iBrowse is real

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    jdbonjdbon Posts: 109member
    An Apple Browser based on gecko would be good for Apple. It provides the speed and standards complicance lacking in IE. Apple could build a beautiful Cocoa interface on top of it and voila!

BTW Open up the PkgInfo file in the Chimera package. "APPLCHIM" hmmm. Interesting
  • Reply 22 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by jdbon:

<strong>"APPLCHIM" hmmm. Interesting</strong><hr></blockquote>Not really interesting at all.

APPL is simply the type code for an application. It's been that way for some fifteen years. Open any app and you'll see the same.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by Producer:

<strong>Why would David Hyatt say that Omniweb has the potential of beating Chimera for speed and that he seemed to prefer a native engine (done right) over gecko if Apple was going to use gecko as their engine for iBrowse?</strong><hr></blockquote>Once OmniWeb 5 is out and clears up the table NSView speed issues, it should indeed by FAR be the fastest browser on OSX. Remember, Chimera/Gecko still have huge chunks of code for cross-platform portability. Oodles of things right down to a simple string variable have been built in custom classes. Redundant code like this that may in the end be slowing things down dramatically and a truly native solution should, at least in theory, be much better.

Also, if I recall correctly, Gecko is not very well threaded to take advantage of SMP whereas OmniWeb always has been. This is why dual-processor users typically see such better performance in OmniWeb than single-processor users. Gecko-based browsers won't see nearly as much an improvement on duals.

[ 11-07-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 24 of 30
    If OmniWeb beats iBrowse, that's fine with me. I quickly dumped iChat in favor of the must nicer, in my opinion, Adium.

But it wouldn't be too difficult for Apple to eliminate redundant code in the Gecko source. Anyway, time will tell, as it always does.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>But it wouldn't be too difficult for Apple to eliminate redundant code in the Gecko source.</strong><hr></blockquote>Surely you jest!

Mozilla ~ 1.5 million lines of code

OmniWeb ~ 300 thousand lines of code

That's a BIG difference! :eek: I doubt it's a very "easy" task to clean up and dump over a million lines of code.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    maybe they should call it cyberdoog 2.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    It is quite interesting the sheer volume of bug reports/activity in the Mozilla project by David Hyatt.

Posting using a work e-mail address indicates that it is part of his work.

If is was a hobby, he would use a personal address. And if it was a hobby, there wouldn't be that many bug reports. People usually would do cool things as a hobby, not worrying about:

Item isn't checked when re-named in menu list

back out XBL

&lt;script&gt; tags in XBL document

Need ability to execute trusted XBL/JS when doc is untrusted

etc.

• Reply 28 of 30
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>If OmniWeb beats iBrowse, that's fine with me. I quickly dumped iChat in favor of the must nicer, in my opinion, Adium.

But it wouldn't be too difficult for Apple to eliminate redundant code in the Gecko source. Anyway, time will tell, as it always does.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I deleted Adium because I couldn't use it; it doesn't support @mac.com screen names.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    "It is quite interesting the sheer volume of bug reports/activity in the Mozilla project by David Hyatt.

Posting using a work e-mail address indicates that it is part of his work."

Format you're going to get David in trouble for goofing off at work
  • Reply 30 of 30
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    How about "Surfer" as a name for this uber Browser from apple?