Gartner ignores Apple's sales numbers, reports Android marketshare doubled iPad in 2013

Comments

• Reply 21 of 165
    rf9rf9 Posts: 70member

These are raw sales.  These don't talk about where, what kind of tablets, for how much, etc.

A vast majority of "Android Tablets" are sold in Asian markets where they are used for pure consumption as a television.   They aren't exactly being bought for "tablet use."

What matters is profitability of the tablets as well as number of profitable of customers.

How many of those Android tablets are being sold to people who will pay $3-$6 for multiple games and apps?  Music?  Movies?  That number is what's relevant as that number will determine how many and what developers will create worthwhile apps for the ecosystem.  I've seen so many Samsung Galaxy tab giveaways this year it's ridiculous.

I have an iPad purely for the quantity and quality of specific apps.  I'd personally be fine getting an Android tablet that's 1/3 the price if I could get the same apps.

This trend of putting so much credit into pure sales number without taking any other market factors into place is just stupid.

• Reply 22 of 165
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    This analysis and report is up at Android Central with the usual Apple is doomed slant.
  • Reply 23 of 165
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    The discrepancy to Apple's own published figures is very unusual and calls into question the validity of the Android estimate. That said, it probably is broadly correct that Android tablets have greater market share. But the unit sales for Android are likely coming from the low end. The Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 are arguably the closest to the iPad in terms of quality. Yet (again, taking Gartner's numbers with a grain of salt), they don't appear to be making significant gains.

So if we do a "profit share" comparison, or a "revenue share" then Apple is probably even further ahead with the iPad than the iPhone is in its market.
  • Reply 24 of 165
    A statistician, true to their craft, will attempt to better define a category labelled as "Others" when the category is equal to 30% of the total being analyzed. This is particularly true when the smallest identified category is 3% of the total. Other should never, ever be your 2nd largest data category. After all, there may be a really good manufacturer that Gartner has hidden in the Other category.

In another note, I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung were looking at that second chart and trying to figure out a way to become #2 right now. After all, it must be terribly embarrassing to know Other produces more units than Samsung. And, hey, if I were Samsung, I would sure want to know what company was shipping more units than I was. Other than Apple of course.
  • Reply 25 of 165
    rf9rf9 Posts: 70member

So which tablet took nearly all of the profits last year?

Which OS brought in a larger dollar amount of purchases (for apps, games, or movies?)

• Reply 26 of 165
    indymacindymac Posts: 9member
    tooltalk wrote: »
    Yes, we call this "confirmation bias."

The word you are looking for is anecdotal. An account based on personal accounts rather than facts or research. Confirmation bias is the tendency to interpret new information as confirming ones own belief.

For example, this article shows a confirmation bias at AI in their belief that Gartner's research is not objective or scientific. Believing iPads are more popular because thst is all you see people use is anecdotal.
  • Reply 27 of 165
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Apple missed a good opportunity to kill Samsung and numerous low end tablets makers by making the base model $32GB.  If the low end makers try to match they will lose money. 

• Reply 28 of 165
    Ya, let the suckers pay for dumb research and other suckers make investment decisions based on these sucking numbers...the truth is the truth and the facts are facts...that's the way the cookies crumbles.
  • Reply 29 of 165
    Well, a 5% discrepancy is remarkably small in the world of market data. In terms of time, it's a difference of a couple of weeks of sales.
    If this estimate was arrived at independently of Apple's numbers, it actually gives enormous credibility to the rest of the data.
    And it certainly doesn't change the big picture.
  • Reply 30 of 165
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

So some $50 POS Android tablet means Apple is doomed? Take your popcorn and... well, you know.

Ha Ha , keep 'em coming.

• Reply 31 of 165
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave MacLachlan View Post

I dunno. I could very well be living a very sheltered existence where I am, but, I've only ever seen iPads and Kindles (the original and Paperwhite - not the Fire versions.) I've never seen an Android tablet "in the wild" - i.e., not for sale on a shelf, but actually being used by someone. Same for a Surface - I've seen one for sale in Staples, but have never seen one that has been purchased.

. . .

“ . . . never seen an Android tablet in the wild” probably indicating shamed closet users or have been tossed to back of sock-drawers as sleepers.

• Reply 32 of 165

People make investment decisions on the future, not on the past. Interesting in that sense is Apple's dramatic slow down in unit sale growth, and Gartner's expectation that hybrid sales will grow when people replace tablets (they mean in effect that people will buy Windows hybrid devices instead of the next iPad). We'll see if this happens or not, and if Apple decides to offer a hybrid device (as we expect).

• Reply 33 of 165
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

If the 70 millions is the number they came up with there way to finding sales and the real number is 74 millions, then that means they are right on with other devices...

I don't see nexus tablets up there, so they are in the "other" category, which could mean a good chunck of sales are Nexus.  

Apple is losing on unit ships or market shares on both phones and tablets... , I don't see how denying it is helping in anything...

• Reply 34 of 165
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Yes, we call this "confirmation bias."

Really? Is it REALLY confirmation bias? Because I'm into technology, I specifically pay attention to what I see people using around me, everyday. When I see an Android/Microsoft tablet, they actually stand out MORE in my point, because I see them so uncommonly. Today, I was in a University campus, 2 coffee shops, a bank, a bus, in a mall, and 2 people's houses. In that time, I must have noticed 100 people using iPads. I was SPECIFICALLY looking for something different- and not once did I see it. So no, It can't always be confirmation bias. I think the vast majority of people can admit to seeing way more iPads in the wild that anything else. I'm sure these Android tablets are going SOMEWHERE (in a hole, maybe), but for some reason, it's not somewhere that your average citizen actually frequents. There's nothing anecdotal about it. 

Does it really matter if one billion Android tablets are sold tomorrow, if barely anyone uses them for anything meaningful? In terms of web usage stats, ads, e-commerce, app-downloads, ecosystem usage, etc- everything is still steeply in the iPad camp. That is pretty meaningful. 

• Reply 35 of 165
    I must say being an Apple fan boy for such a long time I got tired of waiting for a phone that did not require bifocals.. so I bought a Note III and found it superior in every way except for build Quality... and it's still not to shabby. I'm looking at the sammy 12 inch tab, I like the idea of multi tasking.. Apple better start moving faster or it's only going to get worse for them
  • Reply 36 of 165
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    sharpdave wrote: »
    I must say being an Apple fan boy for such a long time I got tired of waiting for a phone that did not require bifocals.. so I bought a Note III and found it superior in every way except for build Quality... and it's still not to shabby. I'm looking at the sammy 12 inch tab, I like the idea of multi tasking.. Apple better start moving faster or it's only going to get worse for them

Nice first post. Smells like BS.
  • Reply 37 of 165
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

They got Amazon brand tablet sales numbers for the past two years down to within a hundred units AND they got Apple's posted numbers wrong?   hmmm. That speaks a lot to the accuracy of their numbers. 

• Reply 38 of 165
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rf9 View Post

These are raw sales.  These don't talk about where, what kind of tablets, for how much, etc.

A vast majority of "Android Tablets" are sold in Asian markets where they are used for pure consumption as a television.   They aren't exactly being bought for "tablet use."

What matters is profitability of the tablets as well as number of profitable of customers.

How many of those Android tablets are being sold to people who will pay $3-$6 for multiple games and apps?  Music?  Movies?  That number is what's relevant as that number will determine how many and what developers will create worthwhile apps for the ecosystem.  I've seen so many Samsung Galaxy tab giveaways this year it's ridiculous.

I have an iPad purely for the quantity and quality of specific apps.  I'd personally be fine getting an Android tablet that's 1/3 the price if I could get the same apps.

This trend of putting so much credit into pure sales number without taking any other market factors into place is just stupid.

Gartner can do this, because they don't advise investors, they advise corporate decision makers on what devices to support in the enterprise.   

Show me the money...

Remember, this is the gartner that is so in tune with the tablet market place that they felt that Windows would be Number 2 by this year.   They got burned by that one, and now are doubling down on Android.    After what Pichai said last week about securing android, my guess is that it's the AV vendors that really want this number to be true, and want gartner to drive this so they can get a toe hold into the enterprise for mobile AV.  Because if they have an android version, and if they have a [worthless] iOS version,  they don't care if it's android or iOS, they're hoping the typical IT mantra of 'we are a [insert vendor] AV on all device standard shop.'   

As aluded to by rf9, the ecosystem is the critical number.   How many credit cards does Samsung, or HTC, or even Google have active in their mobility application/content accounts?  I'm not saying that there are 20 devices on the shelf/drawer for every iOS device, but other than Amazon, I see no evidence that people actually use a non-Kindle Android Device even on a parity with an iPad.

• Reply 39 of 165
    All I can say is LOL
  • Reply 40 of 165
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    Android tablets market share is surging, especially Samsung's market share is remarkable. Apple needs to come up with innovation soon.