Apple to enable pixel-doubled 'Retina' mode for 4K monitors in OS X 10.9.3

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

What about closing the lid on the laptop so that the external monitor is the only screen?

This is on a classic Mac Pro /w Radeon 7950

• Reply 42 of 54
    nquerynquery Posts: 10member

That's an important difference and likely explains why you aren't getting the monitor to run at 60Hz vs other reports.

The AMD driver development and MST support might not be the same as the Nvidia driver development, though you would think it would be at least as far along given that the nMP's had some 4k monitor support (Sharp, Asus) in their AMD drivers. It's also likely that they are focussing effort on driver support for the video cards/chipsets that ship with the recent nMPs and rMBPs.

• Reply 43 of 54

I also have a Hackintosh equipped with an nVidia GTX 660 running 10.9.3 Beta 1. No luck getting 60Hz with UP 2414Q. The Dell Monitor seems to implement a rather specific method of MST, which is not yet supported in OSX drivers - be it nVidia or AMD Radeon.

• Reply 44 of 54
    4k display is a common thing today.But I know a 4k multi-touch display is really something:http://tabler.tv/
  • Reply 45 of 54

Can you try the 10.9.3 beta2 that came out today? I see one other report of a user now getting flicker free 60hz MST support on a Dell UP2414Q after the update. Looks hopeful.

• Reply 46 of 54
    Quote:

Dell has 3 4K monitors, a 24", a 28" and a 32". Only the 28" is a cheap TN panel, both the 24 and 32 are IPSAnd only the 32" is horrendously expensive,  the 24" (UP2414Q) is only US$1,149. And it has "PremierColor" = 99% AbodeRGB and 100% sRGB. This is the sweet spot IMHO, because it crams 4K resolution in to 24" which is more Retina-like than e.g. having it on a 32" monitor.

With users reporting flicker-free smooth motion @ 60Hz with today's 10.9.3 beta 2 release (see http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/294886-60hz-4k-on-mavericks-with-gtx-760-update-1093-works/) I quickly pulled the trigger on the UP2414Q as new egg currently has it at $1099 - 10% promo code until sunday = $990 all in with no tax, and currently in stock. Great deal.

• Reply 47 of 54
    lejeanlejean Posts: 7member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nquery View Post

Can you try the 10.9.3 beta2 that came out today? I see one other report of a user now getting flicker free 60hz MST support on a Dell UP2414Q after the update. Looks hopeful.

UP2414Q still unsupported.

No changes, still stuck at 30Hz on classic Mac Pro /w Radeon 7950 on 10.9.3 Beta 2 (13D17)

Will try Hackintosh build with GTX 660 next

What kind of Macintosh Computer is the other report about, you are referring?

• Reply 48 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lejean View Post

UP2414Q still unsupported.

No changes, still stuck at 30Hz on classic Mac Pro /w Radeon 7950 on 10.9.3 Beta 2 (13D17)

Will try Hackintosh build with GTX 660 next

What kind of Macintosh Computer is the other report about, you are referring?

It's actually in the insanelymac thread I referenced above that I just realized you were a part of. The OP of the thread, Ricky, is now reporting complete success with 10.9.3 beta2. I am guessing it's your 7950 card. 

• Reply 49 of 54
    lejeanlejean Posts: 7member
    Quote:

It's actually in the insanelymac thread I referenced above that I just realized you were a part of. The OP of the thread, Ricky, is now reporting complete success with 10.9.3 beta2. I am guessing it's your 7950 card. 

That's great news. I was thinking about sending back the display. Now with nVidia drivers 60Hz should be fine. Can't wait to test the update on my Hackintosh machine (GTX 660)

• Reply 50 of 54
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

With users reporting flicker-free smooth motion @ 60Hz with today's 10.9.3 beta 2 release (see http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/294886-60hz-4k-on-mavericks-with-gtx-760-update-1093-works/) I quickly pulled the trigger on the UP2414Q as new egg currently has it at $1099 - 10% promo code until sunday = $990 all in with no tax, and currently in stock. Great deal.

Thanks for the link and congrats on the new monitor, that is a great deal.

• Reply 51 of 54

Update - 2014/03/16

I have been testing different setups in the last couple of days. Unfortunately I could not get 60Hz to work on the Dell UP2414Q 4K Display.

My current system is:

Dell UP 2414Q, Display Port 1.2 (MST) enabled in OSD

GA-Z87MX-D3H (F6 Bios)

Intel 4670K

Corsair 16GB 1600MHz

Crucial m4 SSD

I checked for available resolutions using Display Menu

OS X 10.9.3 Beta Build 13D12

Gigabyte - GTX 660

3.840 × 2.160 @ 30Hz , Retina Scaling available, Sometimes Black Screens during POST and after chameleon boot

3.840 × 2.160 @ 30Hz, Retina Scaling available, Sometimes Black Screens during POST and after chameleon boot

3.840 × 2.160 @ 30Hz, Retina Scaling available

OS X 10.9.3 Beta Build 13D17

Gigabyte - GTX 660

Won't load UI

Won't load UI

Won't load UI

Problems with 13D17 seem to be related to changes in Apples integrated drivers and power handling for PCIe. There is a discussion about it going on over here at netkas forum

While I am having nothing but trouble with that 4K display, there seems to be one user running 60Hz just fine on his Dell 2414Q with that exact same GTX 760 Graphics card on an X79 Platform main board (Asus P9X79 WS)
  • Reply 52 of 54
    Quote:

Thanks for the link and congrats on the new monitor, that is a great deal.

Dell UP2414Q monitor arrived today. Plugged it into my late 2013 15" rMBP and got nothing. Fiddled around with it in all sorts of ways and I could tell it was detecting the monitor and eventually I was able to "gather" the Display windows on the rMBP and see the Dell UP2414Q control window. But no picture on the Dell itself. It recognized power from the rMBP but always thought it was in sleep mode. Tried a different cable too. Switched to HDMI and it worked immediately, but at 30Hz as we all know of course.

I figured it might have something to do with the rMBP trying to send out 4k 60Hz signals even though the monitor comes default with DP 1.2 (=MST) turned off, or issues with 10.9.3 beta. The real frustration was that the monitor only allows to change the display port settings when it has an active DP connection! Total chicken and egg. So I plugged it into my wife's 2011 MBA (on 10.9.2) using the display port and it immediately came on! But at 30Hz because the MBA doesn't support 4k @ 60hz. This indicates that the 10.9.3 beta has some regressions in it that are causing startup issues on DP @ 30hz or something. They'll need to solve this of course as most of these monitors come with MST turned off.

[EDIT: After reading the Manual completely, there is a specific way to turn on DP 1.2 without an active picture, but it's buried. So 10.9.3 beta is possibly *requiring* DP 1.2 MST otherwise you get nothing ]

At this point I could switch the monitor to Display Port 1.2 and then when I plugged it back into my 15" rMBP it came up in 4k @ 60hz! It looks great but there are definitely a couple of driver issues - one minor one was that I got different gamma levels (PC vs Mac) on the left and right halves of the screen until I flipped the gamma setting on the monitor. The other true remaining issue is that the screen "tears" and leaves video artifacts if you drag windows around really quickly. This was also reported by KhaosT on twitter with the same config. This seems to happen more frequently with higher scaling levels - obviously an OS/driver issue that I am sure (hopeful) will be resolved.

The monitor is very well made, has tons of calibration, and even a factory calibration report specific to my monitor included in the box. The anti-glare coating is pretty substantial. 4k video samples look amazing of course.

I haven't quite decided if I will go with the 1920x1080 HiDPI scale, or the 2560x1440 scale. They are both very useable. It's interesting that the display control panel goes from "Largest" to "native" scaling choices and the middle scale of the 5 is actually 2560x1440. The middle scale doesn't say "Best (Retina)" like the rMBP does (which also uses "Smallest" instead of "Native" at the high end of the scale). I would have assumed that 1920x1080 would be the "best" because it's an exact 2x scale and doesn't require the extra step of scaling back down to 3840x2160 after rendering at 2x (unlike 2560x1440 which is rendered at 5120x2880 and *then* scaled down to 3840x2160). But 1920x1080 is the 2nd of 5 scales and the middle one is actually 2560x1440.

My guess is that Apple is going to position 2560x1440 as the "normal" mode which will allow them to sell a new Thunderbolt Display with the same screen size and effective PPI as the current display. Using 2x scale of 1920x1080 presents a problem to them as it would reduce effective PPI.

• Reply 53 of 54
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

I haven't quite decided if I will go with the 1920x1080 HiDPI scale, or the 2560x1440 scale. They are both very useable. It's interesting that the display control panel goes from "Largest" to "native" scaling choices and the middle scale of the 5 is actually 2560x1440. The middle scale doesn't say "Best (Retina)" like the rMBP does (which also uses "Smallest" instead of "Native" at the high end of the scale). I would have assumed that 1920x1080 would be the "best" because it's an exact 2x scale and doesn't require the extra step of scaling back down to 3840x2160 after rendering at 2x (unlike 2560x1440 which is rendered at 5120x2880 and *then* scaled down to 3840x2160). But 1920x1080 is the 2nd of 5 scales and the middle one is actually 2560x1440.

Thanks for the detailed review. I am thinking of getting one and nothing beats hearing about firsthand experience.

• Reply 54 of 54
    Quote:

Thanks for the detailed review. I am thinking of getting one and nothing beats hearing about firsthand experience.

1 day later and things have been running very smoothly. No sleep/wake issues. In fact, I am not sure what I did, but the issue with screen tears and display artifacts has disappeared in the past couple of hours. I have been playing with the display control panel a lot but don't know what specifically fixed it and when. All I know is that the monitor is functioning 100% perfectly in 1920 x 1080 Retina mode (4k @ 60hz of course)! I will try and replicate whatever I did that has resolved this particular issue.

[EDIT: found it - if you go into display/arrangement and drag the menu bar such that the Dell is the primary monitor then the issue goes away. It only occurs when the macbook pro lcd is the primary screen and the dell secondary]

The monitor itself is absolutely gorgeous with no dead/stuck pixels that I have seen and just an amazing image. Text is so crisp at this resolution. It looks the same as the 15" rMBP screen except that it has more of a semi-gloss/matte coating if that's important to you. Very very happy at the moment.