Apple updates iTunes Movie Trailers app with notifications, Rotten Tomatoes reviews

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
Apple on Tuesday brought a few useful additions to its iTunes Movie Trailers app, including a new notification system for shows to be released in theaters or the iTunes Store and in-app critic reviews from Rotten Tomatoes.

Trailers

One of the most substantial enhancements to iTunes Movie Trailers version 1.4 is the addition of push notification services which alert users when a movie hits theaters or the iTunes Store.

To activate the feature, add a show to the Favorites section and Trailers will automatically send out a notification when the movie is available. Notifications can be toggled in iOS Settings.

In addition, critic reviews from Rotten Tomatoes are now accessible in app. Previously, Trailers was limited to "rotten" or "fresh" scores and user ratings. With version 1.4, users can browse review snippets from top Rotten Tomatoes critics.

Finally, Trailers adds sharing via the AirDrop protocol, which allows users to pass along links to their favorite movie trailers. The usual bugs and performance improvements round out the update.

iTunes Movie Trailers weighs in at 3.9MB and is available for free from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Oh, man, I'm going to be using that Notifications ability on a VERY regular basis.

Great news.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Just hope a simple app like that could be distributed by the Brazilian App Store!
    We have it on Apple TV! What is the trouble for an iPhone and iPad version?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

Well isn't the trailer app still available in US only ?

• Reply 4 of 12
    Not coming up on Australia. Pity
  • Reply 5 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    They have still yet to make their iOS Trailers app global. I don't get it. The Apple TV Trailers app has been global since forever.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Flixster does most of this stuff, and crucially it's available outside the US.

• Reply 7 of 12
    Does flixster tell you if a movie is actually available on iTunes in the country you are in?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    No, iTunes does. Why would you search on Flixster to find a movie released for download in iTunes?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

No, iTunes does. Why would you search on Flixster to find a movie released for download in iTunes?

Watch out for low flying planes

• Reply 10 of 12
    Because I want to get decent reviews and ratings of movies that are in iTunes
  • Reply 11 of 12
    The only improvement I care about for the Trailers app on iOS, is for it to connect with the Trailers app on Apple TV. I don't understand why one has "Favorites", and the other has "Wish List", which I guess is Apple's clever way to justify not keeping those two things synched even though they are basically the same function. Same reason why I don't understand why rentals don't sync between Apple TV and iOS, it's a huge unraveled part of Apple's entertainment experience.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nicwalmsley View Post

Because I want to get decent reviews and ratings of movies that are in iTunes

Actually I inadvertently told an untruth through ignorance, Flixster does provide a link to the corresponding iTunes page, I've just never used it or noticed it before.