Apple taps veteran Senate finance staffer as new top lobbyist

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

See, Apple do hire women if they are the best fit for the job.

Just waiting for other minority groups to complain that she wasn't a black lesbian wheelchair user.

• Reply 22 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    oneaburns wrote: »
    That type of transparency would be nice. And while I don't fault Apple at all for lobbying, I do fault out government for allowing it to happen. I mean, deduct this woman's salary and travel expenses and you're still left with at least $2 million dollars. Where does that go? It ain't for taking politicians out to dinner. It's goes in te politicians pockets. I'm bit sure how they do it but it's shameful that it's allowed to take place. So much for a government "of the people, for the people and by the people." End of rant.

Money talks. This has been the way things work since money was created.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

That type of transparency would be nice. And while I don't fault Apple at all for lobbying, I do fault out government for allowing it to happen. I mean, deduct this woman's salary and travel expenses and you're still left with at least $2 million dollars. Where does that go? It ain't for taking politicians out to dinner. It's goes in te politicians pockets. I'm bit sure how they do it but it's shameful that it's allowed to take place. So much for a government "of the people, for the people and by the people." End of rant.

If Apple is reporting $3 million a year in "lobbying" I can assure you that that money isn't going into politicians' pockets.  (The naive part of me says that's because Apple doesn't bribe politicians, while the cynical side says "if they do they wouldn't report that money anywhere.")  $2-$3 million a year is nothing, especially in DC.  Just to have a small staff in a nice DC office and some lawyers on retainer easily accounts for most of that.

• Reply 24 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    malax wrote: »
    If Apple is reporting $3 million a year in "lobbying" I can assure you that that money isn't going into politicians' pockets.  (The naive part of me says that's because Apple doesn't bribe politicians, while the cynical side says "if they do they wouldn't report that money anywhere.")  $2-$3 million a year is nothing, especially in DC.  Just to have a small staff in a nice DC office and some lawyers on retainer easily accounts for most of that.

To me a bribe can be a nice dinner, some swag, or a swanky getaway where you aren't technically putting cash in anyone's pockets.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

Forced to rut in the mud, if that’s what modern politics takes, Apple’s got the coin to do it. Sad, though.

• Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

When every other major technology company vastly outspends Apple in lobbyists, unfortunately Apple has no choice. Ideally, they wouldn't need any. But in this situation, NOT having lobbyists (or enough lobbyists) would be negligent and stupid. Obviously Apple is not crazy about the idea, looking at how much money they have and how much they spend on them, but clearly they see that they need to get in the game. Otherwise, Amazon and Google wil continue getting preferred treatment and unfair advantages. 

Yeah; it's sad that Apple is having to resort to keeping their friends close and their enemies closer.

• Reply 27 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I realize this is super shallow comment, but it would seem that Apple hires better-looking women than men. image

As a married man, I wouldn't know...

• Reply 28 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

See, Apple do hire women if they are the best fit for the job.

Just waiting for other minority groups to complain that she wasn't a black lesbian wheelchair user.

Even if she were, it would invoke complaints from the transsexual, peanut-eating ginger community.