Apple job listings suggest cameras coming to Apple TV, hinting at motion controls

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

All I personally want for Apple TV is a better and Bluetooth standard bundled Apple remote. 

Its called an iPhone. You probably have one. There is no reason for Apple to make a better remote than what ships right now.

-------

And, is there a reason why we allow people to embed auto-playing YouTube videos on a forum? I was not happy to see what when I came here.

• Reply 42 of 55
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    Does an integrated TV make sense? Upgrade cycles on TVs are prob avg 10 yrs. I'd much rather have a dumb screen with external smarts (i.e. AppleTV) that I can upgrade often.

And the play for apple here is to expand and control the their iOS/Content ecosystem rather than capture a very small portion of the new TV market.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

…auto-playing…

This has always made me furious about YouTube. No one on Earth wants this. 

I’m so happy that forcing YouTube to play in QuickTime with Click2Flash lets me just preload the video (AND THE ENTIRE VIDEO. NOT JUST 30 SECONDS IN THE FUTURE, NOT FORCIBLY RELOADING EVERYTHING ANY TIME I TRY TO SCRUB THROUGH, THE ENTIRE VIDEO AT ONCE) and go do something else.

But YouTube embedded here shows up as white space for me. Thanks, Google Disconnect!

• Reply 44 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of course they can! It’s why they haven’t put a TV tuner in the Apple TV yet, and it’s why they never will. They literally DO control the content.

Hmm. Wait, Netflix produces its own shows? I’d at least like Apple to contract individually with each channel. None of this “you MUST have all of our package channels” nonsense.

I think a tuner is exactly what they need. For one reason, the tuners that are currently available in most digital televisions suck to one degree or another, look at all the people who are not able to get CBS via over the air reception in the Chicago Metropolitan Area, and there wouldn't be any licensing fees for receiving over the air broadcasts which could be captured and saved for personal use. Then other providers would be falling all over themselves to get their digital content on Apple TV. 

• Reply 45 of 55
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Hmm. Wait, Netflix produces its own shows? I’d at least like Apple to contract individually with each channel. None of this “you MUST have all of our package channels” nonsense.

Netflix has a few shows it produces, the best being House of Cards (remake of old English show, Robin Wright is aging quite nicely), Orange is the new Black, and Lillehammer (mobster snitch chooses Norway as his witness protection locale).
  • Reply 46 of 55
    jcm722jcm722 Posts: 40member

Remove the auto-start videos!

• Reply 47 of 55
    Please give us a web browser!
  • Reply 48 of 55
    Originally Posted by WisdomSeed View Post

I think a tuner is exactly what they need.

What you don’t understand is that Apple couldn’t care less about existing systems. They aren’t going to deal with cable or satellite providers. They’re going to reinvent television.

• Reply 49 of 55
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Just make a nice remote App for my phone to navigate ATV - that's all I need.

You mean like the -> Apple Remote app?

• Reply 50 of 55
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What you don’t understand is that Apple couldn’t care less about existing systems. They aren’t going to deal with cable or satellite providers. They’re going to reinvent television.

Just like how they reinvented the phone without dealing with any of those carriers!

• Reply 51 of 55
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Just like how they reinvented the phone without dealing with any of those carriers!

I’m certain that creating a network of telephony from scratch is in any way the same situation as contracting individually with established content creators¡ :no:

• Reply 52 of 55

And I'm certain that you have absolutely no genuine information or clue about how Apple will "reinvent the television" or the content distribution model they'll choose.  Since you've previously said that Apple should set up their own MVNO I'd say that there is something of a similarity in situation, but Apple didn't do that, did they?

So enough with the "what you don't understand" douchery already.

• Reply 53 of 55
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

And I'm certain that you have absolutely no genuine information or clue about how Apple will "reinvent the television" or the content distribution model they'll choose.

Of course not. Your point is what? That you do?

Since you’ve previously said that Apple should set up their own MVNO…

Would’ve given them the control they desired, is all.

I’d say that there is something of a similarity in situation…

There isn’t, again, but you’d know that if you had read the post before replying.

• Reply 54 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of course not. Your point is what? That you do?

Would’ve given them the control they desired, is all.

There isn’t, again, but you’d know that if you had read the post before replying.

I don't know the first thing about what Apple are going to do with television and I don't claim to.  I have opinions on the matter, but I don't throw them in people's faces like a jerk.

To set up a MVNO Apple would be going it alone, so yes, they'd have a lot of control, in an industry in which they had practically zero expertise or experience and would be undertaking an immense technical task.  They didn't, they chose to work with the existing carriers who provided the clout and ready-made, reliable infrastructure in the industry that Apple needed to get big quickly. 

To participate in the television market, Apple could ink distribution deals with every content producer, an immense contractual task, in an area where Apple may not have a lot of expertise or experience (a la carte iTunes off of shows produced on someone else's dime is one thing).  They may not, they may choose to work with existing cable companies to provide some clout and ready-made, reliable content production churn and simpler contracts that Apple may need to get big quickly.

Not cut and dried until Apple announce something.  "Apple couldn't care less about existing systems" unless they can leverage them to their own advantage.

• Reply 55 of 55
    This ONLY makes sense. I can't wait!