Microsoft releases free OneNote information organizer on Apple's Mac App Store

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

I don't mind MS doing it though....whatever it takes to destroy google!!

Heh, I used to say "I don't mind Google so long as they destroy Microsoft."  Now Google has become the overwhelming threat, one with potentially more power to abuse than Microsoft ever had.

• Reply 22 of 31

Well, I for one am pleased as punch. It works just like the Windows version, and I'm astonished that it's free. I was able to login to my SkyDrive account and all of my old notebooks popped up. Yay! I missed this so much. I think I can uninstall Evernote now.

• Reply 23 of 31
    disturbiadisturbia Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

Heh, I used to say "I don't mind Google so long as they destroy Microsoft."  Now Google has become the overwhelming threat, one with potentially more power to abuse than Microsoft ever had.

Same here, my friend ... same here!!

At least, MS never tried to shove Ads and Spams up our private matters!! LMAO

• Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Same here, my friend ... same here!!

At least, MS never tried to shove Ads and Spams up our private matters!! LMAO

Can you believe Microsoft's stranglehold on technology now qualifies as the "good old days?"

One could always walk away from Microsoft, Apple, IBM.  How is one going to walk away from Google?  They already have your eternal soul on a server farm somewhere.

• Reply 25 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Friscosooner View Post

I'd be interested in comparing it to EverNote. I downloaded both the IOS and Mac versions, but there is no way that I can find to import my existing EN files. OneNote has no value for me if I cannot do this. Without being able to bring in existing info to compare side by side I am not going to keep the apps. Everything thing that I have found on the web for importing relates to using IE, Windows, or Outlook. None of which are an option for Mac users.

Hello?? This just got released today... and you expect to search Google and find shit??

• Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

Can you believe Microsoft's stranglehold on technology now qualifies as the "good old days?"

One could always walk away from Microsoft, Apple, IBM.  How is one going to walk away from Google?  They already have your eternal soul on a server farm somewhere.

...and eventually your body... ever wonder how the MATRIX began?

• Reply 27 of 31
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I think it's quite generous to make it free. Maybe they are also trying to encourage people to create Microsoft accounts, so that when the new Office for Mac (or iPad) comes out, not having an account will be one less barrier to people trying it.

• Reply 28 of 31
    Now only if it could talk to SharePoint, like the Windows version, and not be 100% tied to their damn Cloud (read: vapor) solutions.

Totally useless for large business.
  • Reply 29 of 31

Well, I've had some more time to play with it, and I'm disappointed in some respects, but hoping that things will change in updated versions:

- I can't attach files, drag files from Finder into OneNote, or insert PDFs. Also the drawing capabilities aren't there, or the OCR. I used to be able to print webpages into OneNote on Windows, or insert PDFs, highlight them, and making notes right next to the highlighted portions. That with OneNote's linking capabilities made it just about the best thing since delivery pizza for college students. I'm not a student anymore, but I still read a lot of PDFs and I will miss this capability the most. Dammit. Also, I could attach images of my own handwriting or my professors, for example, I'd take a picture of the whiteboard with the lecture stuff on it and the OCR would recognize it and make it searchable.

- Audio recording and recognition-- again, this was incredible and so much better than Evernote, and I used it in lectures all the time. I could also insert video files. None of that is here on the Mac version. Though my old Notebooks that were on the Skydrive showed up with all of the PDFs I had inserted in them, there.

I'm off to write Microsoft to ask them to bring these features on board. I had written in before asking for OneNote for Mac, and they did deliver... so maybe I can hope they'll consider these requests.

Looks like Evernote still stays... for now.

• Reply 30 of 31

The Mac version of OneNote looks nice and clean but it's missing a ton of functionality from the Windows version.  Is that just early version-itis or does Microsoft intend to keep the Mac version crippled by design as they've done with their Mac apps so many times in the past?

• Reply 31 of 31

RHF - I like your sig. But you mis-spelled the first word, its with an uck...