Oscars host Ellen DeGeneres poses for Samsung sponsored selfie, but tweets from her iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    dedwrong wrote: »
    What another vapid hate filled useless 'article' from Dilger.  Click bait c**p to get the usual haters on here to vent their spleens about Samsung.  Really people?

Grow up and grow a pair.  This is exactly the same c**p we've had before when it was Apple vs Microsoft.  Apple is the no.1 tech company in the world with A+ products like the iPhone and iPad.  Why do you guys have to hate so much when Apple is in such ascendence?

FYI, you're getting your news from a site called AppleInsider, you're probably not going to get the most unbiased info. I'm on here because I tried regular tech sites, but the comments sections were filled with anti-Apple hate, for every article, even if it wasn't an Apple article. If it was a pro Apple article, the comments were even worse. I would say something in Apples defense but would just get hate filled replies faster than I could type. So, now I'm here. I guess those commenters will die with android phones in their hands, because I'm no longer there to stop them.

The comments here are pro Apple, but at least I don't have to deal with the hateful and poisonous vitriol, not just for every comment area, but for every thread in every comment area. So many Apple haters out there, it's amazing! And the funny part is, I'm sure most of them have never owned an Apple product. Reminds me of when I was a kid, and liked Nintendo but didn't like sega. Looking back, I wish I had liked both. Word of advice, you're not going to get away from commenters who hate one company or another, and you won't convince them to change here in the comments section, just find a news site that comes close to your perspective and enjoy the comments for what they're worth. Or try what I did, hope you have more success.
  • Reply 22 of 74
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    So she took selfies with the Samsung, moved them to her iPhone, and posted from there?

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/39050/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Update: No - the on stage-selfies appear to have been posted from the Samsung phone. I know: "Who cares?"

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/39053/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 23 of 74
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

I think it's interesting that Jerry Seinfeld likes Porsches, but advertises for Acura. Because that's exactly how I would compare Apple in relation to samsung...

Most of the time, when I see a celebrity, they're on an iPhone. Most rich people I know use iPhones....

I agree the iPhone is a terrific and premium phone.  Unfortunately in many parts of the world they are too pricey for people to afford.  I'm glad those people can get very decent alternatives at an affordable price.  Apple definitely is the 'rich kids' phone, although I do have some disdain for the 'Porsche' users that make fun of other people for not being able to afford one.  In the US it is not so much the technology that levels the playing field as it is the subsidies.

I'm hoping the rumored large screen iPhone becomes a reality later this year, as that's the biggest drawback to the iPhone for many people.

• Reply 24 of 74
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    arlor wrote: »
    I'm thinking they can't control what people do in their free time. And there's a long, long history of celebrities not actually using the products they get paid to endorse.

But Samsung's probably not too disappointed: far more people will have seen Ellen use a Samsung phone on TV than will have heard that she tweeted with something else. 

There's a diff between acting in a commercial and endorsing a product. Besides ABC was paid to promote Sammy, not Ellen.
  • Reply 25 of 74
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Done on purpose!...
    Apple is a big leader in gay-rights!...
    Samsung not so much...
    And unfortunately if I had to pick a company that I believe it isn't gay friendly, I would pick Samsung!...
    I don't really know...

off topic...

so I have observed here in Mississauga, when I see a Muslim person I also see a Samsung phone, so are these Muslims buying a Samsung phone because they don't like gay rights?, or are they buying it because it is a "good enough copy" of an iPhone?.

caveat, I can't remember seeing any Muslims in Mississauga sporting an iPhone, (but i can only that this is observationally true), I did see someone thin/slim in a burqa walk into an Apple Store at square one...
  • Reply 26 of 74
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member

All of the Hollywood Greats use iPhones.  Like Ellen DeGeneres. 

• Reply 27 of 74
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

when it comes to a product they're using (not advertising), I take notice because they have more time and money to find the best products and get the best stuff.

I always read every book that Oprah recommends.  She knows.

• Reply 28 of 74
    There is a pattern in all this. The brand is desperate to be seen as cool. And follows its overall product strategy here too: throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

http://www.bhatnaturally.com/brands/samsung-selfies-oscars-and-product-placement/
  • Reply 29 of 74
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

...Christ, it's like high school. What are you all, five?

I think you just had a Samsung moment there.

• Reply 30 of 74
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Ellen should stick to daytime schlocky TV with her pizza routine. Remember when she once dissed the iPhone's spellcheck?
  • Reply 31 of 74
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DEDWrong View Post

What another vapid hate filled useless 'article' from Dilger.  Click bait c**p to get the usual haters on here to vent their spleens about Samsung.  Really people?

And it gets the usual people who believe they're above the rest to post things like this.  The cycle of analysis continues to roll along...

What I found interesting is that, amidst the bombardment of Samsung advertising there was a single Apple commercial which ended up having more power because of that fact.

• Reply 32 of 74
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    auxio wrote: »
    And it gets the usual people who believe they're above the rest to post things like this.  The cycle of analysis continues to roll along...

What I found interesting is that, amidst the bombardment of Samsung advertising there was a single Apple commercial which ended up having more power because of that fact.

Absolutely. Sammy talks about "great" things being done on Sammy products. Apple shows that great things are being done on Apple products.

Same with that Google ad. Google talks about being a film make. Apple shows that people are creating films on iDevices.
  • Reply 33 of 74
    If I hadn't read this article, I would not have noticed that she was using a Samsung device . . .
  • Reply 34 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by haar View Post

Done on purpose!...

Samsung not so much...

And unfortunately if I had to pick a company that I believe it isn't gay friendly, I would pick Samsung!...

I don't really know...

off topic...

so I have observed here in Mississauga, when I see a Muslim person I also see a Samsung phone, so are these Muslims buying a Samsung phone because they don't like gay rights?, or are they buying it because it is a "good enough copy" of an iPhone?.

caveat, I can't remember seeing any Muslims in Mississauga sporting an iPhone, (but i can only that this is observationally true), I did see someone thin/slim in a burqa walk into an Apple Store at square one...

There must be somewhere else where your homophobia is welcome.

• Reply 35 of 74
    tjstjs Posts: 31member

"If I hadn't read this article, I would not have noticed that she was using a Samsung device . . ."

Same here. I wasn't paying any attention to the brand/model of phone at any point during the show. I did enjoy the candid "celebrity crowd" selfie. Even if it was a staged moment, everyone in it appears to be having a genuine "fun" moment; not the forced, fake smiles you normally see.

• Reply 36 of 74
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member

[quote]

From Cash907's deleted post

2) Samsung needs to put it in writing that if their paid sponsors are too stupid to actually use the products they're being paid to use, they forfeit every dime they've been paid. Seriously. You all are attacking Samsunh for this, but really, how stupid do you have to be here? This is like trying to sell Coke while wearing a Pepsi t shirt. Morons.

Gotta love all the Samsung hate here. Christ, it's like high school. What are you all, five? You can support your brand of choice without talking childish smack about the competition, ya know? You know how I voice my opinion on te matter? I buy Apple products instead of Samsung products, but I don't talk smack about them or their users. So difficult.[/quote]

First off, sorry AI's mods are so insecure they felt the need to delete your post... but... this is an Apple fan site, not a place for self-deprecation and thoughtful insight. Samsung are a corrupt and frankly dishonorable company for all kinds of reasons (this frankly is the least of them) - so much so, that it's causing concern back in their native Korea

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/in-s-korea-the-republic-of-samsung/2012/12/09/71215420-3de1-11e2-bca3-aadc9b7e29c5_story.html

• Reply 37 of 74
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    haar wrote: »
    Done on purpose!...
    Samsung not so much...
    I don't really know...

off topic...

There must be somewhere else where your homophobia is welcome.

Really... you thought that the post that I made was homophobic?
    I thought it came off with me disliking Muslum men due to the way they treat women...
    my point of the post was Ellen DeGeneres used an iPhone, to show she did not sell-out to Samsung, and IMO Apple is a bigger gay-rights supporter than Samsung is!.
    I have often thought that people buy a Samsung because of Apple stance on gay rights or support I should say...
    to make my point clear I will never buy a Samsung phone, or or a Google/Samsung tablet...
    I have purchased Samsung monitors but that was before the whole iPhone copying debacle...
    Samsung will not get a "pass " from me anymore, they will have to prove that their product is superior... (and their stance on human rights is at least equal to Apple or better)
  • Reply 38 of 74
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Last year alone, Samsung spent $14 billion on marketing, a figure that investors have targeted as extravagantly excessive.

Yeah, time to let up on the gas pedal a bit.  No need for Samsung to spend anywhere near $14 billion on marketing this year.  They've already crushed their Android hardware rivals LG, HTC, Sony, Motorola, and whoever else belonged to the Open Handset Alliance (anybody remember the OHA?)  

Oh, and of course Sammy has also crushed Nexus, Google's "reference" Android hardware / software pairing.  And as for all those white-box Chinese vendors, who cares?  They're so busy pushing each other off the low-margin cliff that Samsung doesn't need to try to crush them.  They're doing it to themselves.

No, Samsung can cut back on marketing a bit in 2014.  Better to spend that money developing Tizen.

Because Tizen will give them something that money can't buy: control of their own destiny in the mobile space.

This is something they'll never have if they continue to depend on Google for their mobile OS.

• Reply 39 of 74
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

.... Does Twitter actually have an Android version app? All I see is celebs tweeting from an iPhone!

The simple, and most likely explanation, is that celebs usually make a lot of money, and people with money don't buy "cheap" .... they buy value. Remember ... Cost is what you spend. Value is what you get ... and there's a huge difference. Both of my daughters have an iPhone, and I can flat out guarantee you that neither one is "rich", but they both work hard for their money and they don't like to waste it on junk.

• Reply 40 of 74
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    newbee wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
     .... Does Twitter actually have an Android version app? All I see is celebs tweeting from an iPhone!
    The simple, and most likely explanation, is that celebs usually make a lot of money, and people with money don't buy "cheap" .... they buy value. Remember ... Cost is what you spend. Value is what you get ... and there's a huge difference. Both of my daughters have an iPhone, and I can flat out guarantee you that neither one is "rich", but they both work hard for their money and they don't like to waste it on junk.

And that is just it: with Apple we see their CEO on stage informing us how many they've sold and that people are loving their iPhone, and why. With Samsung we also get to see (one of their three) CEO('s) on stage, but they cut the sentence short after giving us the number.