Mac owners report OS X 10.9.2 update breaks AirPlay functionality

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Try A hard reboot holding both buttons down Until the Apple icon Shows.

Then again, maybe your iPhone 5 is just simply busted !!!      ...ever think of that??   ... > that your iPhone is simply broken <  

It does happen you know. All electronics, are no 100% equal, 100% of the time

I actually used to work at Apple so i'm quite familiar with all of these devices and how to narrow down issues, but thanks. And yes I already know what the issue is, the battery is going to have to be replaced. But my point still remains in that Apple has gotten somewhat sloppy in terms of bugs that are slipping through the cracks. Trust me, I understand that most things have bugs so that's not my issue. My issue is that it seems quite of few of the updates as of late have been breaking sh!t, sometimes with no update to fix it. My battery was fine until iOS 7, now all of a sudden it's a "hardware problem???" But this "hardware problem" didn't exist until iOS 7. My iPhone 4 lasted the entire 2 years until I upgraded to my iPhone 5......but i'm only a hair over a year in with my iPhone 5. That's my point.

• Reply 42 of 60
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

I gotta be honest, i've been huge Apple fan for years now and i've never been afraid to update any of devices until lately. ....  I'm not a freakout artist and I definitely know that there aren't any "better" alternatives, but Apple needs to get it's sh!t together. The one thing that I could always count on with my Apple devices is that I never had to worry about an update breaking my stuff and I couldn't wait to update. Now I find myself reluctant and in some cases just not updating at all.

I'm beginning to think that's why Apple is so in your face with updates anymore.  Red flags on the App Store icons, trying to get us to update in the background, etc.  I love the new ideas coming out of Apple, and I'm on board with many of the changes, however the implementation anymore is horrid.  Photostream on Apple TV is hosed up for many users (check the Apple forums), Mavericks and iOS7 still have a lot of open issues, Server is just simply embarrassing with its issues, and yet we aren't that far off from the developers conference and discussion of iOS 8 and 10.10.  I'd be completely satisfied if they "took a year off" from their new OS each year plan and get everything working the way it should be.  Apple can we have a "Snow Mavericks" please?

• Reply 43 of 60
    One of the things that kinda irks me is that iTunes extras won't play on Apple TV. I bought a movie with some cool featurettes, but the Apple TV interface won't display or play them - only the purchased movie is available.

Ah, so I figured my MBA could conntect via AirPlay, and it would mirror the extras to the AppleTV and connected HDTV.

No dice, and it appears to be design, as there was a specific error displayed.

I don't use Netflix or Hulu or any of the others, so I can't tell if those services would display the added content.

Grinds my gears. It shouldn't work this way - I'd expect microsoft crap to be like that, but not Apple equipment.
  • Reply 44 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    emoeller wrote: »
    Not working at all on my early 2013 MBP 15". The Airplay option showed up in menu bar (as per the Settings in the monitor menu) but disappeared when I tried to use it. Reboot for both iOS and OSX don't seem to help.

Not sure why rebooting iOS would help your MBP?
  • Reply 45 of 60
    no this does not only affect airplay i'm currently running dual wired monitors and am experiencing freeze ups on a continual basis....its driving me crazy cause the only way out is to reboot. btw- running a 8 month old mac mini..... this shouldn't be happening
  • Reply 46 of 60
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    My secondary external display was unaffected after the update. And while the MBP is early 2011 the display is a positively ancient Cinema display that is probably late 90's in vintage....

Lucky me.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    For the sake of anecdotal info, I bit the bullet and updated a 2011 Macbook Air 11" which is connected via dvi to an Asus VG248XE. I have experienced no problems, and have tried to explore various conditions to be certain.

So, if you have something similar, ~could~ be ok to update. YMMV.
  • Reply 48 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

Not working at all on my early 2013 MBP 15". The Airplay option showed up in menu bar (as per the Settings in the monitor menu) but disappeared when I tried to use it. Reboot for both iOS and OSX don't seem to help.

Not sure why rebooting iOS would help your MBP?

I think he was inferring that the version of iOS running on the ?tv needed rebooting...

• Reply 49 of 60
    The only issue I had was having to reset the mirror preference to extended desktop, and to reset the display arrangement.

Otherwise, all seems to be fine. For the last couple of hours, I've been watching iTunes Visualizer (G-Force) on external display (50" TV) full screen, while continuing to work on built-in (rMBP mid-2012).
  • Reply 50 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eclipsepjm View Post

Works perfectly for me... Must be user error!

Oh, must be an ignorant comment!

(your dual 15" VGA rig isn't the benchmark that the professionals use)

• Reply 51 of 60
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

The White Room! Gosh you didn't emigrate to the US empty handed, did you? Wow. So, who's performing for you lately? Some teenage pop-till-they-stop, Kylie Minogue or a more serious artist?
  • Reply 52 of 60
    yoyo2222yoyo2222 Posts: 144member
    Works fine for me, audio and video.

Mid-2013 Air / ATV 3rd generation
  • Reply 53 of 60
    Not only does it breaks Airplay functionality, it breaks Saphire HD7950 graphic card as well. The system refused to complete the boot cycle after the update. The card is completely unusable.
  • Reply 54 of 60
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by boinkboink View Post

Not only does it breaks Airplay functionality, it breaks Saphire HD7950 graphic card as well. The system refused to complete the boot cycle after the update. The card is completely unusable.

I’d imagine that’s what you get for using nonstandard parts.

• Reply 55 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’d imagine that’s what you get for using nonstandard parts.

It is Mac certified 7950.

• Reply 56 of 60
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by boinkboink View Post

It is Mac certified 7950.

Sure, but it’s not an Apple part. It’s put out only by Sapphire.

• Reply 57 of 60
    babalubabalu Posts: 1member
    if you connect to a bluetooth speaker and you are using your library, with this update music will shut off and send you back to the sign in screen. If you are using iradio i will do the same thing. I have an mac air late 2012 with nothing and I mean nothing that is not stock never had any problems till this update.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    howiehowie Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Details matter, it’s worth waiting to get it right.

– Steve Jobs

Tim?

• Reply 59 of 60
    okmooseokmoose Posts: 1member

I keep reading that this airplay problem seems to only affect older macs.  That's not true for me.  I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro 13" and ever since I updated with 10.9.2, it will not detect my AppleTV.  However, my iPad has no problem with airplay with the same AppleTV.