Tim Cook to shareholders: iPhone 5s & 5c outpace predecessors, Apple bought 23 companies in 16 month

Comments

• Reply 61 of 94
    Originally Posted by Hiram Walker View Post

People who won't do anything for the planet if it costs them a nickle, are the reason our world is turning into a toxic sewer.

Replace ‘the planet’, ‘our world’, and ’toxic sewer’ with anything you want and you have the perfect whining statement.

Originally Posted by Eric38 View Post

doesnt the fact that they will profit the entire valuation of their company in 5-7 years effectively mean the company as a whole will be worth a big fat ZERO in 7 years. Maybe I'm reading the numbers wrong.

I don’t really see how the word ‘maybe’ even enters the conversation.

• Reply 62 of 94
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why would anyone be thrilled about Al Gore on the board? WTF does he know about business or technology?

Neither did Jobs. Because of that, products are awesome.

• Reply 63 of 94
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiram Walker View Post

People who won't do anything for the planet if it costs them a nickle, are the reason our world is turning into a toxic sewer.

It's going to cost them more than a nickel soon, coffee prices are set to rise due to crop failures which are apparently unrelated to all this bad weather that's been happening over the last few years.

Australia's all set to ship more coal as soon as we blast a hole through the barrier reef so bigger ships can get in and if those pesky national parks authorities try to stop it the mining companies are set to sue, just like what happened in the rain forests of Costa Rica.

Such is life under conservative governments who refuse to see anything beyond the next dollar or the next election.

Anyway now might be a good time to stock up on coffee.

• Reply 64 of 94
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Jobs didn't know anything about technology? WTF?
  • Reply 65 of 94
    etslee wrote: »
    Apple is seen as way too cautious and conservative now. I mean just look at Tim Cook! Google, Amazon and Facebook have all the buzz about innovation. Apple just hoards more cash.

That's something the media cooked up. People are easily fooled. Don't be. Apple is famously opaque.
  • Reply 66 of 94
    rogifan wrote: »

Of course he knew tech. But more importantly, he had consumers' taste, something Bill Gates said he admired about Jobs. Under Gates, Microsoft cranked out a lot of tech, but under Jobs, Apple cranked out a lot more profits from far fewer products.
  • Reply 67 of 94
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

I guess one dumb comment deserves another. At least it provokes another.
  • Reply 68 of 94
    orthorim wrote: »
    This is the year Tim Cook's Apple has come into his own.

And it's a good thing.

Tim Cook isn't Steve Jobs. He doesn't have a clear vision for the future 20 years from now. But he does other things that are equally spectacular, and in terms of money, probably even more profitable.

Jobs was remarkably prescient on certain things, but one can't really plan a business that far out.

Tim only needs to have a clear idea of where tech is heading 5 years from now. If Apple's engineering cycle is 2-3 years for new products, that's enough to keep from being wiped out by the next tech "disruption".
  • Reply 69 of 94
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

You mean aside from monetizing it by selling more and more iOS devices and Macs due to the value added to the Apple ecosystem and user retention? You want them to start shoving ads in your iMessage streams like Google or Facebook? GTFO. Glad you're not running Apple.

I didn't mention ads. I said Apple should monetize its reach by releasing a Paypal competing wallet app, a Whatsapp competing communicator, a Pandora competing music service, or you know, anything remotely original invented under Apple's roof since Steve's tragic demise. 

Let me phrase it another way. Apple, under Tim Cook's management, has literally bored investors and Wall Street to death! Now let me guess... iPhone 6 will have a 4" screen although consumers have been clamoring for a 5 incher?

• Reply 70 of 94
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    This is the Apple Investor forum, isn't it? I think a little frustration with the share price is pretty understandable.

2 years ago Apple stock was about $522 a share. Today? $527

2 years ago Amazon was about $160. today? $320
    2 years ago Google was $607. Today? $1,215.

Two stocks doubled in value. One stock (for clearly the best compnay) has essentially not changed. Pretty good reason for some frustration. I don't think it is too much to ask for Cook to make some attempt at least to create a little buzz to get the stock moving. We don't invest not to make any money, do we?

4 years ago, Apple was at $212, now at $527 (2.5x). It doesn't matter that this includes Steve being at the company because it went far higher when he wasn't.
    Amazon was $133, now at $362 (2.7x)
    Google was at $602, now at $1215 (2.02x)

The question is more how long do you want to wait for growth? Apple's growth has slowed recently because they hit the market limits at their price points. They don't need to rush to increase volume at the expense of profit because that's not necessarily going to grow their overall company value.
  • Reply 71 of 94
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mj web wrote: »
    I didn't mention ads. I said Apple should monetize its reach by releasing a Paypal competing wallet app, a Whatsapp competing communicator, a Pandora competing music service, or you know, anything remotely original invented under Apple's roof since Steve's tragic demise. 

Let me phrase it another way. Apple, under Tim Cook's management, has literally bored investors and Wall Street to death! Now let me guess... iPhone 6 will have a 4" screen although consumers have been clamoring for a 5 incher?

Somebody needs a pacifier. Just sell already.
  • Reply 72 of 94
    mj web wrote: »
    Sounds like the same speech Cook gave at last years annual meeting. He mentions Apple sold more iPads, iPhones, and iPads, than ever before but neglects to mention that growth in these segments has been on a multi-year downward spiral, year-over-year, for the the past two years, after several years of exponential growth. That's why AAPL was valued over 30% higher two years ago.

Cook warned investors who don't like his style to get out of the stock and the moment he opened his trap AAPL slipped from green into red in a up market on yet another record day. Cook brags about a billion FaceTime and iMessage requests but Apple doesn't seem to have a clue how to monetize it or all the other valuable data Apple has access to but doesn't make a cent off.

The only "real" solid good news to come out o this year's meeting is the BRIC growth numbers. Cook bristled with a reply that "we do a lot of things for reasons besides profit motive," because under Cook's management Apple's trajectory has shriveled. We need new product lines and killer apps Tim, not your snarky quips!

/s
  • Reply 73 of 94
    etslee wrote: »
    Apple is seen as way too cautious and conservative now. I mean just look at Tim Cook! Google, Amazon and Facebook have all the buzz about innovation. Apple just hoards more cash.

Slurpy, please come and do a number on this trollette.
  • Reply 74 of 94
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member

When, oh when, is Apple going to come out with something new? Something revolutionary? Something that makes a complete shift in paradigm? Those days are gone...

• Reply 75 of 94
    There's something about an American using the word "bloody" that doesn't seem right. Perhaps Jony's accent is rubbing off on Cook. :D

Bloody is an interesting word because of its non-slang roots. Even now, it can retain a certain ambiguity in some contexts.
  • Reply 76 of 94
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

By and large this discussion about the board has been populated by a bunch of Apple fans who would make suitable Bleacher Bums at Wrigley Field. Theirs is a long-distance view of what's going on at home plate, and equally clueless.

• Reply 77 of 94
    Ooh Tim got angry today at one question about considering ROI on all their investments. I'm still trying to picture Tim using the word bloody with his southern accent. :D

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/tim-cook-soundly-rejects-politics-of-the-ncppr-suggests-group-sell-apples-s/?cachebuster=53112502e2d98

On the one hand, publicly held corporations are designed to make money for their investors, and officers should be held accountable for things like ROI. But then you get corporations that do really bad, horrible things (say, unsafe or dangerous products, destroying the environment, etc) to save a buck and the public complains how bad these companies behave.

Investors can't be expected to have a conscience since their interest in the company is financial return, so it will have to be the officers of the company that hold the line on ethics and corporate citizenship. And Tim Cook does a fine job of that.
  • Reply 78 of 94
    ruel24 wrote: »
    When, oh when, is Apple going to come out with something new? Something revolutionary? Something that makes a complete shift in paradigm? Those days are gone...

So...time to go switch to... Microsoft? Yeah that'll solve your problems.
  • Reply 79 of 94
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Shut up and go away.

• Reply 80 of 94
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    ruel24 wrote: »

Getting tired of waiting for Samsung, Microsoft, Google etc to do something on their own eh? Apple's just giving them a turn to have a go at it. They're not used to it so it'll take a bit of time. Samsung has fumbled around making a watch, who knows what Google's doing, finding new ways to shove ads in your face I guess. Let's give them a chance though and not rush them, we wouldn't want them to bring something half-assed to market (again). Look what happened with Google Glass, not even 1 million units projected this year:

http://marketingland.com/bi-report-google-glass-will-sell-21-million-units-by-2018-66123

and the users are being victimized:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/27/google_glass_hate_crime/

Android watches sold 1.2 million in all of 2013:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/galaxy-gear-top-selling-smartwatch/

The Galaxy Gear is estimated at around 500k units for 3 months, not the 800k for 2 months channel stuffing Samsung reported and that's still including bundling them with phones.

Microsoft (as if they're still relevant), is doing ever so well with their Surface:

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-q2-strong-surface-revenue-hits-893-million-7000025521/

"Surface sales came in at $893 million, double from the first quarter... the company noted that cost of revenue for the Surface was $932 million, pointing to a $39 million shortfall."

C'mon Apple help these guys out, all their fans are begging that you do something cool for them to copy and then claim what you did was irrelevant and obvious. Or y'know just bleed their profitability dry and let them choke on their own incompetence, whatever.