Sony DSC-F717

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Anyone have any experiences with this camera? More importantly, will it come down in price any time soon? I was playing with one at CompUSa the other day and really liked it, but it is a few hundred $$$ more than I want to spend. Any suggestions on something similar for less money? I want a fairly up-to-date camera and somethign that will still be good in a few years. I have been holding off hoping for an Apple branded camera, but I am beginign to accept the fact that we most likely won't see one.

One feature I would have liked in an Apple Camera would be a Hard drive and firewire...like a 5GB iPod with a lens. Is there anything on the market for a reasonable price with these built in?

Oh, here is the camera I am talking about in case you don't know:

<a href="http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=662061"; target="_blank">http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=662061</a>;

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    I don't think you are going to equal this camera for less money but you can probably pick up an F707 at a discount these days. That is the predecessor to the 717, and is quite similar. Check out details at <a href="http://dpreview.com"; target="_blank">http://dpreview.com</a>;
  • Reply 2 of 22
    I have a F707 and it's great!! I have used it on some professional shoots, even the front cover of a magazine! The F717 has a hotshoe which is the one thing I miss on the 707.

Plus points: Image quality, battery life (much better than the competition) Ease of use (great for snaps)

Minus points: Bad shutter lag (not sure of the competition) Non traditional manual controls.

I am seriously considering a second Sony, and with the 717's hotshoe and support for the new bigger memory sticks, it's a damn good choice. I can put up with the minus points because the battery life is so good. Minolta Dimage 7 will eat a set of batteries within an hour, Sony's Li Ion lasts a couple of days before needing to be charged!

Excellent source of information on all digital cameras: <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/"; target="_blank">dpreview</a>

Good luck!!
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Thanks. I'm not a pro photographer by any stretch of the imagination, just an enthusiast. I have a Nikon 8008 Film camera, which is quite a few years old but is a real trooper and a great camera, but I would really like to get into digital. I'll look around at the 707. Seems pretty similar and if I can pick it up for significantly less than the 717 I'd be awfully tempted...
  • Reply 4 of 22
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Isn't USB 2 incompatible with USB 1.1? The F717 has USB 2 as its connector (or memory stick of course).
  • Reply 5 of 22
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Hey hey, no USB FUD. USB2.0 is fully compatible with USB1.1, it just drops down to the lower speed.

PS. There's going to be a 6/12MP Fuji F602z replacement any week now. Photographers seem to like the shape and feel of it, and with a 6MP sensor and 12MP output it should have more than enough resolution for magazine prints.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Hey hey, no USB FUD. USB2.0 is fully compatible with USB1.1, it just drops down to the lower speed.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the clarification. Nice to know.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Hey hey, no USB FUD. USB2.0 is fully compatible with USB1.1, it just drops down to the lower speed.

PS. There's going to be a 6/12MP Fuji F602z replacement any week now. Photographers seem to like the shape and feel of it, and with a 6MP sensor and 12MP output it should have more than enough resolution for magazine prints.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sounds like that would cost an arm and a leg...I'm also looking at the Nikon CoolPix 5700. Argh, Apple would make it easier to just release a camera.

• Reply 8 of 22
    I don't think it will, Fuji just announced the sensor which is the same size as the one already in use in the F602 (1/1.7") so it should be a nice drop in replacement for the current 3.3MP (6MP output). Don't look fo rit to deliver the same resolution as the S2pro, but the S2 pro has a nearly APS film sized sensor. If the optics are good, then the smaller sensor should do a very good job (for the price). Olympus has shown that good optics can pick out 5MP worth of detail from a 1/1.8" sensor (slightly smaller than the Fuji) though the c5050 has some other problems.

I think the point of this sensor size is that the camera remain relatively small and affordable, it might be worth waiting for a couple of weeks.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    PS,

IIRC, Fuji's 6X Compact SLR-style zoom camera (6700, 6900, f602) has always been cheaper than Sony's unique swivel lense series (f505, 505v, 707, 717)

The 717 is about 1700-1800 Canadian, the current f602 (which should get replaced in the next couple of weeks) is 1200 Canadian and you can find it for under 1100, or bundled with some goodies.

From what I've heard the Nikon is a little slow and fuzzy it actually costs more than the Sony.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    if you dont need 10x zoom, the sony dsc-s85 is 4.1 megapixels and also has the carl zeiss lens. goes for about $500-600. great shots and advanced features and manual settings if you care to use them. but it's simple enough to use on auto settings.

the f707 should be cheaper now, but i've noticed that the prices dont drop very much on the f707 and 717. not sure if it pays to wait for price to go down, since it wont go too far down... just shop the internet for a good price.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    No,

the DSC series and the F series are very different.

There are certain differences between the two which make the F series a pro camera while the DSC is not so professional.

What I've noticed on my DSC-P1 is that it takes a long time for the shutter to release when I depress the button.

If anyone is really looking for a pro digital camera go for:

The Nikon D series!
  • Reply 12 of 22
    I've been looking at the 717 also. It seems to be the best choice for me between the nikon 5700 and dimgage 7i. Only things I would change is the write speed of tiff, raw format, and maybe hard drive storage compatible. Otherwise this is a great camera. compared with the dimage 7x optical zoom(200mm) the sony is at 5x optical zoom(190mm) and has a great lens and focus speeds(I think). Also the new memory sticks are coming out soon, so I am waiting to buy.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by stevegongrui:

[QB]No,

the DSC series and the F series are very different.

There are certain differences between the two which make the F series a pro camera while the DSC is not so professional.

/QB]<hr></blockquote>

i was replying to Horned Frog who said he isnt a pro photographer and I figured he could probably get a good camera for his needs and save money on the DSC line.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Yeah, DSC is pretty good. Great pictures, great interface. That's something Sony is so good at.

I played around with some kodak cameras. Man! they are so bulky and they take bad pictures! The interface is so slow!

I do not reccommned a Kodak digicam!

Sony is in my opinion unbeatable
  • Reply 15 of 22
    I've had a 707 since last summer. Operation is easy, quality of photos is good. I recently used it for a trip to Japan and you can see the images on my web site.<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/lesinanchy"; target="_blank">Inanchy Homepage</a>
  • Reply 16 of 22
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Does anyone have any experience with wide-angle lenses for the F717? I am considering wide angle lenses... some talk about Macro capability, some don't. Can anyone give me some input on this? Thanks much!
  • Reply 17 of 22
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Bad shutter lag might just be slow autofocus. Try turning it off and using manual focus.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    If you can stretch your budget, you are REALLY best off getting the Canon 300D. The quality knocks the socks of any of the sony's.

It really is an outstanding camera, and because it is compatible with all canon af lenses, it will grow with your needs.

Just my 2c.

• Reply 19 of 22
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

snip

Just as a clarification - if you want to ask a new question, you should probably start a new topic instead of bringing back one that is over a year old. But you're new so I think the mods will cut you slack.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Just as a clarification - if you want to ask a new question, you should probably start a new topic instead of bringing back one that is over a year old. But you're new so I think the mods will cut you slack.

Hmmm... I resist starting topics when there are any relevant threads, especially when there are people who have been discussing the exact model I am looking for info on. There's a good chance I would get flamed with the "search is your friend" line. Thanks for the hot tip. I did not realize that ancient threads are no longer fair game.