Users report freezing, lagging iPhones with Apple's iOS 7.1, but overall crashes are down

Comments

• Reply 61 of 98
    Many users including me, the iphone 4 was disappointed with personal hotspot cannot work, the APN profile can't save. It's been almost two weeks apple's Party gave no official information on this discussion https://discussions.apple.com/message/25214962#25214962, whereas many people from various countries complained about this. I think this is a serious problem that is not dealt with seriously by apple. Apple mentions that iPhone 4 users will enjoy improved responsiveness and performance. I think apple has lied, I find apple's performance from day to day are increasingly dropping, disappointing in the midst of an increasingly rigorous competition era. I hope there is a media that raised this topic became news, because this incident has disturbing our activities in the works using the hotspot.
  • Reply 62 of 98
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yadiess View Post

Many users including me, the iphone 4 was disappointed with personal hotspot cannot work, the APN profile can't save. It's been almost two weeks apple's Party gave no official information on this discussion https://discussions.apple.com/message/25214962#25214962, whereas many people from various countries complained about this. I think this is a serious problem that is not dealt with seriously by apple. Apple mentions that iPhone 4 users will enjoy improved responsiveness and performance. I think apple has lied, I find apple's performance from day to day are increasingly dropping, disappointing in the midst of an increasingly rigorous competition era. I hope there is a media that raised this topic became news, because this incident has disturbing our activities in the works using the hotspot.

That would have to do with the profile loaded from the SIM provided by your phone network.

Perhaps you should ask about replacing the SIM.

• Reply 63 of 98
    catmancatman Posts: 1member
    I've had a couple of issues. My iPad Mini w/Retina Display bricked when I did the update. My iPad w/retina display and my wife's iPad 3 were fine. I've had issues with my iPhone 4s where the volume image will just show up on my screen and I have to exit out of the app I'm in and then try and go back.
  • Reply 64 of 98
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Sure they do. They encourage those who haven't yet updated to take the plunge.

And fill out the sample context.

OTOH: I always wonder how much of the issues are derived from APP incompatibility that slowly gets sorted out as the apps upgrade?

• Reply 65 of 98
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    And fill out the sample context.

OTOH: I always wonder how much of the issues are derived from APP incompatibility that slowly gets sorted out as the apps upgrade?

Quite a few, from my experience.
  • Reply 66 of 98

yup, even i have had the same issue of no audio in games occasionally. the games which i am talking about are "threes" and "boost 2". all i have to do is force quit the app, and restart it.

• Reply 67 of 98
    On my iPhone 4 iOS 7.1 so much better then previous two versions. First it seems to be much faster in every way. Without instrumentation don't know if this is real or not but definitely feels faster. Second I had a lot of crashes before in Safari, BBC, Bloomberg, eyetv, iBooks and GoodReader. Sometimes the only fix was to reboot. Since 7.1 haven't had any crashes. Thanks Apple.
  • Reply 68 of 98
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 422member

iOS 7.1 has been positive here too. My 5S fingerprint recognition is much quicker, first-time recognition is much more frequent and I don't think I've once had to fall back to entering the PIN since the update (start-up excluded, of course). Reliability is much better too.

However, the big bonus for me is the new month view in calendar. It gives me a better day view than the day view :???:: Day view can only show about 4 hours without scrolling. There is no indication of whether there are other appointments outside of that 4 hours so you have to scroll to check, a waste of time when there aren't many appointments. The new month view can show three without scrolling and, if there's only 1 or 2, it's clear there are no more.

Maybe other people put more detail in their calendar, or have busier lives and more friends than me :( 

• Reply 69 of 98
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member

my wife's 5s battery issue was fixed with limbaugh's approach.  thanks i tried everything even reset everything , many things were suggested when i did a search but limbaugh's worked right off

i'm having issues with my blutooth,   using maps the first second of instructions comes then  stops   " turn right at........"

never really had an issue with the finger sensor that has worked for me 99+%

now having a bit of  lag with touch screen

but solving the battery issue for my wife was a big relief :)

• Reply 70 of 98
    kate2kate2 Posts: 3member

I want to start out by saying, I don't consider myself a complainer but just couldn't help adding a couple of issues I'm having on my iphone 4 since updating to ios 7.1   Why I updated, I have no idea since I wasn't having any problems of any kind before.  I saw that it supposedly had enhancements for the ip4 and just had to try it.  Stupid me!

Since updating I have a home button that doesn't work half the time, my screen freezes, everything is in slow motion.  It is so bad that the majority of the time I can't even get a celllular signal until about the 4th try making a phone call or checking phone messages. I'm not a happy camper, to say the least.  I'm going to try and reset everything back to what it was before I updated.  Just hope I can do it.  Despite my disappointment and frustration with this latest update, I still love my iphone.  I'll just be happy if I can restore it today to its previous self.

• Reply 71 of 98
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    kate2 wrote: »
    I want to start out by saying, I don't consider myself a complainer but just couldn't help adding a couple of issues I'm having on my iphone 4 since updating to ios 7.1   Why I updated, I have no idea since I wasn't having any problems of any kind before.  I saw that it supposedly had enhancements for the ip4 and just had to try it.  Stupid me!
    Since updating I have a home button that doesn't work half the time, my screen freezes, everything is in slow motion.  It is so bad that the majority of the time I can't even get a celllular signal until about the 4th try making a phone call or checking phone messages. I'm not a happy camper, to say the least.  I'm going to try and reset everything back to what it was before I updated.  Just hope I can do it.  Despite my disappointment and frustration with this latest update, I still love my iphone.  I'll just be happy if I can restore it today to its previous self.

Unless you saved your SHSH blob (if you don't know what that is then you didn't) before updating you won't be able to go back to 7.0.6. What I suggest is plugging it into iTunes, baking it up, then doing a Restore which will reinstall 7.1 while removing everything. Once that is complete then test it to see if it's working fine before you reinstall your files. If it then try to build it back up. If not, get it looked at by Apple.
  • Reply 72 of 98
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    ^ post

And to add to that, even if you still have iOS6 ipsw lying around...Apple doesn't sign it anymore. So one can install it, you can't active your phone. They took that away a few days after the release of iOS7.
  • Reply 73 of 98
    kate2kate2 Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Unless you saved your SHSH blob (if you don't know what that is then you didn't) before updating you won't be able to go back to 7.0.6. What I suggest is plugging it into iTunes, baking it up, then doing a Restore which will reinstall 7.1 while removing everything. Once that is complete then test it to see if it's working fine before you reinstall your files. If it then try to build it back up. If not, get it looked at by Apple.

Thank you for your response to my post.  A nice surprise for sure.   

You were right when you said if I don't know what SHSH blob is then I didn't save it.  I've never heard of this thing named SHSH blob and though I'm a 'senior citizen' I do consider myself computer saavy to a point.  I try to keep up with all the tech stuff but somehow this SHSH slid right past me.  Would you mind telling me what it is?  If I understand correctly, since I didn't save it, there is no way for me to go back to 7.0?  That's really rotten. 

Thanks for any additional info.

• Reply 74 of 98

iOS 7.1 proves my point that the crashes in previous versions is an iOS issue rather than a user issue that some idiots claim to be.

• Reply 75 of 98
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by rgwychu View Post

iOS 7.1 proves my point that the crashes in previous versions is an iOS issue rather than a user issue that some idiots claim to be.

Seems like an unfounded accusation.

• Reply 76 of 98
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    kate2 wrote: »
    Thank you for your response to my post.  A nice surprise for sure.   
    You were right when you said if I don't know what SHSH blob is then I didn't save it.  I've never heard of this thing named SHSH blob and though I'm a 'senior citizen' I do consider myself computer saavy to a point.  I try to keep up with all the tech stuff but somehow this SHSH slid right past me.  Would you mind telling me what it is?  If I understand correctly, since I didn't save it, there is no way for me to go back to 7.0?  That's really rotten. 
    Thanks for any additional info.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHSH_blob
  • Reply 77 of 98
    bondm16bondm16 Posts: 141member
    Freezing and Lagging in the same sentence as iPhone....not possible.
  • Reply 78 of 98
    Tons of problems last few days with 5s post update: extreme lagging when typing, sound works intermittently, can't stream music, charging works intermittently, phone turns off on its own, restart sometimes gives me the white apple screen then blue screen of death, no siri, responsiveness overall is off, battery drains faster... the list goes on and on. Suggestions welcome. I plan to take it to an apple store tomorrow. I've only had the phone a few months. Very frustrating.
  • Reply 79 of 98
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    miloface wrote: »
    Tons of problems last few days with 5s post update: extreme lagging when typing, sound works intermittently, can't stream music, charging works intermittently, phone turns off on its own, restart sometimes gives me the white apple screen then blue screen of death, no siri, responsiveness overall is off, battery drains faster... the list goes on and on. Suggestions welcome. I plan to take it to an apple store tomorrow. I've only had the phone a few months. Very frustrating.

If you've restarted and you've restored it, then your next step is to make a Genius Bar appointment. Don't walk into the Apple Store without an appointment.
  • Reply 80 of 98
    I updated my iPod Touch 5 gen, March 19, 2014 and my ipod kept cycling through the apple screen and a black screen, that kept going for 12 hours until I could do a complete restore. I have restored that ipod 5 times and it would freeze up around the 25 to 30 g area. Then it would cycle through the apple screen, the black screen, the slide screen and once in awhile it would show the lock screen. It was still under my best buy protection plan so I returned it. Now the new one I have have to restore 3 times and it cycled through the same screens at the approximate area. So I am now trying from an older back up. If that doesn't work then I will try starting with the apps that I'm trying to install when it crashes. If that doesn't work then I'm returning the ipod and starting with a 3rd one. Can anyone help me with this? To me ios 7.1 has killed my ipod. The first one worked perfectly before the update.