Amazon increases Prime membership fee to $99 per year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Even at the new price it is only about .25 more a month than Netflix. I dropped Netflix and use Amazon for streaming. I can easily get my .25 back with a few freight free shipments. I think it would be very difficult to compare selection between the two and come to any conclusions as to who is a better choice. The good thing about Netflix is I can buy it for one month and watch the new season of House of Cards and then cancel.
  • Reply 22 of 81
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

How does Amazon Prime's pricing affect me as an Apple consumer exactly?

This is your world.

This is your world on monopoly.

Thanks, DoJ.

• Reply 23 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

I agree with Nofeer.  I am most likely cancelling my Prime membership over this.  I do not use the Prime streaming or eBook functions, which are likely the biggest reasons for this increase.  If Amazon were to break this up into a Prime shipping for $79 and Prime Streaming for $20, then I would gladly subscribe to Prime Shipping and they could keep getting my $79 a year.  As it is they are likely going to lose my $79 a year, rather than get an extra $20 from me.

Just cancelled my Prime account effective the last day of my current membership. Then I sent Amazon an email telling them that I was unhappy about the increase and the bundled benefits. Said if they broke it up like I mentioned earlier I would resubscribe, but I won't pay more because of streaming and kindle borrowing that I don't use.

Hopefully a lot more people do the same and Amazon considers splitting them.

• Reply 24 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is your world.

This is your world on monopoly.

Thanks, DoJ.

Amazon doesn't have a monopoly on anything.

• Reply 25 of 81
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Very smart move Amazon- steal a page right out of Apple's and Netflix'playbooks.
  • Reply 26 of 81
    sudonymsudonym Posts: 233member

Amazon is a monopoly.  They sell below cost to try to put everybody out of business except them.

• Reply 27 of 81
    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

:rolleyes:

• Reply 28 of 81
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Perhaps not yet, but why do you think they are willing to go for years with virtually no profit?  Because they are charitable people at heart and they have no plans of gouging their customers once they have killed all their major competitors?  Surely, unlike the DoJ, you are not that naive or gullible.

• Reply 29 of 81
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

Heard the monopoly nonsense in business school, only it was tagged to Walmart.Still waiting for the universal price hikes to hit.

Amazon is a monopoly of what, exactly? Jeff B. is a volume guy and likes low prices. That's just the way he rolls. $99 is still a huge bargain for online shoppers like me. There will be no price hikes because this economy is still sluggish. Everyone can compare value online.

• Reply 30 of 81
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

There will be no price hikes because this economy is still sluggish.

They, uh… just hiked the price. It literally just happened. You’re posting in a thread about it, in fact.

• Reply 31 of 81

Here in Germany the price just went up from €29 to €49 (just under $70) and although the price isn't too bad, the problem is that most of the Lovefilm offerings are in German - which I do speak, but I prefer the original version. Why watch anything made in English in the dubbed version? 

The €29 just for the postage perks was great - but I honestly don't understand the business model of bundling it with a film-rental service (which it is even if only for €20 a year), especially as they offer absolutely no alternative. If they price goes up any higher, then I will probably tell them where to stick it . . .

• Reply 32 of 81
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They, uh… just hiked the price. It literally just happened. You’re posting in a thread about it, in fact.

Well you got me there. I wasn't aware that amazon was a 1-product company.

• Reply 33 of 81
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Well you got me there. I wasn't aware that amazon was a 1-product company.

No, those goalposts stay right where they are, thanks. 

• Reply 34 of 81
    malax wrote: »
    Good suggestion.  Here are some headline possibilities:
    Missing jet may have been downed by faulty iPhone battery.
    Apple's Find iPhone fails to find MH370.
    20 Freescale engineers on doomed flight. (This last one was an actually story)

Very good! But I would modify your second one to:

Apple's Find iPhone fails to find MH370; screen size too small.
  • Reply 35 of 81
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    So how do we contact them
    This is stupid
  • Reply 36 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) Amazon Prime for students/educators has jumped $10 from $39 to $49.

2) If you love Amazon Prime but want to pay less there is a simple solution that can reduce your price by $60 (at least in the US). Sign up for a class at your local community college. I'm not even sure you need to actually pay for an actual class, but why not better yourself anyway? Once you have that email address you can use that to verify your account to not only get a reduction in Amazon Prime pricing but the next 6 months for free, and if you already have Amazon Prime they will prorate you the difference back as cash.

nofeer wrote: »
    HEY AMAZON BREAK IT UP
    I do nt want the other services don't use them why pay for them
    Amazon the new cable company

How do we contact amazon??

And if the pricing would be $99 for Prime delivery, and then $50 for the streaming videos and $30 for the Kindle book rental would you still want it broken up?
  • Reply 37 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Ugh. Someone here just lifting any story off of The Verge's home page now?

Why not start covering all of the top news stories, anything at all... What's happening with that Malaysian plane crash? ????

You have no interest in the story so pass it up.   But instead, you decided to add to your 14,000+ posts in order to complain about it.

• Reply 38 of 81

Year....Amazon Orders

2003    1

2004    1

2005    6

2006    11

2007    2

2008    12

2009    34

2010    28

2011    77

2012    97

2013    138...11 orders per month!
  • Reply 39 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Year....Amazon Orders
    2003    1
    2004    1
    2005    6
    2006    11
    2007    2
    2008    12
    2009    34
    2010    28
    2011    77
    2012    97
    2013    138...11 orders per month!

How can you check?

PS: Just yesterday, on the 25th anniversary of the World Wide Web, I was wondering what my first internet purchase was. I have absolutely no idea.
  • Reply 40 of 81
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Amazon noted that Prime subscriptions have remained unchanged "even as fuel and transportation costs have increased."

I have noted that free shipping remains unchanged "even as fuel and transportation costs have increased."  Oddly enough, I just started an Amazon Prime trial membership about a week ago.  I'll let it lapse after the trial period is over though.  I just don't order enough stuff to make $99/year worth it.  (And I'm never in that much of a hurry to get things anyway.  I can wait a week for whatever Blu-Ray discs I want.)