Tivo vs Replay TV

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    david rdavid r Posts: 135member
    Or play it through your computer, record it and dump it on DVD. There are ways to get around it, it's just not built into the system.

I couldn't live without my TiVo. I cannot imagine not having one.

If the lack of a built-in way to burni to DVD/export the video is the reason why people don't want a unit, then maybe they don't NEED a TiVo - after all it does oh so much more.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by David R

Or play it through your computer, record it and dump it on DVD. There are ways to get around it, it's just not built into the system.

But that's not what you said earlier... you specifically said that sharing was enabled between two S2 DVRs. Period. The TiVo website seems to allude this is the case as well.

In which case, could you please tell me how to play it through the computer? If in fact you *can* do this as well as moving the files to/from the server, *then* I would consider it a possible purchase. Until then, it's still missing features that I consider basic for media management.

Oh wait - you mean go out and buy a second digital video encoder for just the computer to play into for re-encoding. Well jeez, if I had that, what the heck would I need the TiVo for? To take up space in my entertainment center?
  • Reply 43 of 50
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Call their toll-free number and opt-out. Or return the enclosed postcard. .

Spammer logic.

I opt in or the company does not, at any level, have my interests at heart and they don't get my business.

And of course they only mine data "in aggregate." That's what data mining means. It's treating my information as a profitable commodity that they get from me by default, for free. Bah.

Still no sale.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    Exactly, you can hook up the video out to an encoder card.

I'm afraid that that you are missing the point of what TiVo is really all about. It's not about exporting video, it's about controlling what you watch, when you watch it, how you watch it and knowing what's on.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Hi amorph.

please don't take this the wrong way i am not not trying to be mean but have you:

if you use supermarket discount cards have you opted out of them?

have you called, written, opted out and confirmed with all your credit cards that you have opted out of their marketing schemes and confiirmed that they are not going to sell your information?

have you confirmed with your health ins company that you have opted out so they do not sell private information of yours to specfic drug companies?

if you bought a car recently have you opted out with ford? volkswagon etc.

have you opted out of all the web sites you have given your email address to?

have you opted out of all marketing from apple co.?

have you stopped borrowing books from public libraries?

if you own a house have you confirmed with your mortgage co. to opt you out of all there marketing?

recently married? have you made sure all your wedding services did not put you on a special marriage mailing list?

if you bought anything with a credit card at any number of dept stores did you first ask the manager and confirm that you were not going to be "opted" in with this purchase?

what about any related companies or subsidaries to that company?

my point is that most companies have the same policy as tivo yet it seems tivo are being treated differently. if you not going to do business with a company that resells your information in some form then you are not going to be doing much business, either at all or without the hassles of opting out and confirming taking up a lot of your day.

there are 1000's a companies that have not publicly stated their privacy policies and you and i are probably doing business with them right now.

I'm with you on privacy and its importance but all i'm saying Tivo does have the potencial to do bad things with very private informatiom but in reality they have publically stated that they won't between that and a simple opt out policy i don't know what else a person could ask for...

• Reply 46 of 50
    Quote:

Exactly, you can hook up the video out to an encoder card.

I'm afraid that that you are missing the point of what TiVo is really all about. It's not about exporting video, it's about controlling what you watch, when you watch it, how you watch it and knowing what's on.

Well, as long as it's on TiVo hardware. With a TiVo account. For each unit. That's certainly control, alright. Just not mine.

That's not choice, that's a lock-down. Just because they've loosened the chain a few links doesn't mean that shackle isn't still there... heck, their entire business model is based on it. They're *terrified* that you might be able to move your (note I say *your*) video files, from broadcast TV, to another media. Bollocks. It's no better than copy-protected CDs that won't work in CD-ROMs.

Sorry, TiVo is, while getting better, still lacking in several features I consider just plain basic and trivial, and seems to have no inclination to add them. It's too bad that once again marketing outdid product. Ah well.

The vast majority of the services TiVo provides for scheduling can be found elsewhere, for free, and used with a computer based encoder card PVR. I know, a buddy of mine has such a setup, and frankly, I haven't seen much difference between it and a TiVo Series 1, it's just that slick. Downside - he has a noisy PC in his entertainment center, and it isn't as nicely integrated as the S2 looks to be, plus, the PVR card set him back more than a low-end TiVo would have. (Tis nice though.)

I'll wait with my cash for a system that actually has a clue for what I see as necessary. Obviously other folks disagree, and they're free to do with their cash what they will. If TiVo fits your bill, go for it. I'll pass, it doesn't fit my needs or ideas of what the product could or should be. It's getting there in baby steps, but just not fast enough.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    >hey're *terrified* that you might be able to move your (note I say *your*) video files,

..."Yours"??

You own the copyright of the episode of "Friends" on that hard drive?

You own the copyright of the episode of "ER" on that hard drive?

You own the copyright of the episode of "The Sopranos" on that hard drive?

So what you are saying is, since you "own" them, that you could resell "your videos" on the street corner and not be arrested?

No, what the Supreme Court has said is that you have a right to fairly use/watch the above programs in a time shifted manner...

>several feature I consider just plain basic and trivial,

One man's plain, basic and trivial is another man's business model that steers clear of legal gray areas or even the appearance of a gray legal area so as to not get their company sued into the stone age!

What you are describing is exaclty what bought replay tv a one way ticket to bankruptcy...

Kickaha, i really do think you fall into the a group tivo is not catering too. Buy yourself a ATI all in wonder, a pc and some software and plant it in your living room and it should be able to do everything you described...
  • Reply 48 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

>hey're *terrified* that you might be able to move your (note I say *your*) video files,

..."Yours"??

You own the copyright of the episode of "Friends" on that hard drive?

You own the copyright of the episode of "ER" on that hard drive?

You own the copyright of the episode of "The Sopranos" on that hard drive?

So what you are saying is, since you "own" them, that you could resell "your videos" on the street corner and not be arrested?

No, what the Supreme Court has said is that you have a right to fairly use/watch the above programs in a time shifted manner...

Yes, and they have never, in any way shape or form, stated that you can *NOT* move that time shifted information to another media, despite all the whinings and FUD of the MPAA/RIAA/networks. Stop setting up inane strawman arguments.

Until they state otherwise, I'll choose to make sure that any product I buy allows me to choose where I watch, where I listen to, and where I use the data that was sent to me without contract. THAT is fair use. Not copy protected CDs, not proprietary video formats.

Why is it that MS is bad for locking users into the Word data format, but TiVo is just spiffy? I just don't get it.

Quote:

>several feature I consider just plain basic and trivial,

One man's plain, basic and trivial is another man's business model that steers clear of legal gray areas or even the appearance of a gray legal area so as to not get their company sued into the stone age!

What you are describing is exaclty what bought replay tv a one way ticket to bankruptcy...

So I as a consumer should give my cash to a business hell bent on catering to special interest groups that are determined to reduce my rights as a consumer? Balderdash. I refuse to be treated like a criminal for exercising my legal rights.

TiVo, the company, isn't any better than MS in my book. They have a product that is *just* good enough, that ensures that it doesn't step on any big money's toes, and couldn't care less about the consumer using it. Bleah.

Obviously though, Windows has a lot of users. As does TiVo. I choose to use neither.

Quote:

Kickaha, i really do think you fall into the a group tivo is not catering too. Buy yourself a ATI all in wonder, a pc and some software and plant it in your living room and it should be able to do everything you described...

I think we've established that I don't fit their market. Their loss, not mine.

I'll bow out of this, and let the discussion of TiVo Desktop continue. Looks like a nice bit of added features for those who own one, just not enough to make me consider buying one.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    I'm bowing out too...

As i mentioned in a post before... Tivo is not the best solution for 100% of the people out there...

Just the vast majority of people that simply want to use it as a digital vcr and have a better overall tv watching experience...not those that drone on about the hackability of the unit, suicidal business models, or their god given right to output copyrighted materials to DAT, BetaMax or 8-track...
  • Reply 50 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Yes, and they have never, in any way shape or form, stated that you can *NOT* move that time shifted information to another media, despite all the whinings and FUD of the MPAA/RIAA/networks.

TiVo has an option that says "Save to VCR". I'm sure you can hook up one of those mpeg encoder vcd or dvd units to it. No one is stopping you from doing that. That's just not the main point of owning a TiVo for the majority of the users.