Microsoft working to bring Xbox Live service to iOS, taking on Apple's Game Center

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
Microsoft's Xbox Live social gaming service is set to go cross-platform, reaching beyond the Xbox consoles and Windows devices to Apple's iOS, and also Google's Android.

Xbox One

The expansion of Xbox Live to Apple's iPhone and iPad would put Microsoft's platform in direct competition with Apple's own Game Center for iOS. Both services allow users to track their achievements in titles and add friends to see what others are playing.

Microsoft's apparent interest in brining Xbox Live to both IOS and Android is reportedly set to become a reality in a "big way" in the near future, according to The Verge. Citing unnamed sources, the publication reported on Monday that Xbox Live functionality is set to come to iOS and Android games, in an effort to "win back" game developers.

The hope from Microsoft is that developers who may have been previously put off by the company's strict certification requirements for titles may give the company another shot. Microsoft is working on reducing those restrictions in an effort to court smaller and independent developers, which in recent years have embraced platforms like iOS and Android, and also to some extent have switched development to rival Sony's PlayStation line of consoles.

Microsoft reportedly views Xbox Live as a service that could apply across "every platform," serving as an alternative and more universal way for gamers to track achievements, connect with friends, and potentially even compete with friends in cross-platform titles.

Apple has offered Game Center as a social gaming solution for iOS developers since 2010. And in 2012, Game Center made its way to the Mac, making it a true cross-platform service for Apple's hardware ecosystem.

Microsoft already offers a SmartGlass app for iOS that allows iPhone or iPad users to control and integrate their device with the company's Xbox One and Xbox 360 consoles. That application allows users to log in to their Xbox Live account to view their friends and recently played titles.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    I wouldn't mind seeing this. Xbox Live is one of the few things that Microsoft has really done right in the consumer space. It is far more robust than Apple's relatively weak offering in Game Center.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    I hope this works out for MS. They've been late to the party for everything else.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    disturbiadisturbia Posts: 563member
    I believe it when I see it .... until then drop dead google!

Yeah yeah, I know I know. But I always have to give some shit to google!! ROFLAMO
  • Reply 4 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gilly33 wrote: »
    I hope this works out for MS. They've been late to the party for everything else.

True but there were times in history when even though they were late, they simply stole other's IP and caught up and in some cases took the lead. Never count a rattle snake out till you cut its f^%$$#^*g head off.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Wasn't this called "Games for Windows Live" on the PC? I recall it was a massive failure, mostly superseded by Steam.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Microsoft's Xbox Live social gaming service is set to go cross-platform, reaching beyond the Xbox consoles and Windows devices to Apple's iOS, and also Google's Android.

The hope from Microsoft is that developers who may have been previously put off by the company's strict certification requirements for titles may give the company another shot. Microsoft is working on reducing those restrictions in an effort to court smaller and independent developers, which in recent years have embraced platforms like iOS and Android, and also to some extent have switched development to rival Sony's PlayStation line of consoles.

Before MS can move ahead, it must mend fences that they tore all apart because of their own arrogance. This last time around they managed to piss off more groups of people than usual before backtracking nearly 100%. Their first announcements pissed off potential XBox customers, the GameStop Co. and their customers, Developers and anyone else who has a vested interest in the XBox. Now they want to lure back developers by offering them a larger base of gamers, i.e. Mac, iOS and Android gamers.

How well will that work out, I wonder? Console gamers are a different breed in some respects from mobile app gamers. While there is some crossover, I want to list where there may be some strong differences. How may they differ in sociability? The size of the equipment and the need to hook up consoles to various devices, makes it more of set-it-up-and-play-where-it's-at social setting. Compare that with have-it-with-you-and-play-where-ever social setting. The console games are generally immersive and long-playing, as opposed to mobile gaming that allow a more play-and-pause interactivity.

How about the experience of playing a console game compared to a mobile game? Game consoles are updated about once every 10 years, while the mobile platforms are usually updated annually. This would seem to say that the immersive experience and the quality of the graphics are today at the widest difference that may ever be until about 2024 or so. What will happen if Mobile passes the console experience in that time frame? Mobile graphics would have to improve, but the gap currently isn't that wide. Apple will need game controllers - third-party now. How far away before Apple offers such? Finally, the games need to be able to move to large flat screens with 4K graphics as native. Apple's A7 is getting close. In addition, the ATV is currently really just a two-year-old iPad. What if the ATV got a upgrade to an A7 and more memory? How satisfactory would that be? How about it getting an A8 or A9 this year or next?

Currently MS sees Sony as their competition, I don't think it's too far off when Apple's mobile gaming will eat the XBox's lunch, after stealing its lunch money too.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Wasn't this called "Games for Windows Live" on the PC? I recall it was a massive failure, mostly superseded by Steam.

Steam was Before GFWL. GFWL was MS's attempt at consolizing the PC space.

MS just wanted in on that Steam Money.
    --------------------------------

Steam had Dedicated Servers, GFWL did not

Steam was Free, MS wanted $15 (eventually free)

SteamWorks DRM authentication did not apply other than first time or DLC patches, GFWL made games unplayable by eating Activations.

Steam had sales and actively encouraged community input, GFWL did not.

The list of garbage GFWL was and is can go on for pages.
    --------
    So I would advise anyone who says "But they can't possibly screw up Live!" to look at GFWL and treat this news cautiously.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member

Apple's Game Center is a failure.  Who cares what games other people are playing, or what scores they get?  I have never even opened the app on the Mac, and I disable it on the iPhone.

• Reply 9 of 11
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    SmartGlass was a sad attempt to copy Nintendo's Wii U. and how would xbox live disrupt gamecenter?? they don't even run the same games.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Apple's Game Center is a failure.

More users than Xbox Live, so Xbox Live is a failure. Thanks for clarifying.

• Reply 11 of 11

MleM-great thoughts.