Gigawire = 802.16?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    So Gigawire = Fast, wireless firewire, huh?

I see vast amounts of consumer confusion. And that's why I doubt this angle of the rumor. No marketer with half a brain would put "-wire" in a brand for a product that is wireless.

If Gigawire is real* and using Ockham's Razor then this protocol: 1) uses a physical wire, and 2) meets or exceeds 1000 Mbits per second. Period.

The rest is guesswork.

* Yes it's a real trademark, but I mean "real" as in something coming to market.

Screed

P.S. Am I the only one terrified by the prospect of a multimedia enabled vehicle?! If cars are going to be wired, wire them so that they drive themselves and then install the entertainment system.

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: sCreeD ]

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: sCreeD ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 28
    If it can wirelessly transver 3.x GB/sec, then it's quite obvious what it will be.

I live in downtown San Jose, and there are mounds of coffee shops here hooked up to the internet, wirelessly. I could take an iBook hooked up with an airport card, go sit outside the shop (they're that powerful) and use the net.

Services vary - a free one that uses banner ads, and then there is starbucks - hellof expensive...about $7/hr. to use the net. Lame.

But! What if Apple was able to put a basestation on every block, or however many places they had to, and gave free usage to all mac users, inexpenisve usage to non-mac users. Also renting the line out to cell phone companies would do two things: Increase reception in urban areas for cellular connections, and (2) lower costs for Cell Phones by needing only ONE line in and out of urban areas, rather than one for each phone.

That would be a big step up for the world.

Andrew
  • Reply 23 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by amidala:

<strong>If it can wirelessly transver 3.x GB/sec, then it's quite obvious what it will be.

I live in downtown San Jose, and there are mounds of coffee shops here hooked up to the internet, wirelessly. I could take an iBook hooked up with an airport card, go sit outside the shop (they're that powerful) and use the net.

Services vary - a free one that uses banner ads, and then there is starbucks - hellof expensive...about $7/hr. to use the net. Lame.

But! What if Apple was able to put a basestation on every block, or however many places they had to, and gave free usage to all mac users, inexpenisve usage to non-mac users. Also renting the line out to cell phone companies would do two things: Increase reception in urban areas for cellular connections, and (2) lower costs for Cell Phones by needing only ONE line in and out of urban areas, rather than one for each phone.

That would be a big step up for the world.

Andrew</strong><hr></blockquote>

Does Apple have the resources to do this?
  • Reply 24 of 28
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Now, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I dreamed it. I duuno, but? I seem to remember comments at the time of Altivec's introduction that it could be used to speed up communication between devices over the internet. Does this make sense? I really think I heard that somewhere. Was it Meader? Anyway, if true, maybe this plays a part in Gigawire.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by discstickers:

<strong>

Does Apple have the resources to do this?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, they have nearly $4 Billion in the bank. that should be enough for a small project in major cities. And it'll surely get more sales of laptops from PC users, since they'll all want to do it for free.

Plus, if you think about it, a city of 3,000,000 people...maybe 1% has laptops that could (with the card) hook up via the airport standard...that's 30,000 right there. If those 30,000 wanted to, and Apple agreed, they could pay maybe $5 a month to be connected to the net ANYWHERE in the city.

That's $150,000/month ($1.8Million/yr) from just the PC users connecting to the system. Of course APple will get massive money when those users buy an iBook or TiBook in order to use the system for free.

And if they lease the bandwidth to cell phone companies...well, upwards of 2/3 of city dwellers (business people included) use cell phones...and perhaps just a penny or two per user, per month....(per minute)...a ton of money.

They'd quickly get paid for it.

Andrew
  • Reply 26 of 28
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by amidala:

<strong>

Well, they have nearly $4 Billion in the bank. that should be enough for a small project in major cities. And it'll surely get more sales of laptops from PC users, since they'll all want to do it for free.

Plus, if you think about it, a city of 3,000,000 people...maybe 1% has laptops that could (with the card) hook up via the airport standard...that's 30,000 right there. If those 30,000 wanted to, and Apple agreed, they could pay maybe $5 a month to be connected to the net ANYWHERE in the city.

That's $150,000/month ($1.8Million/yr) from just the PC users connecting to the system. Of course APple will get massive money when those users buy an iBook or TiBook in order to use the system for free.

And if they lease the bandwidth to cell phone companies...well, upwards of 2/3 of city dwellers (business people included) use cell phones...and perhaps just a penny or two per user, per month....(per minute)...a ton of money.

They'd quickly get paid for it.

Andrew</strong><hr></blockquote>

This sounds about one step away from the TV mind control device in Batman Forever...or whichever one it is. But I'm in....

:confused: :confused: :confused:

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>
  • Reply 27 of 28
    They can only control our minds if we have airport! And airport cards aren't included automatically....yet!

Andrew
  • Reply 28 of 28
    [quote]They can only control our minds if we have airport! And airport cards aren't included automatically....yet!

Andrew

<hr></blockquote>

So, if they include Airport to all products, be careful.