With Android Wear, Google fires first shot in hardware war against Apple

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

I totally agree that the concept is great. Now tell me, what is the maximum amount you would pay and the minimum amount of battery life you'd accept for you to buy this thing. Then we can talk in June.  

Willing to go up to $399 as an impulse buy on day 1. Higher than that, then I really need to see multiple reviews and hands-on before consideration. I think they'll hit the $250-299 mark though; g watch $99-199. 

Battery - Honestly, not sure. Many factors go into that but I trust Moto's prowess displayed in their Moto devices, and they've repeatedly hinted that they're going to use tech from their past devices (Moto X/G, Droids, Aura, ACTV), and I would assume that includes display, processor, and battery advancements. I think they'll squeeze out 2-3 days of juice. My absolute minimum for any wearable would be lasting 7am to 11pm, but nightly charging still isn't ideal.

Still wishing Phone OEMs would, instead of making phones thinner, squashed the components, keep the same chassis and just provide a bigger battery the next yr. It would be even better if it's a bigger size along with some technological enhancements. Mobile phones should be lasting 3-4 days on a single charge by now.

• Reply 122 of 139
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

I can answer a couple of your questions. First of all there is no real watch movement inside the Moto 360. The watch faces are digital (and adjustable) and the screen of the Moto 360 is oled. And it is suggested that it uses the Moto X's Active Display (activating individual pixels to save power, everything black are switched off pixels) to show the time at all times. Android Wear works with Android 4.3 and up (because of Bluetooth LE requirements). They work together with your smartphone and are not complete stand alone devices.

The lead designer of the Moto 360 didn't yet detail the exact charging method of the Moto 360, but it doesn't have any physical inputs (like usb) so wireless charging is most likely. He also stressed that power management was central to the design of the Moto 360 but no real details have been given at this moment in time, I guess we will get more information at Google I/O. Also interesting is that app developers don't need to make any modifications, if the app uses notifications in Android they also will automatically work with Google Wear, including actions if the notification is actionable in Android.

And yes the Moto 360 is indeed scheduled for Summer 2014 release. I must say that it is the first smartwatch that I am interested in buying if everything turns out like now depicted. I'm pretty sure though it will come at a premium price.

And I'm sure that Moto will be using a lot of what they have learned with the Moto X which has *excellent* battery life in spite of being always on.

• Reply 123 of 139
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd like to see a car that will unlock when the BT of the watch gets close enough to initiate a secure handshake, but that also means it should be smart enough to disable this service if you remove the wrist-worn wearable. 

I don't think that works. Some cars already have the automatic trunk lid opening when in range. If you stand next to the trunk for three seconds with the key in your possession, it opens. I suppose it is designed so if your hands are full it is helpful. Kind of impractical in my opinion. It just isn't smart enough. if you wanted the trunk to open, then fine, but that just means you need to stay away from the rear of your car or the trunk will open unexpectedly, like if you stand too close while filling the fuel tank, or chatting with a neighbor, etc. Same thing could happen with your unlock scenario. BMW already has a touch id in the handle. It is better, especially if you don't want all the doors to unlock, but just the door want to open. I could see voice recognition and a set of commands perhaps being practical.

• Reply 124 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeowulfSchmidt View Post

• Blood glucose monitor

How would that work?  Google Now and Google Voice are the killer apps in Android.  And I think it's Google Now that's going to set Android Wear apart from anything from Apple.  Like you, I'll use my smartphone for everything until the price drops around $100.  But if it were to monitor my blood sugar, that would be the killer app for the watch and I'll totally buy it - at the $300 I expect these watches to start at.  But without extracting blood, I can't see this happening and I can't see myself getting pricked every hour on the hour :-)  But, boy this would be really cool for us Diabetics if it were ever to happen.

Edit - typo.  Can't see getting pricked.  Not can see.

• Reply 125 of 139
    Quote:

A UI does not equate to a finished HW product with performance and battery life at reasonable levels. If it was "pretty much already real and in existence" then there would have been no need for these CGU mockups, a lack of any technical specs, or a date that tentatively states Summer.

There actually is a video of the notifications on an actual Moto 360 watch out there that I saw the other day.  So it's not just on the emulator.  As far as the battery life is concerned.  Very valid question to which we will get an answer in a few months.

• Reply 126 of 139
    Normally I'd laugh this off as a "also did" type of device, something they're doing to stave off a "imminent" Apple device. This feels different, though. Although I'd be interested in seeing an Apple wearable device, it's got to make sense as an addition to the ecosystem. That said, Google's Wear platform, on initial look, seems compelling. They have the Google Now backend to back it all up. Hardware will at some point, not be the big differentiation - if Apple can't integrate better via iCloud, they will be left in the dust.
  • Reply 127 of 139
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ddpacino View Post

How

It's not my issue that you don't have access to said info, but what should I expect from an Apple crowd about it's competitiors. Get your sources up. I use Google Now every day. I know EXACTLY how it'll work. I have the Wear's main homescreen apk running as my launcher on my Nexus 5 right this instant as I mess around. Gonna love quick access to music controls on my wrist. This whole thing seems like something I've used before though, but can't quite put my finger on it...

Talk to this "shill" in June.

That's actually quite convenient.  My Leaf connects to my phone and I can use the buttons on the wheel to change tracks.  But my 6 year old Van has no AVRCP.  It's nice not to have to grab the phone to change the track.  Instead I can press a button on my watch.  But even that is nowhere near as convenient as saying "OK Google Next Track".  Of course I don't need a watch for that.  A phone like the Moto X could do it right now.

• Reply 128 of 139
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,841member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

You are right. Technology companies are generally known for exceptional product concept demonstrations as well as their inability to deliver products and services as conceived.

That would be Google, Google Glasses isn't for sale to the general public and it's been 2 years of vaporware after the initial announcement.

• Reply 129 of 139
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,841member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by impaler80s View Post

Normally I'd laugh this off as a "also did" type of device, something they're doing to stave off a "imminent" Apple device. This feels different, though. Although I'd be interested in seeing an Apple wearable device, it's got to make sense as an addition to the ecosystem. That said, Google's Wear platform, on initial look, seems compelling. They have the Google Now backend to back it all up. Hardware will at some point, not be the big differentiation - if Apple can't integrate better via iCloud, they will be left in the dust.

Can you buy this Google device in 2 weeks a month?, no? if there is an Apple device, Tim Cook will  announce it and give you a date for buying and taking delivery. Where is the Google Glass? in beta?

• Reply 130 of 139
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

It looks like the Android Wear partners have not learned from the television and Wallet disasters...

Good Post.

However, I think the game is more about trying to wrap up patents then actually sell a product.

If Apple releases anything - chances are it will touch a patent and the trolls will make more money on it then producing a product.

• Reply 131 of 139
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sambira View Post

I agree.  Isn't the "Unusably Big iPhone" just a tablet and why wouldn't one just get a tablet?  I have yet to see anyone actually on a call in the wild holding up a tablet sized "phone" to their ear.

What screen size is tablet size?

• Reply 132 of 139
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

What screen size is tablet size?

As soon as it’s larger than is usable as a phone, it’s a tablet.

What defines “usable as a phone”? Every phone since 1880 has been usable with one hand. Until Android, that is.

• Reply 133 of 139
    Quote:

Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

How would that work?  Google Now and Google Voice are the killer apps in Android.  And I think it's Google Now that's going to set Android Wear apart from anything from Apple.  Like you, I'll use my smartphone for everything until the price drops around $100.  But if it were to monitor my blood sugar, that would be the killer app for the watch and I'll totally buy it - at the $300 I expect these watches to start at.  But without extracting blood, I can't see this happening and I can see myself getting pricked every hour on the hour :-)  But, boy this would be really cool for us Diabetics if it were ever to happen.

I highly doubt you'll ever see any type of watch or band doing this.

• Reply 134 of 139
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What defines “usable as a phone”? Every phone since 1880 has been usable with one hand. Until Android, that is.

What screen size is that? 3.5", 4", 4.5", 5", 5.5", 6"?

• Reply 135 of 139
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

What screen size is that? 3.5", 4", 4.5", 5", 5.5", 6"?

The one that’s unusable. Certainly 5” and above. Very probably 4.7” and above. Again, it’s based on the thickness of the device, as well. You can eek out a few fractions of an inch with a couple millimeters shaved.

• Reply 136 of 139
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Where does Zach Morris' phone fit in?

• Reply 137 of 139
    Originally Posted by ddpacino View Post

Where does Zach Morris' phone fit in?

One-handed, of course. :p

• Reply 138 of 139
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

1) The watch business is very lucrative. Over $60 billion in 2013.

2) I agree that the "smartwatch" as noted by Samsung, Sony and Pebble's attempts are a market failure, but a wrist-worn electronic device is highly likely to succeed and the wearable electronics market is going to be the next big push in technology and will last a very long time.

Wearable devices are not necessarily smart watches but other as well like health monitoring devices. What I meant in my post was for pure smart watch like Sammy Gears crap.

• Reply 139 of 139
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Wearable devices are not necessarily smart watches but other as well like health monitoring devices. What I meant in my post was for pure smart watch like Sammy Gears crap.

Here's a review of the Gear Fit. 5.5 out of 10. I recommend watching the video instead of reading the article.