Logitech unveils Apple TV-compatible Harmony Smart Keyboard for the living room

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2014
Logitech on Tuesday took the wraps off of the latest addition to its Harmony intelligent remote control lineup: a Bluetooth-enabled keyboard with integrated touchpad, compatible with a plethora of living room devices, including the Apple TV.

Harmony Keyboard

Morges, Switzerland-based Logitech says the keyboard is designed as a way to speed up text entry and navigation on set-top devices, though the peripheral also features dedicated buttons for media controls like play and pause. Consumers who connect a Mac to their television can also make use of the integrated touchpad in lieu of a separate mouse or Magic Trackpad.

"Internet-connected and streaming-media devices seem to deliver limitless entertainment options, however their accompanying remotes struggle to keep up with the text entry needed to search for selections," Logitech marketing executive Chad Thompson said in a release. "Our goal with the Logitech Harmony Smart Keyboard is to unite Logitech's expertise in both universal remotes and keyboards to provide a fast and simple way to search for and navigate through the vast content options available through the living room's entertainment devices."

Harmony Keyboard

According to Logitech, the Harmony Smart Keyboard will work with more than 225,000 home-entertainment devices from over 5,000 brands. That includes game consoles like Microsoft's Xbox and Sony's PlayStation, for which the keyboard includes special navigation buttons.

The keyboard comes packaged with a radio frequency and infrared extender so that devices can be reached even when they are behind closed cabinet doors. Users can also control devices and setup the keyboard through Logitech's Harmony app for iOS.

The $149.99 Harmony Smart Keyboard is available now for preorder from Logitech's website, and the company expects to start shipping later this month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member

Yeah, it is for smart TVs and set-top boxes... Ignore the Windows key while you are looking at it.

• Reply 2 of 31
    Most folks that have an Apple TV will use the Remote App on their iPad or iPhone. Why spend a bunch of extra money?
  • Reply 3 of 31
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMarc43 View Post

Most folks that have an Apple TV will use the Remote App on their iPad or iPhone. Why spend a bunch of extra money?

This. The entire idea of a 'couch keyboard' is mind-blowingly idiotic. That is what the iPhone/iPad is for.

• Reply 4 of 31
    OMG it costs more than the AppleTV... And I want one.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    bunlobunlo Posts: 28member
    So, is this a phablet size remote, or mini keyboard?

Backlit?
  • Reply 6 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bunlo View Post

So, is this a phablet size remote, or mini keyboard?

Backlit?

Judging by the size of the iPhone, I’d say it’s standard Bluetooth keyboard sized, plus pointless trackpad.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    This is fugly and precisely the kind of junk I want to keep out of my house. Why add to the clutter? My iPhone/iPad work great as remote keyboards for Apple TV. My Macbook Airs function perfectly as remote keyboards if I'm sharing my screen to my TV via Apple Airplay.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    siyatasiyata Posts: 5member

What's with the Windows Logo?

• Reply 9 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's too big.

Someone needs to get on kickstarter and make the Bluetooth love-child of this and the Apple Remote:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/fzNteNi.jpg[/IMG]
  • Reply 10 of 31
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    siyata wrote: »

I would guess they plan to market it to Windows users too for desktop use and media center.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

Exactly!
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siyata View Post

I would guess they plan to market it to Windows users too for desktop use and media center.

Yeah, the site says it is Command on Mac and Menu on PS3, etc. In other words, they are catering to the Windows crowd and trying to expand their total addressable market by including AppleTV even though no self respecting AppleTV user would do this. ;)

• Reply 13 of 31
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This will probably be unnecessary when the next iteration of AppleTV comes out, but they have a small window available to exploit the consumer need.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    krreagankrreagan Posts: 218member
    $150 BUCKS!?!?!? I think NOT!
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkyMarc43 View Post

This. The entire idea of a 'couch keyboard' is mind-blowingly idiotic. That is what the iPhone/iPad is for.

If you are going to get a BT keyboard for your AppleTV, I can recommend one for less than half the price of this logitech turd. It is $69 and looks great with your other Apple products. ;)

• Reply 16 of 31

The iPhone/iPad Remote apps don't control my TV, Roku, DVD player, AV Receiver, or any of my other hardware.  The beauty of the Harmony series of remotes is that they control virtually everything and are easy to pre-program with specific sequences (to make sure each set of hardware is not only on, but on the correct input setting, etc).  

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not advocating for this piece of hardware (which I'll never own), but to imply that an iPad/iPhone can do everything a Harmony remote can (without additional hardware) is just incorrect.

• Reply 17 of 31
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    Why so huge for sofaware? It needs to be a third of the size for that purpose and a third of the price. What a useless piece of cr....
  • Reply 18 of 31
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    I wish Apple would make a BT version if their keyboard with built in trackpad.
  • Reply 19 of 31
  • Reply 20 of 31
    kellya74ukellya74u Posts: 171member

Regardless of price, I hope they keep updating the software for this in the future. I was gifted a Harmony 510 TV remote & it was totally configurable via usb with the Logitech software on my Mac Pro. However, the software stopped working & won't even launch. Extensive research & chat with Logitech customer service indicates the software requires Java 6 to run, & will not work with Java 7. Their solution, I should also install Java 6 so I can run this (one) program. I asked if they were going to upgrade their software to run Java 7 & Mavericks, & was thanked for my input.......

Hope they do better for the customers who purchase this above new product.