United Airlines to launch free inflight video streaming service for iOS devices, laptops

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    Wow, well that will only create a smogstorm of RF radiation in a moving Faraday cage.

Get ready to get off that plane feeling even groggier and dryer and more inflamed then ever. Lets just all sit in a microwave together and see how we feel after a few hours.

Making flying more and more unhealthy every day...
  • Reply 22 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Wow, well that will only create a smogstorm of RF radiation in a moving Faraday cage.

Get ready to get off that play feeling even groggier and dryer and more inflamed then ever. Lets just all sit in a microwave together and see how we feel after a few hours.

Bah!
  • Reply 23 of 36
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

I always travel with one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/20000mAh-Multi-Voltage-Portable-External-Camcorders/dp/B005NGLTZQ/

About the size and weight of a normal external hard drive.  It will charge an iPhone 5S about 10 times.  It will even charge an iPad.  That's a longer runtime than I ever want to spend on an airplane.

• Reply 24 of 36
    Even if the planes are equipped with Wifi AC, there aren't any current gen iOS devices that have it (presumably 2014 models will) so there is no way in hell that using Wifi N are they going to be able to stream content to a plane full of people. Their expectations must be that use of the service will be very low on a per passenger/plane ratio. But I'm guessing either craptacular video quality or a ton of buffering until AC is mainstream for mobile devices - at which point one would also presume that interest in using the in flight streaming service would increase and challenge the system once again.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

That's possible, but only if United strips out all the seat-back entertainment systems and revert to a cabin-based projection system for those flyers without a portable device (or who choose not to use one), at least for the economy cabin. They could also offer rental iPads for people who want the streaming content selection which might be free of charge in first and business class.

It would be an AC plug, not USB. You can't power notebook computers off of USB.

Virgin America has had AC plugs between each pair of seats from the beginning.

There is no way airlines are going back to projectors and cabin screens.  iPad rental is much more likely.

Some airlines offer AC power, some offer USB power, some offer both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetseater View Post

Get ready to get off that play feeling even groggier and dryer and more inflamed then ever. Lets just all sit in a microwave together and see how we feel after a few hours.

Nonsense.  A faraday absorbs RF.  It does not reflect it.

• Reply 26 of 36
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

There is no way airlines are going back to projectors and cabin screens.  iPad rental is much more likely.

I think iPad rental is likely, although I'm not sure about the lack of some sort of cabin-wide projection system whether it be a drop-down screen or individual units.

The reason for this would be some sort of mandatory safety video communication/demonstration by the FAA and other air agencies throughout the world. Not sure if relying on passenger-owned equipment (tablets, smartphones, etc.) would be acceptable to the FAA at this point.

What if you don't have an iPad and neither does your neighbor? What if I have an iPad, but I don't care to install the airline app (maybe I have my own content) or if the device is in airplane mode?

• Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:

I think iPad rental is likely, although I'm not sure about the lack of some sort of cabin-wide projection system whether it be a drop-down screen or individual units.

The reason for this would be some sort of mandatory safety video communication/demonstration by the FAA and other air agencies throughout the world. Not sure if relying on passenger-owned equipment (tablets, smartphones, etc.) would be acceptable to the FAA at this point.

The safety demonstration is mandatory, however, it does not have to include a video presentation.  Many airlines still do their safety demonstrations without a video.  Many airlines have no video entertainment system onboard.

• Reply 28 of 36

I see.

Well, then perhaps the demise of the seat-back and cabin-based video entertainment systems is coming sooner rather than later, at least for some aircraft and some cabin classes.

Are these sort of cabin upgrades typically performed in sync with new seats? If I recall correctly, airlines often keep their seats for many years.

• Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:

Are these sort of cabin upgrades typically performed in sync with new seats? If I recall correctly, airlines often keep their seats for many years.

Yes.  Airline seats typically last about four to six years, then the whole cabin gets torn out and replaced.  Seat cushions are replaced as needed.

• Reply 30 of 36

Well, then this makes good sense.

Remove a lot of the weight and maintenance issues that come with seat-back entertainment systems. If the airline has rental iPad units and one is busted, they can simply exchange it for another one. Not the case with a malfunctioning seat-back system.

I believe some airlines offer rental iPads to their premium cabin passengers already; I know that previously iPods and MiniDisc players with preloaded content had been loaned to passengers of some flights (again typically premium cabin).

The actual United announcement does not mention any plans to offer rental/loaner units initially though.

• Reply 31 of 36
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

iOS users are actually competent to use the app store to install stuff, whereas droid users apparently can't even figure out how to install a plug-in?  Or are so afraid of malware that they won't?

Uh, the browser plugin refers to laptops. Like computers running OS X.

• Reply 32 of 36
    artdentartdent Posts: 69member

United has actually had this on some of their planes since the first of the year but they aren't doing much promotion of it yet. I've tried to use it on three flights and it hasn't worked well on any of them. After one flight where passengers could call up the list of movies but couldn't get them to play, the Captain apologized over the intercom. He said United is aware of the problems and still trying to work out the bugs. They don't seem to consider this a beta, however, since we all got 10,000 bonus miles for our "inconvenience."

Regardless of bugs, I already have an iPad loaded with my own books, magazines, movies, TV shows etc. so I don't think I'll be viewing much of this streaming content from United.

• Reply 33 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Nonsense.  A faraday absorbs RF.  It does not reflect it.

Clearly you don't know what a faraday cage is. They don't absorb, they partially block and partially reflect. And that would be great if the source of the RF was outside the cage and the humans were inside it, but in airplanes that is not the case so instead we get to swim in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

• Reply 34 of 36
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetseater View Post

You realize that at altitude you're exposed to around 5x the radiation from cosmic rays you'd get otherwise? It's about 1/2 a chest x-ray worth per transcontinental flight. During a solar flare at high latitudes, this can increase to 20-60 x-ray equivalents per hour.

• Reply 35 of 36
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

And have you made it through TSA screening wearing your tinfoil hat? Inquiring minds want to know.image

The more awkward question may have been why his phone required a prophylactic.

• Reply 36 of 36

Hello Every One

I am Mrs Cailtin Poore from the United States Of America. I want to share a testimony  and i will always give thanks to Dr Abu who brought back my divorced husband that has left me for 4years within 72hours, i promised to always tell people about this great miracle that happen in my life,we where 2 year ago,since we got married,i have not been able to give him a child,although he try to bear with me but it came to a time his parents where so hot him,that he should get another wife because his mother needed a grand son from him,so because of all this,he left me. I have been looking for how to get pregnant and how to get my divorce husband back to my life because i love him with the whole of my heart,i could not replace him with any other man,one day i was watching my television when i saw a lady giving thanks to Dr Abu and telling the world how he helped her, i was so shocked i could not believe it because i never taught that there are powers that can bring back lost marriage,then i decided to contact him too because i do really need my divorce husband back,when i contacted him i told him everything and he told me not to worry that my divorce husband will surely come back to me, within 72hours, at first i could not believe because i was thinking how could somebody that has gone for 4years come back within 72 hours, then i decided to watch and see,after all the necessary thing have been done,to my greatest surprise within the next 72hours i got a call from an unknown number ,so i pick the call the next thing i could hear was my husbands voice he was pleading and begging me on the phone that i should forgive him, that i should forget all that have happened that he did not know what came over him,he promised not to leave for any reason,that he was really sorry for what he did,i was so surprised because i never believed that this could happen,so that was how i accepted his apology and the next morning he came back home to meet me and still pleading for me to forgive him i told him that everything is okay that i have forgiven him,that was how we started again and he has Change and 6months later i became pregnant,we where bless with a baby boy and live happily. I promised to say this testimony in radio station,commenting this testimony that am now a mother, i promise to say this in radio station and i will sir, thank you very much.World please am begging you people to try and help me thank this man for me,or if you need his help here is his email address [email protected] or you can also reach him through his mobile number,+234 903 800 7421*

Mrs Cailtin Poore