Google Glass partners with maker of Ray-Ban, Oakley for more stylish headwear

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40

"You'll be the most fashionable-looking sheep ever." - Google

• Reply 22 of 40
    zandros wrote: »
    Yup. I need new glasses, and I'm making a point of avoiding Luxottica – it's not easy. Most of the alternatives are budget Chinese no-names, super high-end like Cartier or simply unavailable in Europe (like Randolph Engineering).

Try looking into Marchon and Altair eyewear. They have quality brands under their names as well and aren't Luxottica-owned.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Google partners with Luxottica, Facebook buys Oculus VR... What's next? Microsoft buys Lens Crafters?

Too late. Luxottica owns LensCrafters.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    foad wrote: »
    The fashion industry, which is where Luxottica operates in, as a whole is run by by only a handful of companies and there is more and more consolidation. It is hard to avoid it.

I think this was probably the only route Google could take seeing as how the industry is structured.

Google also has a partnership with the largest eyecare insurance provider, VSP, which also has its hand in eyewear manufacturing. Luxottica isn't the only route they can take or are exploring.
    Google partners with Luxottica, Facebook buys Oculus VR... What's next? Microsoft buys Lens Crafters?

LensCrafters is owned by Luxottica... -_-
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Don't forget, Google is also working with VSP, which is very respected in the world of eyecare. Google is doing like they did with android, trying to get it out to as many platforms as possible. This makes perfect sense.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Google also has a partnership with the largest eyecare insurance provider, VSP, which also has its hand in eyewear manufacturing. Luxottica isn't the only route they can take or are exploring.

And Luxottica owns the second largest provider.

Luxottica has a controlling share of the entire value chain of the eyewear industry. From design, manufacturing, and sales. It is actually quite staggering how large an empire they have.

I'd also add, Oakley tried going head to head with Luxottica and got destroyed to the point that Luxottica ended up acquiring them at a a massive discount.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    And Luxottica owns the second largest provider.

Luxottica has a controlling share of the entire value chain of the eyewear industry. From design, manufacturing, and sales. It is actually quite staggering how large an empire they have.

yes, eyemed gives them another power player in eyecare that adds to their staggering empire. luckily, google doesn't like to be pigeonholed and likely won't be easy for Luxottica to work with. the eyecare industry is going to have as much of a challenge bringing Glass into their space as Google will have getting it there.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    yes, eyemed gives them another power player in eyecare that adds to their staggering empire. luckily, google doesn't like to be pigeonholed and likely won't be easy for Luxottica to work with. the eyecare industry is going to have as much of a challenge bringing Glass into their space as Google will have getting it there.

Agreed. Ultimately, I don't think the frames are the issue with Glass as much as the concept is.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    How long before we find out that Google is really an arm of the CIA.
    Google glass will give you the ability to spy, inconspicuously, on people. Government surveillance tech is being disguised as consumer tech.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,595member
    maccherry wrote: »
    How long before we find out that Google is really an arm of the CIA.
    Google glass will give you the ability to spy, inconspicuously, on people. Government surveillance tech is being disguised as consumer tech.

I think your smartphone would be less conspicuous.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Now you can spend even more money to look like a doofus!

and tell everyone that you are more "fashionable".

(but you still can't wear them into google shareholders meetings)

• Reply 32 of 40
    Agreed. Ultimately, I don't think the frames are the issue with Glass as much as the concept is.

you're right. i own glass and work in eyecare and people are both fascinated by and afraid of it. they don't necessarily always care how the frames look in a fashion sense, but they are concerned about privacy. making it harder to tell when someone is wearing glass will likely make people more afraid. i wonder if they might just be better off removing the camera and making it a content consumption device... but then again, having a camera adds all sorts of functionality that could be helpful (e.g. an app that identifies colors for the colorblind).

there are some people who won't buy it because of the appearance, but that's not the biggest hurdle right now.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Hey now! I have two pairs of sunglasses, one of which Is cheap. But the others are Oakleys which I bought for golf.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,898moderator

I can't wait for Microsoft to come out with their product.  Hint: The camera is hidden in one of the nostrils.

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

• Reply 35 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Too late. Luxottica owns LensCrafters.

D'oh!
  • Reply 36 of 40

Yes, yes, but when is it coming out?

The surprising thing will not be that it comes with Ray-ban. The surprising thing will be if it comes out.

• Reply 37 of 40
    Lipstick on a pig still makes it a pig.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Lipstick on a pig still makes it a pig.

And lipstick on an Apple fan still makes them an iSheep!  Bleet bleet!

• Reply 39 of 40

And lipstick on an Apple fan still makes them an iSheep!  Bleet bleet!

Heh heh. Spoken like a true Androider.

You do know that GG is platform-agnostic, right?

A dumb product is a dumb product. But you guys wouldn't know. I sometimes wonder who the true sheep are.
  • Reply 40 of 40

Wow excellent news! but you can take good idea to use optical displays for hold large collection of stylish sunglasses.