Why Apple, Inc. is keeping the identity of many of its 23 recent acquisitions a secret

Comments

• Reply 141 of 265
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,591member
    Ok, GN sounds impressive. But given the iOS world I inhabit, I have little interest.

It's available for iOS. There's even a "Get It Now" button for it at the link I gave earlier.
    http://www.google.com/landing/now/#
    With your obvious educational curiosity and demonstrated interest in tech I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to try it out. Google Now won't morph you into a poor and uneducated Androider, and Apple will still love you anyway. :D

Give it a couple of weeks than dump it if you have no interest in it. I guarantee it will be at least a learning experience.
  • Reply 142 of 265
    macartmacart Posts: 78member
    mstone wrote: »
    They didn't need to acquire a company for that unlike Apple who had to buy that technology.
    Ooooohhhh, Good One! Do you think the GooGoo's never used a search engine or the web before starting GooGull? They followed someone else's path from day one! Yep, they invented search! Schmuck!
  • Reply 143 of 265
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [@]macart[/@], I suggest you slow your roll and remove your personal attack.
  • Reply 144 of 265
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Marvin and moderators: I'd like to take the liberty of quoting Dan Manners. He was commenting on an article in Seeking Alpha. I appreciate that this may be against your forum policy; however, I felt that it would tickle the fancy of your readers. I generally find his comments irritating; he seems to adopt a split personality, either being wildly effusive with praise for Apple or absurdly trollish. In this case, however, he's brilliant.

I apologise if you object, and I will take note. Otherwise, here's his comment—enjoy!

i can not see how they would, it is clearly Satire!, and alot of the posts read like this satire... (you almost got me, but the "in home service mexican" was Priceless...

<div class="UserSpoiler"><div class="SpoilerTitle">Spoiler: </div><div class="SpoilerReveal"></div><div class="SpoilerText">
    Dan Manners
    Mar 1 03:39 AM
    I just received my Galaxy 5s and I love it. Sleek, stylish and so much nicer to use than the iPhone. I had an iPhone5s but it went bad when it caught fire and I through it in the toilet. The fire and water killed it but Samsung would have survived 30 minutes in the toilet.

I love my Galaxy 5s. The operating system is so nice. I also don't have to worry about upgrades being forced on me like Apple does. I now have the best ecosystem too.

My phone lasts days on a charge and so easy to read because of its size. IT was like I went from a 19 inch tube tv to a 80 inch ultra high definition set. I just love it. Samsung also called me at my home and asked me if they could answer any questions. The next day a young pretty Samsung representative showed up at my house and took me to dinner to show their appreciation. I would be lucky to get the crust from Tim Cook's sandwich.

A week went by and I noticed that I had a smudge from fingerprints on the glass of the phone. I called Samsung and they sent out to young Mexicans to clean the display right in my own home. Great service. Then the Mexicans took me out for Chipolte free of charge.

The phone has actually saved my life. I was robbed and the gunman was going to kill me but when he saw I had a Galaxy5S he decided that he just couldn't do it. He gave me a hundred bucks towards buying the watch. That watch is the greatest device know to man.

Where is Apple's big phone? Watch? TV? No where and you won't find them ever. Apple is never going to upgrade anything again. Nothing. Samsung is a world that makes sense. Apple is bizzarro world. Maybe next year! That's the mantra. Always next year. P/E Ratio? Going down. No innovation here.

If only the head of Samsung could run Apple. Then Apple would be making phones for emerging markets. Phones that everyone wanted. Nooooo. Cook only sells expensive phones. This is why Samsung is making money and Apple is losing tons of cash each quarter. The only thing Apple can afford is to buy back a small amount of shares as that is all they can afford.

Again, my new phone is great. I love the metallic look that gives Apple a run for its money. The phone has a fingerprint sensor that really works and is accessible by developers making the phone less secure. THat is so much better than a secure iPhone.

Samsung had fingerprint plans all along but Apple stole the idea and rushed it to market. Samsung does it so much better.
    Reply49Likes
    [/quote]
  • Reply 145 of 265
    solipsismx wrote: »
    [@]macart[/@], I suggest you slow your roll and remove your personal attack.
    Personal Attack? Lol! I'm sorry is schmuck hateful? Or was it my viewpoints on Goofull? Is this a GooGoo acquisition now?
  • Reply 146 of 265
    macart wrote: »
    Personal Attack? Lol! I'm sorry is schmuck hateful? Or was it my viewpoints on Goofull? Is this a GooGoo acquisition now?

1) I didn't quote you so you could edit your post without my quote showing the original comment. Oh well.

2) I think it's silly to use terms like Goofull, Crapple, Samedung, etc. as it hurts any reasonable argument you may have but I wouldn't call it a personal attack as it's bot toward a user on this forum.

3) Calling something a schmuck is a personal attack. It doesn't have to be "hateful" or severe to be an ad hominem.. Simple rule: comment on the post not the poster.
  • Reply 147 of 265
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Why don't you enlighten us, instead of throwing out jargon?

He doesn't know jack about Apple's internal development process. Unless he wants to cite a credible source.

• Reply 148 of 265
    Marvin and moderators: I'd like to take the liberty of quoting Dan Manners. Etc etc.

Wtf Wth does this article have to do with this thread!?
  • Reply 149 of 265
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

In your view, what is the correct meaning?

Look at the context of how the word 'innovate' is used in the forums, and you will conclude it literally means: whatever Google and Samsung are doing and Apple is not.

It's an extremely malleable term.

• Reply 150 of 265
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

I took the time to Google up a page that explains them both in short, concise words so that only the bare minimum of effort will be required on your part to educate yourself.

http://www.base36.com/2012/12/agile-waterfall-methodologies-a-side-by-side-comparison/

You haven't proven that one company uses one while the other uses the other.

• Reply 151 of 265
    focherfocher Posts: 688member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DogCowabunga View Post

Dude, google is totally innovative. Ok, so first they invented internet search. Then after that, free gmail, you cannot take that away from them. Youtube, definitely an innovation for google to have bought Youtube. google plus, with innovative circles for sharing and emailing your friends, another win. Plus we know they have got cameras on tricycles on college campuses to make maps even where people walk, plus driverless cars and google glasses. Even though these are not products they are even more innovative than all the other things. Don't diss the goog, dudes!

Google invented search? Don't tell that to Yahoo or Alta Vista alumni. Yes, they vastly improved it with a different set of algorithms but they sure didn't invent it. Gmail was just a competitive offering to Hotmail. Google didn't invent YouTube, they acquired it. Google+ is a straight out attempt to copy Facebook.

I don't disagree that Google is an innovative company, but with the exception of their innovations in search, your examples are pretty weak. Street View would be a better example. The others aren't actually productized.

The main point is that Apple does not "innovate" in public. They do it secretly and are much more focused about it. That seems to frustrate a lot of people, who think Apple should operate like other companies.

• Reply 152 of 265
    gatorguy wrote: »
    It's available for iOS. There's even a "Get It Now" button for it at the link I gave earlier.
    http://www.google.com/landing/now/#
    With your obvious educational curiosity and demonstrated interest in tech I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to try it out. Google Now won't morph you into a poor and uneducated Androider, and Apple will still love you anyway. :D

Give it a couple of weeks than dump it if you have no interest in it. I guarantee it will be at least a learning experience.

For me, it's better in some of its parts but since it can't integrate into the iOS system the way Siri does it's not worth my time (except for testing it out). I simply won't use a separate app to gain access for some admittedly slightly faster and somewhat nicer implementations over Siri. Also, Android isn't close enough to iOS that I'd consider switching to an Android-based device.

Let me reiterate that I think Siri is more innovative than Google Now because Apple saw various technologies that existed and made it into a new service that didn't exist. They bought Siri but it wasn't close to what they ended up doing with it. Google on the other hand had all the parts lying around well before the first Android-based device hit the market and they didn't see it. Apple is the Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave and Google is Obadiah Stane who has the resources but had to copy Stark after the fact.
  • Reply 153 of 265
    1) I didn't quote you so you could edit your post my quote showing the original comment. Oh well.

2) I think it's silly to use terms like Goofull, Crapple, Samedung, etc. as it hurts any reasonable argument you may have but I wouldn't call it a personal attack as it's bot toward a user on this forum.

3) Calling something a schmuck is a personal attack. It doesn't have to be "hateful" or severe to be an ad hominem.. Simple rule: comment on the post not the poster.

1. I didn't edit anything! My original post still lives & breathes in it's entirety in here!

2. What you find silly others find enjoyable or useful in describing their feelings about said company!

3. APPLE FORUM is becoming a questionable term around here. I take it personal when some fool comes in here spouting off about GooFool's work! SORRY IM A HARD CORE APPLE SUPPORTER! BEEN THERE SINCE 1984! I've have been there to witness these same fools switch from Microsoft who has been defeated, to Andrud arguments now!

I'm sorry I won't say schmuck, fools, boobs, dodo's, dummy or stup! Did I cover all the offensive words?

Look out boys theirs a new forum cop in town & he doesn't like you saying anything bad about Goofull or spellin it this a way!
  • Reply 154 of 265
    macart wrote: »
    I didn't edit anything! My original post still lives & breathes in it's entirety in here!

Yes, I know, hence my comment.
    I'm sorry I won't say schmuck, fools, boobs, dodo's, dummy or stup! Did I cover all the offensive words?

No one said anything about the words you chose, only your assignment of the words.
    Look out boys theirs a new forum cop in town & he doesn't like you saying anything bad about Goofull or spellin it this a way!

You can say what you want. I was trying to help your comments not sound so schmucky.
  • Reply 155 of 265
    I was trying to help your comments not sound so schmucky.

They may sound that way to a Andrud or Goofull fan and may send them to their room with tears.

But I'm in an APPLE FORUM? I guess. So I'm not here to coddle them or give everyone a ribbon for showing up.

Enjoy your Andrubbish, Cheers!
  • Reply 156 of 265
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macart View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

They didn't need to acquire a company for that unlike Apple who had to buy that technology.

Ooooohhhh, Good One! Do you think the GooGoo's never used a search engine or the web before starting GooGull? They followed someone else's path from day one! Yep, they invented search! Schmuck!

I guess you get your feelings hurt pretty easily.

Actually Apple had voice recognition long before Google existed. It came standard on my Quadra 840 AV but it didn't work worth a damn. Google built their voice recognition entirely in-house. Apple is still licensing theirs. Personally, I wish Apple could implement their own, but between Google and Nuance there probably isn't a lot of room patent-wise.

• Reply 157 of 265
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macart View Post

SORRY IM A HARD CORE APPLE SUPPORTER! BEEN THERE SINCE 1984!

Judging by how childish your remarks are I wouldn't have thought you were even born before 1984.

• Reply 158 of 265
    You haven't proven that one company uses one while the other uses the other.
    Not only that, but who says there are only two ways to do things? What if they are using aspects of both systems plus a few sprinked in from others to come up with their own unique way?

This is just another logical fallacy. Show two possible ways, A & B. Show that Apple isn't A (for example) and conclude they must be B.
  • Reply 159 of 265
    mstone wrote: »
    Judging by how childish your remarks are I wouldn't have thought you were even born before 1984.

As childish as spending your time pouting about GooGoo in "Apple" Forums?
  • Reply 160 of 265
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

You are confusing what the end consumer sees on the outside with the software design methodology used on the inside. They are highly non-related.

I don't believe I am confusing them. 

With the waterfall method the end consumer sees the finished product without any involvement to the design method used on the inside.  I think we both agree on that.  This would be similar to Apple's approach with iOS and OSX.  It makes sense that they would use an approach like this for things like iOS and OSX.  It would be the best approach for those products.

With the agile method, the customer is a part of the design methodology.  They are able to use the product while it's in development and feedback can be given which provides an iterative feedback loop until the end product is achieved.  This would be similar to Google's approach of releasing a product as a beta, collecting customer feedback and usage data, and using that information to improve the product more frequently.

I do find it funny how people are getting so objectionable about this though.  In case it needs to be said again, both approaches have their pros and cons.  Neither is bad.  To say that one company often uses one approach while another company tends to use a different approach doesn't imply that one company is better then the other.