Apple announces iOS-powered CarPlay infotainment system, to roll out later this year

124

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 89
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Oh, gee... Thanks for that last comment. I just spit my breakfast all over from laughing.

    :D
  • Reply 62 of 89
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,883member
    I'm hoping Nissan delivers a software update for this. I just bought a car.
  • Reply 63 of 89
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jungmark wrote: »
    I'm hoping Nissan delivers a software update for this. I just bought a car.

    Maybe, but I think it depends on how much longer they plan to have the current lot of Nissans for sale. If your model/year will be on sale when they plan to launch this you may be fine, but if they need to do some HW changes, like a special line for that Lightning cable, not the USB AUX port it comes with, then you may be SoL.
  • Reply 64 of 89
    This article talks about how this will revolutionize cars like the ipod did MP3 players. Cool stuff, and just the beginning!

    http://www.apaininthetech.com/home/2014/2/22/apple-iositc-set-to-revolutionize-cars-like-they-did-with-the-ipod
  • Reply 65 of 89
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

    According to Apple, CarPlay can access all knobs, buttons and dials controlling an in-car display.

     

    Except for the iDrive controller in BMW and Rolls Royce cars.  BMW may have invested too much time and energy (and money) in iDrive development to let Apple wade in and obsolete a huge chunk of its code.  Then again, I'm sure dealers hear customers whining each and every day about being forced to buy the "Technology Package" (a $2,150 option) for "Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration" along with "Navigation system w/ touchpad" and "BMW Online and BMW Apps."  I'd expect CarPlay to replace BMW Nav and Apps, and Eyes Free to eliminate much of the menu-drill-down navigation required by iDrive.

     

    Maybe dealers will report this dissatisfaction back to Munich, and maybe BMW management will cut a deal with Apple.  Who knows?

  • Reply 66 of 89
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,302member
    I realize iDrive wasn't available, but CarPlay? Surely there must have been a name that sounded less Googley and more Apple-like. A little surprising.

    I do like the way it looks in the video tho.
  • Reply 67 of 89
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    They should put a touchpad down in the center console where BMW has their controller. I don't want to reach forward to touch the actual screen. I like the screen recessed in the dash so that it is shaded for better contrast and no reflections. In that position it is not convenient to reach out and touch it, especially if you are tall and have the seat all the way back.

  • Reply 68 of 89
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    They should put a touchpad down in the center console where BMW has their controller. I don't want to reach forward to touch the actual screen. I like the screen recessed in the dash so that it is shaded for better contrast and no reflections. In that position it is not convenient to reach out and touch it, especially if you are tall and have the seat all the way back.

    1) A touchpad implies a mouse pointer which I'd think would be more cumbersome to maneuver than simply tapping on a virtually represented item.

    2) I hope they include a knob option that will highlight each CarPlay item which can then be selected by pressing the knob.

    3) I assume that you'll be able to use Siri commands from the hands-free button on the steering wheel to control most of the items. I'd think this would be the safest option.
  • Reply 69 of 89
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I realize iDrive wasn't available, but CarPlay? Surely there must have been a name that sounded less Googley and more Apple-like. A little surprising.

    I do like the way it looks in the video tho.
    Didn't Apple have AirPlay before the Google Play Store?
  • Reply 70 of 89
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,408member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Didn't Apple have AirPlay before the Google Play Store?

    Good point.

    AirPlay
    CarPlay
    Coldplay
  • Reply 71 of 89
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Good point.

    AirPlay
    CarPlay
    Coldplay

    Kid 'n Play
  • Reply 72 of 89
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,302member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Didn't Apple have AirPlay before the Google Play Store?

    Not entirely certain. Airplay use to be called AirTunes. Don't know when they changed it or even when Google changed the Android Market to GooglePlay. In any event I think more people would generally associate CarPlay with Google than Apple (PlayMusic, PlayMovies, etc) if they didn't know any different.

    EDIT: I see they called it AirPlay at WWDC2011. Maybe it was even earlier than that?
  • Reply 73 of 89
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post



    2) I hope they include a knob option that will highlight each CarPlay item which can then be selected by pressing the knob.

     

    I know a lot of people around the forum have little affection for BMW iDrive but it is fine for me. That is exactly how it works, with a knob. I really don't want to touch the screen. It is too far away. So yeah a knob would make sense.

     

    One thing BMW needs to fix is the way it dials #s that have an extension. With iPhone you put a comma and it pauses just long enough to dial the extension but BMW doesn't understand the comma.

  • Reply 74 of 89
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Not entirely certain. Airplay use to be called AirTunes. Don't know when they changed it or even when Google changed the Android Market to GooglePlay. In any event I think more people would generally associate CarPlay with Google than Apple (PlayMusic, PlayMovies, etc) if they didn't know any different.

    EDIT: I see they called it AirPlay at WWDC2011. Maybe it was even earlier than that?
    Wikipedia has AirTunes from 2004 and AirPlay from 2010.


    mstone wrote: »
    I know a lot of people around the forum have little affection for BMW iDrive but it is fine for me.

    Well those people are knobs. :D
    One thing BMW needs to fix is the way it dials #s that have an extension. With iPhone you put a comma and it pauses just long enough to dial the extension but BMW doesn't understand the comma.

    Hopefully the system will use iOS to make calls thereby preserving how it dials. I'll have to check that in my car next time, but I think my hands-free shows it "calling" my phone which then the phone does it all, but I can't be certain.

    One thing I am certain of is my car's address book system is downright archaic. It only lists the first three numbers for a contact and gives them labels as HOME, WORK, and OTHER; I think in that order regardless of how they are setup in the vCard in Contacts.
  • Reply 75 of 89
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post



    Hopefully the system will use iOS to make calls thereby preserving how it dials. I'll have to check that in my car next time, but I think my hands-free shows it "calling" my phone which then the phone does it all, but I can't be certain.

     

    Mine imports all the contacts every time I get in the car which takes awhile because I have maybe a couple hundred contacts. So apparently when I call the car just sends the number straight to the phone just like if I dialed a new number using the on-screen dialer. So maybe it is the iPhone's fault and it doesn't understand the comma when sent directly from the car, only if you are tapping the contact in iOS. Or perhaps the car removes the comma. Now that I think about, that seems more likely.

  • Reply 76 of 89
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) I am surprised there is no mention of BT connectivity, but I wonder if it's just an omission since the devices listed seem to be the ones with BT4.0.

    2) I don't know why anyone expected something revolutionary on the dash. It's a touchscreen you access whilst driving so it needs to be clean and simple.

    3) I still contend, along with [@]Gatorguy[/@], that any exclusivity will be short-lived and that VW Group will have iOS and the others will Android access.

    4) No Rolls Royce? There goes my next car purchase¡
    No, because iOS isn't designed to work that way.
    If Apple makes devices for proctologists will that be called AssPlay?
    I literally lol'ed :lol:
  • Reply 77 of 89
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

     

    Good for Apple! Looks good...Now all we need is tesla to give up on Android. 

     

    I know Maps had problems but I do like saying the address to Siri and it just opens and starts. It had a few miss-steps for me early on, but none lately.

     

    I had the Tom Tom App for the iPhone way back in the day and I thought it was brilliant. But I had to type in the street number, then type in the street name. It was not easy to do in the car. 

     

    This will certainly influence my next car purchase. It will be a hybrid, probably a Prius or a Hybrid Highlander. Would love to get an all electric but the ranges are limiting. Telsa can go 300 miles but it's a $100,000. There's an electric motorcycle, I'm considering called the Zero, $13,000 and a non-hybrid three wheeler for $6,800 that gets 84 mpg (hwy).

     

    Best.


    One would have to persuade Tesla to switch from Google Maps to Apple Maps. Besides being a much less well-tested platform, Apple Maps also doesn't have an API for third parties to write mapping applications using Apple's data.

  • Reply 78 of 89
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,883member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Kid 'n Play

    Here we go again.
  • Reply 79 of 89
    solipsismx wrote: »
    If Apple makes devices for proctologists will that be called AssPlay?
    Not to be a pain in the ass, but this comment deserves at least a "thumbs up"!
  • Reply 80 of 89
    I’ll add that maybe that internal stereo space could be used as a compartment into which an iDevice could be safely stored. Simple little door or something.
    Kind of like this?
    http://www.fusionelectronics.com/marine/products/700-series/ms-ip700]http://www.fusionelectronics.com/marine/products/700-series/ms-ip700
Sign In or Register to comment.