Apple's iPhone is most-desired smartphone in emerging markets, passing Samsung

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    philboogie wrote: »
    People who can't afford an iPhone want an iPhone! (but are forced to buy a phone walking running Android)

Nobody's forced to do anything. The option not to buy a phone is always there.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    In China, Hong Kong and Korea, people are having hard choices since they love Apple on one hand (even Korean), they want big screen on the other hand
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Or it was their greatest accomplishment.   They basically broke the mold  of carrier-handset support

Today... 

- you get your updates directly from Apple...  my iPhone 4s got iOS7.1... how many carrier managed 2.5 year old android phones got 4.4 delivered to them? 

- The carrier does not control the content or function of the phone at anypoint.

- VM, Email, Text were Apple apps

- Apple sets the price across all carriers.

These were nonexistent in 2006 for carriers AND consumers.

If they tried to build a phone for every carrier, and met every carriers requirement, iPhone would never have succeeded.  Apple read the market right, went to the big US phone companies, got Cingular /ATT to capitulate, Got European buy in,  and then spent 4 years building scarcity demand, proving to carriers that the dial-tone/data-pip was a commodity, and that people want to buy THAT phone, instead of 'whatever phone has the features you can sell me at the highest possible margin.' 

Specific to this article, it made an iPhone 'something I want when the [price, network, contract] barriers are broken down.'   That's key in a consumer driven buy cycle.

All of that said nothing to the question I asked. Not sure why you quoted me.

• Reply 24 of 40
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muadibe View Post

True, with the exception being the tech heads who need to root, flash, side load their phones.

You can also add to that people who don't care about the brands and just look at functionality:cost ratio.  My ex would be a good example.  She walked into a Vodafone store and walked out with a Galaxy S2.  She then replaced it with an HTC One.

She 'could' afford to buy any phone she wanted, as could I, but chose something cheaper that would do all she needs it to be able to do.

• Reply 25 of 40
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Apple takes 7 years to become desirable in emerging markets!

When these people become middle class, they can get an iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 40

@TheOtherGeoff

Very good point and I agree with you on most points, but if Samsung, HTC, etc. could make MULTIPLE devices for multiple carriers then what kept a tech giant like Apple from doing it for one product and OS? My guess is the money they milked out of AT&T for those rights. So there were advances made in the way we use phones, but at the expense of the consumers by not having choices...

• Reply 27 of 40
    jungmark wrote: »
    Apple takes 7 years to become desirable in emerging markets!

When these people become middle class, they can get an iPhone.

That's a dangerous assumption. You're relying on their desire not to wane. There's a big risk of them just buying a high end Android phone since that's the platform they've grown accustomed to, and invested in.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

They might desire it, but can they afford it?  I see Apple as more of a First-World product.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

People who can't afford an iPhone want an iPhone! (but are forced to buy a phone walking running Android)

The desirability of the iPhone in emerging markets drives theft in the United States.

The iPhone is clearly the favorite target of US cellphone thieves because the stolen goods can be easily fenced overseas.

• Reply 29 of 40
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    That's a dangerous assumption. You're relying on their desire not to wane. There's a big risk of them just buying a high end Android phone since that's the platform they've grown accustomed to, and invested in.

No it's not. There may be a little risk but these folks aren't going to invest in the Android ecosystem. Even in the article, it states Apple increased its desirability factor even thing there hasn't been a cheap new iPhone.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Price is what we are talking about.

The 5s / 5c feature comparison doesn't even enter into the equation... until, as you say, the 5c has 100-150 bucks lopped off the retail price.

I really do wonder, though, if the 5c will stick around. At this point Apple has to be pondering the question of whether price alone would move the 5c in the numbers they were hoping to get the first time.
    Yes your right, it must be really troubling Apple to have the second best selling phone in the US market !!!
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slicksim View Post

Yes your right, it must be really troubling Apple to have the second best selling phone in the US market !!!

1. I never used the word troubling, nor did I even come remotely close to saying it is troubling.

2. The 5c is not the second best selling phone in the US.

• Reply 32 of 40
    No it's not. There may be a little risk but these folks aren't going to invest in the Android ecosystem. Even in the article, it states Apple increased its desirability factor even thing there hasn't been a cheap new iPhone.

You don't think that the desirability level was the same in the US pre-2010; before Android devices were available on the carriers that didn't have the iPhone? They went Android because they had no other choice and while many left for the iPhone most have not.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    You don't think that the desirability level was the same in the US pre-2010; before Android devices were available on the carriers that didn't have the iPhone? They went Android because they had no other choice and while many left for the iPhone most have not.

Source? Most of those that wanted/can afford the iPhone, got the iPhone.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Source? Most of those that wanted/can afford the iPhone, got the iPhone.

Yes that's true, but there are people that stopped wanting the iPhone after a while.
  • Reply 35 of 40

agree with you for example I'm a person using the oldest nokia for only calling and massaging and it's not only the thing you can't afford this 

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

agree with you no one is forced. for example I'm a personally using the oldest nokia not only because of the thing I can't afford it there're so many other reasons... so :)

• Reply 36 of 40
    who said this i think the author is not well aware about the market status.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

you do understand that this shows that 68% do not "desire" an iPhone regardless of cost

No, you cannot possibly say that from the data presented.

• Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Indeed. Yesterday, I met a man, a fit looking 50s, in a cafe who didn't have a mobile phone! Good for him. 

• Reply 39 of 40
    stanleywkl wrote: »
    In China, Hong Kong and Korea, people are having hard choices since they love Apple on one hand (even Korean), they want big screen on the other hand

They can't have big screen on "the other hand" because let's face it: they're going to need both hands to use it. ;)
  • Reply 40 of 40

"Same"
    "Many"
    "Most"