Palm Zire questions...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Belle:

[QB]Have you started on an all-white kick since getting your new iMac, pscates, or do you still like orange?:

[QB][QUOTE]

Actually, if anything, my love and fascination with orange is even worse these days.

Kinda wish I would've snagged one of those Palm Visor things from a couple of years ago (came in translucent orange and would've been perfect for my needs).

I dig Apple's all-white take on the iStuff. But no, I currently harbor no "ice fetish" or whatever.

And I'm not sure I agree with BradBower's post...I'm not buying a PDA for games, Internet, color screen, etc. I'd be one of those people with legit, honest-to-goodness usage for it, in that I work funky schedules at times, meet with freelance clients a bit, have friends and family in quite far-flung locations (each with e-mail, cel phone, home phone, spouse phone, etc.) and I'm really getting bad about keeping a messy wallet full of scribbled, cryptic Post-Its or whatever.

I'd use the hell of a Zire, I'm quite sure. Especially since it works with the stuff I'm already using on my Mac (address book, iCal, etc.).

It would be a nice, logical "take along" extension of things I'm constantly accessing at home anyway.

In any case, if I tire of it anytime soon, Brad, I'll sell it to you cheap. I'll make you a good deal on it...

• Reply 22 of 37
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>Kinda wish I would've snagged one of those Palm Visor things from a couple of years ago (came in translucent orange and would've been perfect for my needs).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Have a look on eBay. It shouldn't be too hard to find one, and it'll cost even less than the Zire. I loved the padded slip cases that came with the Visors.

[quote]Originally posted by Matvei:

<strong>Where do I need color, wifi, bluetooth, pcmcia slots, 1 gig of ram, keyboard, multimedia for these simple tasks? It adds nothing.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree on most of this, but I could really use the connectivity. I'd like Bluetooth so I could use it with a cell phone to collect e-mail without having to align those damned IrDA ports. And I'd like 802.11b because it's everywhere at work, and there's hardly an inch of Manhattan that doesn't have coverage.

I can sit in Starbucks and do my e-mail, and complain about its corporate barbarism, whilst really enjoying a double latte.

[ 11-23-2002: Message edited by: Belle ]</p>
  • Reply 23 of 37
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I really think you need a small small sub note or an HPC, Belle. And you're right about connectivity of course, USB and bluetooth should be standard, and 802.11 a low cost option on just about any portable digital device.

Isn't Starbucks amazing? The corporate coffehouse, I love it, brilliant!
  • Reply 24 of 37
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    You'd want to write email on such puny screens with graffiti, slow recognition or chicklet keyboard? Huh?

In a pinch, ok. But not frequently.

About the newtworked office with wifi, what would you do? Read CNN? post on AI?

Again... it becomes a slow, cumbersome, internet jr. (tm) experience that I cannot see being really pleasant.

Has anyone actually enjoyed any of the activities that she is describing?

Don't get me started on ebooks...

There is a huge difference between cool geek toy and actual useful device.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    I should add as a disclaimer that, while not a luddite, I am strongly opposed to having a cell-phone, pager, blackberry, hiptop or any device that limits my personnal freedom to not be bothered.

I have an answering machine on my home line, which I do check frequently and I check my emails fairly often. I do not want to be reachable at all times.

never. ever.

If I deem it important, I will call back _at my leasure_.

This is one sacrifice I am not willing to make. No job is worth losing my freedom, in my view.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Matvei,

I actually like using my e740 to input information. Typing gets tedious and it's something that must be done. I prefer to handwrite, but that means I need to retype it later. Having decent HWR on my PPC gives me the ability to handwrite with minimal difficulty. And it's nice not to have to lug my Ti to a coffeeshop if I want to take a break and get some work done at the same time. That and the wifi make it a very nice addition to my digital life. Oh, also, much of what I write is confidential (patient notes), so it's nice not to have to position myself in such a way that no one can see my big bright Ti screen to see my patients' names and a description of their problems. I'm sure they appreciate that too.
  • Reply 27 of 37

<strong>You'd want to write email on such puny screens with graffiti, slow recognition or chicklet keyboard? Huh?

In a pinch, ok. But not frequently.

About the newtworked office with wifi, what would you do? Read CNN? post on AI?

Again... it becomes a slow, cumbersome, internet jr. (tm) experience that I cannot see being really pleasant.

Has anyone actually enjoyed any of the activities that she is describing?

Don't get me started on ebooks...

There is a huge difference between cool geek toy and actual useful device.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I strongly dislike e-books, I don't particularly want to do any surfing, and I most certainly wouldn't want to post to AI.

But in my job - whether I'm at the lab or at home or sitting in Starbucks - I have to refer to a lot of e-mails I've been sent, and a library of around 600,000 text documents that reside on a server.

I admit it's much easier to view both e-mails and documents on a proper display, but it's also a bit of a pain carrying a 51b laptop, especially around the laboratory building.

I'm most certainly not looking for a cool geek toy. (Otherwise I'd want the camera/color display/toaster.) I'm just looking at smaller, lighter alternatives to either my iBook or ThinkPad when it comes to carrying a device around.

Just because we're looking to get different things from a palmtop doesn't mean that either of us is right or wrong, friend.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Of course, diffrent uses for different folks. I get that. In fact that was the gist of my point in supporting the Zire in this thread.

But it must be sooo slow to peruse these files on that tiny screen, no? I don't know, i'd prefer luggin' the ibook...

As for the torifile post. Well, I understand wanting to keep the screen confidential, but aren't you scared of losing the pda with the info on it?

If you can lock the files, maybe you didn't have the time or the chance to lock it before an evil bugger swipes it from you. I'd be scared of that!

And they do sell these contraptions that you can install over your laptop screen (much like the hood on the lacie electron blue monitors)... I'd prefer that.

And again, on that small screen? Using Handwriting recognition? Isn't it slow? I have never used more than graffiti, so I can't judge accuratly, except from reading that even the fabled newton was unfit for notetaking, without the keyboard.

With a tablet pc, i'd understand both of your uses better. But with dinky 5inch screens... Seems like more trouble that what come out of it.

PS: Torifile, did you hear about the recall on the Toshiba 740s?
  • Reply 29 of 37
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Matvei,

Yes, I am a little concerned about losing it, but that's far less likely than someone reading over my shoulder. A calculated risk, I guess. And the HWR on these guys (as well as on the newt 2x00) is really pretty good. It's far and away better than graffiti and the processor can more than handle it. Back on my old newt 130, it was SLOW, but on my 2100 and now on the e740 it's more than adequate.

As far as file searching, etc., it's not too bad at all. There are a couple really good file explorers out there. The built-in one is extremely limited, as is the built-in PIM and other applications. I get the impression that MS left these things lacking intentionally. It was actually one of the things that ticked me off about it. But there are some able substitutes for the applications. :/

I also thought of another extremely important aspect of these things for me: I don't have to carry around my DSM-IV or the PDR (I'm a psychologist so I need a cheat sheet for patient medication). It's a GREAT benefit of having all the RAM and even the nice color screen helps. It's well worth it (for me). I've actually never even played a game on it, but from what I hear they're pretty good at that too.

-t

ps - yes, I heard about the recall and I got one from Amazon's new batch. Thanks for the heads up, though.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    This is as good a place as any to put in my $0.02.

<strong>Of course, diffrent uses for different folks. I get that. In fact that was the gist of my point in supporting the Zire in this thread.

But it must be sooo slow to peruse these files on that tiny screen, no? I don't know, i'd prefer luggin' the ibook...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not really. I've read a couple books on my PDA, and found it very convenient. With over a dozen books on it, I was able to just decide what I was in the mood for & start reading. No lugging around my whole library for the day (difficult to do with hardbacks!).

[quote]<strong>

As for the torifile post. Well, I understand wanting to keep the screen confidential, but aren't you scared of losing the pda with the info on it?

If you can lock the files, maybe you didn't have the time or the chance to lock it before an evil bugger swipes it from you. I'd be scared of that!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, you can lock the files. In most apps, if it supports locking individual files, they are locked as soon as you leave the app. Also, the PDA as a whole can be automatically locked down whenever it's turned off/goes to sleep.

So, the only way someone could get into that data is if you put it down while on, or if they literally swiped it out of your hand.

[quote]<strong>

And they do sell these contraptions that you can install over your laptop screen (much like the hood on the lacie electron blue monitors)... I'd prefer that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not sure what you're referring to there, if you mean PDAs. There are plastic protectors you can put over the screen itself, to prevent scratches from the stylus/fingernails.

[quote]<strong>

And again, on that small screen? Using Handwriting recognition? Isn't it slow? I have never used more than graffiti, so I can't judge accuratly, except from reading that even the fabled newton was unfit for notetaking, without the keyboard.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Handwriting recognition varies from person to person. Some people can write just as fast as they can type. Personally, I have terrible handwriting, so Graffiti only makes it worse.

That's why I bought a Treo 90. Built in keyboard. Small? Yes. But it works, and I can type a heckuva lot faster than I can write.

[quote]<strong>

With a tablet pc, i'd understand both of your uses better. But with dinky 5inch screens... Seems like more trouble that what come out of it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That dinky screen is the main draw for me. I'd love a tablet that measured about 6 x 9, but that won't fit in my pocket. With my Treo, I can keep it in my pocket all day, then just pull it out and jot down a note as needed.

If I can find a barcode scanner that works via SD slot (and Filemaker Mobile gets support for it), I could cut down a lot of my work time. As a purchaser for a small store, I could simply scan in barcodes for the items we're getting low on, then sync to my PC and have the order ready to go.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Just like color screens were the future of television, the future of computer screens/laptops, and now that of PDAs and mobile phones, it's gonna happen; it does and willmake a difference in the experience, no matter how much you want to deny it.

Anyway, as far as a PDA goes, I've decided I don't want to lug around a separate PDA anymore, especially when so many of it's functions are tied to either telephony or internet (address book, email, downloads, webbrowsing, instant messaging, etc etc), I'm just going to get a phone with a capable operating system and physical featureset. If you've read my 'mobile phones' thread you've heard my ranting and indecision, but I've definitely settled on the Sony-Ericsson P800 device, a sleek and compact PDA with great color screen, capable Symbian OS (Palm-killer: it does everything your PocketPC can but your Palm just wishes it could), flippable numeric keypad, and even an integrated camera, Bluetooth, as well as GSM/GPRS support, of course. Should be coming out in mid-January, well worth the wait.

What am I doing with my Visor Edge once I get my wonderful smartphone? Probably, I'll give it to my mom or something. Unless somebody around here wants a Metallic Red Visor Edge packed with great freeware/shareware Palm apps and things, in great shape, wonderfully durable metal casing, etc etc.. $50
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Color is great. I am not denying this. But, to me, I will forgo color if it gives me better battery life and lower prices.

I have never seen it with the power bar even down a friggin' notch! When you sync it through the usb port, it uses that time to suck up a bit of power from the ibook to the device. Doesn't cost anything to the ibook, but the palm is refreshed completely!

As for the buttons, I never used to use them on my palm personal. I don't play games on my Zire.

Torifile: I'm myself a psychology student. I was wondering what kind of software you keep your patient files in? Filemaker, Word, specialized software? And in general, have you found any software that could be usefull for a clinical psychologist (Cognitive & Behavior therapy orientated)? How about research software? I am currently interested in motivation (particularly "Drive" and "outcome value evaluation". I'm thinking of one of the omni sketching software to illustrate models. What do you use as bibliography database software (I've seem a few for OSX, both shareware and the famous Endnote).

I guess this is like asking "What's on your powerbook?" &lt;- That was a great ad campain, by the way!

thanks.

[ 11-25-2002: Message edited by: Matvei ]

[ 11-25-2002: Message edited by: Matvei ]</p>
  • Reply 33 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong>1. The screen is bitmap, not grayscale!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

According to <a href="http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=4324"; target="_blank">this</a> article, it's 16 shade grayscale.

[quote]<strong>2. The Zire does not include any software to do the following basic tasks:

? Sync/read email

? Read eBooks</strong><hr></blockquote>

True, and the limited memory (2MB) isn't going to make it easy to stuff the Zire full of apps or e-mails/e-books.

[quote]<strong>3. It looks like the IRDA port of the Zire is not able to connect to a moble phone, and thus cannot do the following, no matter what software you buy:

? Connect to the internet for Email, web browsing, etc.

? Sync directly with a mobile phone

? Send faxes</strong><hr></blockquote>

The article above says that IrDA will work fine for connecting to a cell phone, and that TCP/IP etc. is supported.

[quote]<strong>4. The Zire also has only two navigation buttons, instead of four, limiting the device's usefulness for many third party applications, especially games.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think most apps will have a workaround, but I'm not entirely certain the Zire is best suited for games, anyway. The 2MB limit isn't going to allow for it.

Of course I'm just going on the word of the above article, which could be entirely wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

<strong>I guess this is like asking "What's on your powerbook?" &lt;- That was a great ad campain, by the way!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Agreed! One of the best print campaigns ever! It was those advertisements that made me lust after the PowerBook so much. Kind of interesting, too. I remember Samuel L. Jackson had Links Pro on his, and Henry Rollins had all his material on his.

[ 11-25-2002: Message edited by: Belle ]</p>
  • Reply 34 of 37
    It is weird, tonton. I thought perhaps the news sites had received pre-production models, but I've read a couple that bought the full packaged device.

You may be right that Palm is deliberately underselling the features of the Zire to persuade people to buy a more advanced model.

I guess the best idea if anyone is considering getting a Zire and needs an IrDA connection with a cell phone is to go along and try it out in a store.

I'd consider a Zire if I take the low(-end) road, but I'm really worried about the lack of backlight. Would I struggle to read it in the muted light in Starbucks or my favorite cafe?