Apple's Greg Joswiak appears onstage with Ferrari to introduce new CarPlay-equipped grand ...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 93
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

To keep an iPad in a car all the time is a waste because you can not use it most of the time.

It's better to plug-in your iPhone in any car and allow others to plug-in their iPhones in your car when needed.

Once your iPhone is plugged in, the car essentially becomes your car; even if it is a rental.

Your contacts, your music & media, your messages, Your phone number, your iCloud data all become available.

oh, wrong. you forget about your passengers, who use the iPad to kill time on longer trips or search for stuff around and about. my wife does this all the time. they can take care of the infotainment system instead of the driver - much safer.

• Reply 22 of 93
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member

In related news, Samsung announces CarPlayGround initiative with Hyundai and KIA. 

• Reply 23 of 93
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,442moderator
    Not that car interfaces have ever been particularly good but I don't think they're improved enough here. The UIs are far too distracting. There was a demo here with a video that has some ideas:

http://mmminimal.com/a-new-car-ui/

but it's not immediately intuitive and would need capacitive touch hardware. Given that it's not Apple making the hardware controls with CarPlay, it's really the responsibility of the car manufacturers to do this. The entire interface should require that you don't take your eyes off the road, except for maps. As soon as you have to focus on a musician's name, track title, icon, home button, you are not focusing on driving - you should be able to feel for the controls without looking. Perhaps this just needs an override to detect when the car is in motion. The iOS device can detect this and change the UI accordingly.

If a track is playing, the display can shut off. Tapping the screen in the middle can play/pause the track and tap-hold to read the track name, tapping right/left for next and previous track, slide or tap up/down for volume.

Some people have complained about the cable connection but I expect the UI is being streamed over the cable, bluetooth might not be fast enough to push the display data over.

Hopefully they will come up with an alternative for people who can't afford a fancy car too:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/39118/width/300/height/1000[/IMG]

That would just be the same UI they already have but at least there would be some recognition of this group in their advertising.
  • Reply 24 of 93
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

That screen looked painful to use, scroll bars and arrows to scroll between screens.  Yuck.

• Reply 25 of 93
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    I guess what I don't get is, does this mean auto makers who implement it will only be able to sell to iPhone owners? I'm sure not, but still not quite clear on the scope of the target audience.
    Also, is this an iPhone lock-in then? Once I get this car (like, yeah, sure) if my iPhone dies, amd I without a console until I replace it... with another iPhone?

Still, it still looks better than anything I've seen, including the built-in Tesla console.
  • Reply 26 of 93
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

4) Are all of these screens the same aspect ratio? 4:3? If not how many different UIs is Apple making? Does their CarPlay system require a certain aspect ratio? What about resolution or sizes? There is surely some leeway in size for a given UI but resolution could easily change wildly between manufactures. Is Apple using Resolution Independence here? It's plugged in so power isn't an issue.

You're not seriously trying to shoehorn 16:9 into this as well, are you? 

I do NOT want movies visible on a driver-oriented screen, and that's essentially the only reason for 16:9. 

Even tablets that use it (looking at you, Surface), are now pretty obviously barking up the wrong tree.

16:9 belongs on a wall, not a car or hand-held device.

All IMO.

• Reply 27 of 93
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I do NOT want movies visible on a driver-oriented screen, and that's essentially the only reason for 16:9. 

Even tablets that use it (looking at you, Surface), are now pretty obviously barking up the wrong tree.

All IMO.

Agree, generally, but it would be interesting to see Apple also include some functionality for entertainment units in the non-driver seats.  

• Reply 28 of 93
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    gqb wrote: »
    I guess what I don't get is, does this mean auto makers who implement it will only be able to sell to iPhone owners? I'm sure not, but still not quite clear on the scope of the target audience.
    Also, is this an iPhone lock-in then? Once I get this car (like, yeah, sure) if my iPhone dies, amd I without a console until I replace it... with another iPhone?

Still, it still looks better than anything I've seen, including the built-in Tesla console.

No it runs alongside (on top off) the car manufacturer's own OS, if you want to activate CarPlay you can press the button (and I suppose that when you plug an iPhone in it automatically opens/activates CarPlay as well). But people without iPhone can use the car manufacturer's own OS.
  • Reply 29 of 93
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No worries. I see no reason why Android users shouldn't have the option, too. It's not like it's a one of the other feature, unless the automaker chooses to go that route. I suppose Apple could require that automakers choose sides but I'm guessing that won't be the case.

what's slick about CarPlay is that it is running on top of the automaker's own Nav system OS (some Linux flavor? or QNX for Ford soon). just like AirPlay works on multiple brands of AV equipment with some other kind of underlying simple OS. all it needs is a dedicated button on the Nav unit, like an input switch on a TV, and access to the voice button on the steering wheel and touch screen UI elements.

the same would be true for DroidPlay. actually, Android devices can access AirPlay gear now via a third party app, but that is a kludge work around, and i doubt CarPlay could be ripped off like that too. so Google will replicate its own version. but it can't be web based as it always prefers, because that would limit it to cars with their own data web link - very few right now and an extra cost. we'll see if they can make it wireless ...

• Reply 30 of 93
    There's nothing stopping automakers from including USB playback or BT audio support in their in-car systems. Or car makers could also make CarPlay a factory package you have to order at additional cost, meaning other options are on the table. There's absolutely nothing exclusionary about CarPlay. It just gives better integration for people who choose the iPhone.
  • Reply 31 of 93
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    alfiejr wrote: »
    what's slick about CarPlay is that it is running on top of the automaker's own Nav system OS (some Linux flavor? or QNX for Ford soon). just like AirPlay works on multiple brands of AV equipment with some other kind of underlying simple OS. all it needs is a dedicated button on the Nav unit, like an input switch on a TV, and access to the voice button on the steering wheel and touch screen UI elements.

the same would be true for DroidPlay. actually, Android devices can access AirPlay gear now via a third party app, but that is a kludge work around, and i doubt CarPlay could be ripped off like that too. so Google will replicate its own version. but it can't be web based as it always prefers, because that would limit it to cars with their own data web link - very few right now and an extra cost. we'll see if they can make it wireless ...

Actually I've read that CarPlay runs on (is powered by) QNX.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/apple-carplay-powered-by-blackberry-qnx-04-03-2014/
  • Reply 32 of 93
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Not at all. There is as much lock in as there was with the iPod car kits that started up almost a decade ago. You could still use the AUX port and later the USB port, as well as their standard audio system. As this article's video shows you can even switch between Apple Maps and the Ferrari's mapping system. OAA over CarPlay may require certain package but there is no evidence that a single car maker will be forced to be locked into just CarPlay or just OAA.

All IMO.

What? What? What?!* I don't see where I eluded to 16:9 or movie playback in my post. I think video playback is illegal and simply not possible with this CarPlay setup. As for 16:9, I have no idea what aspect ratios (or display sizes or resolutions) are used between automakers. I would assume there is no standard but so far I've only seen what looks to be about 4:3. My questions regarding how CarPlay will adjust to these three different aspects of a display still stand.

* South Park's The Stick of Truth arrives in the US today. Thanks to GTR I'm sold on the "PC" version of the game. GTR killed $60 of my money. You bastards!
  • Reply 33 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

oh, wrong. you forget about your passengers, who use the iPad to kill time on longer trips or search for stuff around and about. my wife does this all the time. they can take care of the infotainment system instead of the driver - much safer.

Well, the passenger can still do all of that either with the plugged in iPhone or a mobile iPad from home.

The only potential issue I see that the driver may forget to take their phone with them when they leave the car, and this is where the iWatch will come in handy to remind you to take the phone when it loses Bluetooth LE connectivity.  I think CarPlay is just the beginning of something much bigger.

• Reply 34 of 93
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

of course Google will announce its Android knock-off version of CarPlay in a matter of months, if not weeks...

why the need for a hard wired connection instead of wifi, like AirPlay, or BT4? it would be nice to just leave the iPhone in your pocket/purse. expect we will learn what the technical issues are ... and the iPad would need a wireless setup more, so maybe that is why it is omitted from V.1.

the test will be how many 2015 brands and models feature CarPlay this fall. Google will have to wait for the 2016 models - real world deployment takes careful preparation -

Google's was already announced, and I think Audis with it are expected to ship in 2014

• Reply 35 of 93
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,590member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) I didn't notice it was resistive but I did notice they had a dedicated, physical APPLE CARPLAY button on the console. Not sure if that was just for this release, something Ferarri will do, or something others will do. I like that. I would much rather have that than my AM and FM radio buttons on my car. I also liked the demo showing the FF app in CarPlay will get you back to the default UI for the car when pressed.

2) I like the cars that use a knob for selecting CarPlay apps. That is much safer, especially if it will read off each selection as you select it, thereby allowing you to keep your eyes on the road.

3) I like the virtual Home Button being at the lower left but I think that the rest of the left side seems like wasted space. I also don't care for the right side having the scroll and alphabet options since it could be utilized too much and be too much of a stretch for the average to comfortably and safely reach.

4) Are all of these screens the same aspect ratio? 4:3? If not how many different UIs is Apple making? Does their CarPlay system require a certain aspect ratio? What about resolution or sizes? There is surely some leeway in size for a given UI but resolution could easily change wildly between manufactures. Is Apple using Resolution Independence here? It's plugged in so power isn't an issue.
    While pondering those questions consider that Apple is apparently using Blackberry's QNX for that iPhone connection. Never even entered my mind that they would be involved until I ran across the mention.

"Connectivity to smartphones and other mobile devices is a key strength of QNX Software Systems’ platform for car infotainment systems, and many automakers and tier one automotive suppliers use our platform to implement smartphone/head-unit integration in their vehicles. We have a long-standing partnership with Apple to ensure high-quality connectivity with their devices, and this partnership extends to support for Apple CarPlay.”

That would explain the reports a few days ago of Ford dumping Microsoft and turning to QNX for their Sync connectivity, then yesterdays mention that Carplay is probably coming to Ford.

EDIT: Google is also a partner with QNX.
  • Reply 36 of 93
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    While pondering those questions consider that Apple is apparently using Blackberry's QNX for that iPhone connection. Never even entered my mind that they would be involved until I ran across the mention.

"Connectivity to smartphones and other mobile devices is a key strength of QNX Software Systems’ platform for car infotainment systems, and many automakers and tier one automotive suppliers use our platform to implement smartphone/head-unit integration in their vehicles. We have a long-standing partnership with Apple to ensure high-quality connectivity with their devices, and this partnership extends to support for Apple CarPlay.”

1) I figured most would be QNX as that seems to be standard but I didn't think Apple would be working directly with QNX but rather with each automaker. This may be why nearly all of them seem to be able to announce the same setup at the same time. IOW, it's an update to the QNX subsystem that they all can implement like updating Darwin in OS X or iOS without touching the rest of the system.

2) I wonder if VW Group's absence is because they don't use QNX.

3) I'd like to assume this "partnership" doesn't exclude OAA but since we're talking about a partnership to QNX and not to a specific automaker I think it's more likely Apple would be able to get exclusivity for a couple years.
  • Reply 37 of 93
    alfiejr wrote: »
    of course Google will announce its Android knock-off version of CarPlay in a matter of months, if not weeks

or back in December.
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/161391/google-takes-aim-at-apples-ios-in-the-car-with-audi-android-partnership
  • Reply 38 of 93
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) I figured most would be QNX as that seems to be standard but I didn't think Apple would be working directly with QNX but rather with each automaker. This may be why nearly all of them seem to be able to announce the same setup at the same time. IOW, it's an update to the QNX subsystem that they all can implement like updating Darwin in OS X or iOS without touching the rest of the system.

2) I wonder if VW Group's absence is because they don't use QNX.

3) I'd like to assume this "partnership" doesn't exclude OAA but since we're talking about a partnership to QNX and not to a specific automaker I think it's more likely Apple would be able to get exclusivity for a couple years.

Google is also a QNX partner and licensee.
    http://www.qnx.com/partners/partner.html?partnerid=161707

EDIT: I didn't know that QNX began with Harmon. BB scooped em up three years ago. Huh. Makes sense then that QNX would end up being a psuedo-standard in automotive.
  • Reply 39 of 93
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Google's was already announced, and I think Audis with it are expected to ship in 2014

believe it when i see it.

• Reply 40 of 93
    I find this video incredibly annoying and difficult to watch.