize this? This pretty much puts an end to data charges, texting charges, it's unlimited broadband for mobile like in the home. Do all the carriers share pcells and data centers or deploy their own? There won't be such a thing as an antenna tied to one carrier like CDMA/GSM so it's going to eventually become a case where the lowest price wins because they'll all offer the same service. This may be where we start to see carriers trying to control access to exclusive online content to win contracts.

The carriers (and ISPs) could setup their own pCells and data centers -- or share either or both. Monetization -- that may be a problem -- they would all be offering unlimited broadband mobile on a [not so] dumb pipe. Hopefully they would differentiate themselves by quality of service and support.

They could attempt to retain a modicum of control by controlling content, as you suggest, But, I see the bulk of content coming from the users at concerts, sports events, home videos, social content, etc. Also, there are existing studios/broadcasters/cable networks like ABC/ESPN and aggregators like NetFlix that already have access to most of the existing content -- I suspect that they would be reluctant to limit their content to a single carrier/ISP.

Then, there's the state/local/fed governments to contend with -- they will need to find a way to regulate and tax it ... sigh!

pCell LTE cell networks have potentially greater capacity/bandwidth than cable networks deliver to the home -- they solve/bypass the "last mile" problem

I doubt they have greater bandwidth than a direct wire but not everyone gets the same quality. This should at least ensure everyone gets very good bandwidth. 4K video can work over 20Mbps but if it was 20-50 sustained, that would be fine. A wire can be 1 gigabit.
    they can/will replace cable

There still has to be a backhaul system somewhere but it could easily replace the idea of having a cable fed into your home.

According to Artemis' theory of serendipitous deployment, you place pCell Transceivers where they have easy access to a backhaul system or line-of-sight access to another pCell Transceiver that does.

non-LTE pCell devices can work on the same pCell and reduce the cost of the mobile device (no cell radio hardware and licensing fees)

Can it work off the wifi antenna? I figured that's why they were using the LTE antennas and separate radios for wifi-only devices.
    by using EMR, battery usage/power becomes a non-issue -- when you use your mobile device, it is being recharged

Most wireless communication uses EMR, they just don't use it for power. That's what a lot of sensationalist media goes on about with wireless tech and power lines:

They think that EMR is inducing electrical currents into the brain. Check this site out:

http://bioenergy.timleitch.net.nz/emf_articles/emf_affects_your_brain.htm

The scrolling banner at the top gives a warning that the PC you're using is causing harm and you need protection! They don't have any tinfoil hats in the products section though, just pendants.

Divers need access to porn too. If they put the antennas on the bottom of a boat, they might be able to live stream underwater activity - they said the signals don't get the same interference problems with walls so maybe it's true with water too. Swimmers could get audio streamed to their waterproof Sony headphones. Some other potential uses in general:

- live music streaming everywhere (no more classic iPod)
    - real-time traffic data everywhere
    - home temperature control monitoring (city-wide)
    - uses in construction for material durability
    - uses in medicine for applying to different radiation types e.g isolated XRay of a small part of the body

One thing I saw in the video is when they said 'closing a deal on Wall Street', the stock chosen was IBM. IBM has been experimenting with graphene for enhancing wireless communication:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57618058-76/ibms-graphene-based-circuitry-could-boost-wireless-communications/

The other stocks were AAPL going up and Zynga going down, which links up with his statement about tech companies investing in worthless social media startups instead of solving important issues.

The reason for experimenting with graphene is it can go to frequencies like 500GHz. Imagine having a processor that fast. They just need to figure out how to make it cheaply and use a band gap for digital signal processing and Intel would be very worried indeed. They wouldn't even need to sell them to the public though as they could operate them server-side. Ubiquitous fast network + super-fast server to serve lots of people at once.

Mmm ... I think that IBM still has foundries ... If this tech takes off, it could have a serious effect [death knell] on radio designers/manufacturers/licensors. The current cell phones have radios for LTE/GSM. WiFi and Bluetooth -- these could be replaced with a single pCell radio, say, within the next 5 years.

One application that I'd considered was heating. Maybe too dangerous but instead of heating up air to blast around all over the place and escaping, why not just heat the body up directly like a microwave? If they can localize a particular kind of radiation wave around an antenna locator, you can have a phone in your pocket and it can create a warm zone. It won't help much if you don't have an antenna but it would still be more efficient than heating a whole room. Naturally you don't want to get cooked so it wouldn't have to be 750W or so like a microwave, it could just be a fraction of that. Compared to a 2kW heater, it would be more efficient.

I think heating the body would be a tough sell. However you could conntrol radiant heating in a wall or manipulate vents or plenums in existing HVAC to heat individual rooms. I suppose the closest you could get is to heat/cool an individual's clothes.

I wish that someone would write an AI article on this pCell tech -- it would be great to take advantage of all the knowledge, talent and skepticism on the AI forums.

I doubt people would be interested until it was a shipping product or one of the big companies had signed a deal with them.

True -- That will be the ultimate test!

There is [at least] one thing that continues to bother me -- the size of the pCell is 1 centimeter ... I don't know how they can transmit intersecting signals that are that precise at any distance. I've done some experimenting using iBeacons to trilaterate the location of an iDevice and accuracy is only meaningful within 0-5 feet.

I suppose, the pCell signals could include the MAC address (or some such) of the device to differentiate the signals???
  • Reply 58 of 74
    Just a bit more on this ...

the pCell (DIDO) tech apparently supports SkyWave -- bouncing signals ff the ionosphere to extend signal range:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/39032/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

http://www.rearden.com/DIDO/DIDO_White_Paper_110727.pdf
  • Reply 59 of 74
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

A short article could indeed stir up some knowledgeable people here creating a must read thread, though together here with Marvin you are already making my nights short and my reads long.
  • Reply 60 of 74
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    philboogie wrote: »
    A short article could indeed stir up some knowledgeable people here creating a must read thread, though together here with Marvin you are already making my nights short and my reads long.
    I vigorously second this motion!

All I can say at this point: WOW! @Marvin and @Dick Applebaum thanks for bringing these new ideas and tech to light for some of us that don't get out as much as you guys do :)

And again, too bad this is all stuck at the end of a "dead thread" that a lot of other knowledgable folks around here wont see unless they have subscriptions and email notifications turned on.

AI bringing something to light rather than regurgitating rumors, stirring up the trolls, or in constant DED defensive mode would be doing something noble and exciting for a change.