Inside the iPad rig Jimmy Fallon used to duet with Billy Joel on 'The Tonight Show'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Unnecessary. You know how creative, artsy, music, and Hollywood folks just use Apple products because (shocking) they want to. Most of the haters come from tech circles.

Jimmy Fallon has a Mac and an iPhone too, he hid the Mac from Bill Gates here:

[VIDEO]

Bill shared his vision of the future - they're still working on figuring out handwriting. That's what the Surface users have to look forward to and maybe they'll have a way to attach a printer and have robotic pigeons to tie the notes to. This is one reason Apple keeps succeeding - they know how to let go of the past.
    There are architectural issues with Android itself that need to be corrected before they will get low latency.

That can't be right, I heard that it's Apple that's playing catch-up and Android devices can do everything that iOS devices can do, faster and better because of quad/octo-cores and many GBs of RAM, SD cards, that butter they added to the system, the openness, the cheapness. Why pay for Apple's overpriced products when you can buy the next best thing and just keep it in the drawer, knowing you've saved money. You don't need to do things with the products.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Yes, just to repeat, the Apogee is high end elite gear. For practical purposes, similar gear $200-$300 would be enough to do a pro job.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Agreed.

One of my most enjoyable experiences lately (musically) was finding Paul McCartney's "Live at Abbey Road" video...the whole thing is on YouTube (in parts).

He's basically in the Abbey Road studio of Beatles fame, showing how everything was done.

He makes it look so easy! 

But then again, he is Paul McCartney. 

Check it out. 

Best.

I just did... and a big thank you for the tip!

How much fun was that? And seriously curious what the cost of admission was?!

And with all if the great old instruments in that room... what ties it best with the present? That "crossroads company" and their Mac...:smokey:
  • Reply 24 of 40
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

I really enjoyed that. Apple couldn't have had a better moment than that.

What would have been an even better song was that theme to National Lampoon's Vacation. That would have conjured up images of Christy in that Ferrari and made the universe whole.

• Reply 25 of 40

Yawn!  It was extremely boring, I watched it.

• Reply 26 of 40
    You neglected any details on the two microphones with their wireless transmitters and receivers. An expensive, high-end audio interface like the Apogee is of no use without microphones connected to wireless receivers connected to the Apogee.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I just did... and a big thank you for the tip!

How much fun was that? And seriously curious what the cost of admission was?!

And with all if the great old instruments in that room... what ties it best with the present? That "crossroads company" and their Mac...image

Yep, ur very welcome! A once in a lifetime event! Glad you enjoyed it, Bro.

I know from Elvis' base to the "whatever that thing was called" for the intro to Strawberry Fields.

When he said, "I can see John sitting right over there in the corner!" Magical! :)

The best part for me was seeing the chords for "I've Got A Feeling" song from Let it Be. I've been trying to play that song on my guitar for 30 years. B/C of that video I finally got it. (Sort of!)

Best regards,

Chris

• Reply 28 of 40
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    They were using GarageBand at the end of the McCartney video?
  • Reply 29 of 40
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I have multiple Apogee products, and they work nicely with Macs and iOS devices.

Apogee works only with Macs! No Windows users or anybody else allowed!

The last Apogee product that I bought recently was an Apogee Jam, to hook up guitars and bass to my iPads. Sounds great and works great!

• Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

They were using GarageBand at the end of the McCartney video?

I don't know....but def. they were using Mac's. I would have to watch it again, but I bet they were using Logic Pro. But again, not sure.

• Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I have multiple Apogee products, and they work nicely with Macs and iOS devices.

Apogee works only with Macs! No Windows users or anybody else allowed!

The last Apogee product that I bought recently was an Apogee Jam, to hook up guitars and bass to my iPads. Sounds great and works great!

Yep...I've been looking for a system to use with an iPad. Just to record voice and an acoustic guitar with. Then add some basic midi piano, rhythm and some other minimal multi-track guff.

I just sold all of my old mics/cables/stands and the USB control that connected everything to my iMac. Too ungainly with all the cables. 

I would love to have just an iPad , a wireless mic and this unit. 

Best.

• Reply 32 of 40
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,727member
    I like stuff like that. Not affiliated, but similarly cool: everyday looper. E.g.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The iPad is just a toy, 

I don't know. Sure looks like they were having fun. Of course they were both getting paid to play with the iPad.

• Reply 34 of 40
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member

it may start as a toy, but it will be becoming a big part of recording long term...when there is more power and if there is a large ipad pro..well who knows..

• Reply 35 of 40
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Yep, ur very welcome! A once in a lifetime event! Glad you enjoyed it, Bro.

I've now watched it twice, not only because it was enjoyable, but because I was also trying to figure out what software Nigel was using. Below some screen shots from the July, 2005 event if anyone recognizes the layout.
    I know from Elvis' base to the "whatever that thing was called" for the intro to Strawberry Fields.

Mellotron - Paul got rather humorous at that point :)
    When he said, "I can see John sitting right over there in the corner!" Magical! :)
    Nostalgicly sad(!) I'm sure I heard Paul's voice crack for a moment.
    The best part for me was seeing the chords for "I've Got A Feeling" song from Let it Be. I've been trying to play that song on my guitar for 30 years. B/C of that video I finally got it. (Sort of!)
    As everyone knows, Paul didn't even learn to write music until he was in his 50's. He has "magic fingers" with a brain all their own, so I don't doubt that the contortions they go through in a song are easily copied, so don't be hard on yourself. Those fingers have a life all of their own so to speak. I wonder how often through the years Paul himself looked up with astonishment on his face and thought, "How'd I do that? That's cool!!! Can I do it again?"
    Best regards,

Chris
    Back at ya... :smokey:

*** The screen shots. Sorry for Lo-Res. Taken from a Chinese (?) cut on YT. I watched the original program twice, but thought these would suffice as a quicky **

• Reply 36 of 40
    coxnvoxcoxnvox Posts: 50member

I agree that Kimmel is funnier, but I think Fallon is "funner."

• Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coxnvox View Post

I agree that Kimmel is funnier, but I think Fallon is "funner."

I had to read that twice...but spot on. When Russell Brand was on and Kimmel said, "Suddenly, I feel very uncool!" Or words to that effect. Very funny! 

Best!

• Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I've now watched it twice, not only because it was enjoyable, but because I was also trying to figure out what software Nigel was using. Below some screen shots from the July, 2005 event if anyone recognizes the layout.

Mellotron - Paul got rather humorous at that point image

Nostalgicly sad(!) I'm sure I heard Paul's voice crack for a moment.

As everyone knows, Paul didn't even learn to write music until he was in his 50's. He has "magic fingers" with a brain all their own, so I don't doubt that the contortions they go through in a song are easily copied, so don't be hard on yourself. Those fingers have a life all of their own so to speak. I wonder how often through the years Paul himself looked up with astonishment on his face and thought, "How'd I do that? That's cool!!! Can I do it again?"

Back at ya... image

*** The screen shots. Sorry for Lo-Res. Taken from a Chinese (?) cut on YT. I watched the original program twice, but thought these would suffice as a quicky **

That's right, Melotron. Yep, Paul was funny. And wasn't he great with Heartbreak Hotel?

There is another video of him singing "That's Alright Mama" with Elvis' old band. Paul sounded just like Elvis...at the end one of the band members says, "Hey, that was pretty good. We should get a job, go out on the road, get a bus!" Pretty funny! :) McCartney nails it! :)

(Sorry, the video and sound are a little out of sync)

Yep. Thanks. The Beatles Complete music book had "I've got a feeling" in the right key but just used the basic A chord (I think) and Paul is playing a bar chord! With a kind of simple walk-down to a D. Which sounds much, much better. I was in a guitar store a few weeks ago and strumming it on a $5,000 Martin (wonderful, btw) and two employees came over and said, hey that's our song. They knew it from the Let it Be album. Pretty cool. Never happened to me before! Made my day! When I was younger, I'd pull out my guitar and my 3 sisters would get up and leave the room! That felt really good! :)

I agree, whenever he mentioned John, there was def. some emotion in his voice! :)

As far at the screen shots. I don't know. But I do remember seeing the apple logo on some hardware, a laptop, or maybe an iMac during the show. Sorry.

I've watched it few times, too. There was no one in that room that wasn't enjoying it immensely. 

Enjoyed chatting to you about it! Fun. And, again, glad you enjoyed it! :)

Chris

• Reply 39 of 40
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    It's definitely a mac, given the menu bar.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I was also trying to figure out what software Nigel was using.

Looks like Pro Tools:

https://www.avid.com/US/about-avid/customer-stories/Abbey-Road
    http://www.avid.com/us/products/family/pro-tools/