Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu to meet Apple's Cook as part of Silicon Valley tour

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2014
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is scheduled to meet with Apple CEO Tim Cook and other top tech executives on a tour of Silicon Valley, which is part of a larger initiative to cultivate a partnership with California over economic and research development.

Netanyahu
California Gov. Jerry Brown (left) meets with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. | Source: AFP/Getty Images via SFGate

The meeting is slated to take place on Wednesday and comes after Netanyahu signed an agreement with California Gov. Jerry Brown to stoke development of joint projects covering tech, cybersecurity and the environment, reports SFGate.

As for the meet-up with Cook, topics up for discussion are unknown, though Apple has major investments in Israel, including an active research and development center.

During the company's quarterly conference call for the first quarter of 2012, Apple announced it had acquired flash memory technology firm Anobit. The buy, which is thought to be the first under Cook's tenure, has morphed into SoC development and has generated a number of patents relating to flash memory systems and structures.

Apple currently has three R&D facilities operating in Israel, including a development center in the Ra'anana Industrial zone staffed by former Texas Instruments engineers.

Most recently, Apple widened its reach in the region with the purchase of PrimeSense, which creates sensors, specialized chips and middle-ware for motion sensing and 3D scanning applications. PrimeSense is perhaps most well-known for its infrared motion tracking tech used in the development of Microsoft's original Kinect sensor.

According to the San Jose Mercury News, the prime minister also has plans to sit down with the founders of WhatsApp, the popular messaging company recently purchased by Facebook for a massive $16 billion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    What I wouldn't give to have a man like Bibi as President of the United States right now. Putin would be shaking in his boots if he had to face an America with a real leader in Netanyahu rather than laughing in Barack Obama's face as he does now.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So the same guy that the media would have us believe told so-called "climate change deniers" to get out of the stock is meeting with the very right of center Netanyahu? How will the media (both left and right) spin this? People on the left hate Netanyahu and people on the right falsely think Cook hates anyone who doesn't agree with him politically.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member

Apple has huge investment capital in Israel.  These politician types know on which side their bread is buttered.  So do the suits!

• Reply 4 of 36
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Netanyahu is the Israeli version of George W. Bush. 

• Reply 5 of 36
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

What I wouldn't give to have a man like Bibi as President of the United States right now. Putin would be shaking in his boots if he had to face an America with a real leader in Netanyahu rather than laughing in Barack Obama's face as he does now.

Don't sweat it. No one in the US outside of an extreme right-wing agenda respects the man. Even in his own country he is loathed.

• Reply 6 of 36
    gfdsagfdsa Posts: 22member
    macvicta wrote: »

Can you please explain the connection between Putin, Obama and Netanyahu? Except for the Nobel peace prize, of course, except Netanyahu still does not fit in unless we start talking about the fate of jews in ww2.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    emesemes Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gfdsa View Post

unless we start talking about the fate of jews in ww2.

Oh dear. Let's please not get into that. Political discussions on AI are bad enough without bringing the Holocaust into things

• Reply 8 of 36
    gfdsagfdsa Posts: 22member
    emes wrote: »
    Political discussions on AI are bad enough
    My point exactly.
  • Reply 9 of 36

Tim Cook will meet with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to discuss buying Israel. Netanyahu will be holding out for Cook to let him throw in several hundred thousand Palestinians in with the deal.

• Reply 10 of 36
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    macvicta wrote: »

Whatever you have lying around the house, take two of them and see how you feel in the morning. Better, I hope.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Not to bright a statement from you!

• Reply 12 of 36

This man should be in the dock for war crimes, not being feted by Tim Cook et al.

Shame on you Apple, shame on you.

• Reply 13 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by jackthemac View Post

This man should be in the dock for war crimes, not being feted by Tim Cook et al.

It’s not like Apple has operations in Israel or anything.

• Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It’s not like Apple has operations in Israel or anything.

You forgot the /s tag

• Reply 15 of 36
    jackthemac wrote: »

Shame on you Apple, shame on you.
    What war crimes should he be tried for? Blowing up civilian busses? Shooting up schools? Breaking into a house and slaughtering an entire family in their sleep?
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ben9753 View Post

What war crimes should he be tried for? Blowing up civilian busses? Shooting up schools? Breaking into a house and slaughtering an entire family in their sleep?

Yes, the Israelis do all that and far, far worse. Mostly in the settlements they built illegally on land stolen from the Palestinians. They also shoot dead unarmed children for throwing stones and steal water supplies from the Palestinians, as well as making their life hell by forcing apartheid on them. See www www.palestinecampaign.org for more.

• Reply 17 of 36
    From a purely business perspective, I know several companies that have had business dealings with Israeli companies and it never ended well for them (the American companies), including mine. So based on experience, I don't get all the hype. California has already given millions to Israeli companies to do business in California, only to have them outsource all their materials from overseas. Go figure. I want to know what Israel is going to do for America.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member

I had no idea Cook was supposed to meet racist supremacists and war criminals like Bibi "the car salesman" Netanyahu - terrible news, to say the least. 

• Reply 19 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jackthemac View Post

Yes, the Israelis do all that and far, far worse. Mostly in the settlements they built illegally on land stolen from the Palestinians. They also shoot dead unarmed children for throwing stones and steal water supplies from the Palestinians, as well as making their life hell by forcing apartheid on them. See www www.palestinecampaign.org for more.

And what land have they allegedly "stolen"?

• Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Emes View Post

And what land have they allegedly "stolen"?

Please read some unbiased history (e.g. Jews for Justice for Palestinians http://jfjfp.com). The land I refer to is Palestinian land agreed by international accord. This has been systematically stolen by settlements which are completely illegal under international law. Most recently the Apartheid Barrier the Israelis built stole huge swathes of Palestinian land. Israel has ignored numerous UN resolutions on this subject.

Israel is attempting to Bantustan Palestine, to split it into small meaningless powerless states. It already makes life hell for Palestinians with innumerable, pointless checkpoints. Effectively, it’s trying to ethically cleanse Palestine. The more you find out, the more you realise how profoundly evil Israel’s actions have been. Check out www.ifamericansknew.org/history/maps.html for clear maps.