Why did Be die?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by Nonsuch:

<strong>So first it's Apple's fault for screwing Be, and now it turns out Jobs actually screwed Apple?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Apple would not be alive right now if Jobs had not come back..
  • Reply 22 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

BeOS is great. If you own an old PCI mac preG3 by all means buy BeOS. You'll be truly amazed at how fast a mac really is. the Mac OS does not do justice. It's an amazing difference.

<hr></blockquote>

True enough. My Umax J700 came with a fairly early version of BeOS and I tried it out. Couldn't believe how snappy & responsive it made the machine feel. Of course, at that time there was really nothing worthwhile in the way of software, but you could play one hell of a mean game of Othello, fast-like!
  • Reply 23 of 31
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    applenut

[quote]

Apple noted that only $20 million had been invested in Be so far, and its offer represented a windfall, especially in light of the fact that the BeOS still needed three years of additional expensive development before it could ship (it didn't have any printer drivers, didn't support file sharing, wasn't available in languages other than English<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 24 of 31
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    The way I look at it is that BeOS had potential in what area? The multimedia crowd. A group Apple had already won over for the most part. What chance did Apple have of luring other customers from other install bases? Not much. NeXt was, and still is in a lot of places, the OS for scientists. There was, and is, huge potential for attracting an entirely different audience to the mac (see <a href="http://www.gnu-darwin.org"; target="_blank">www.gnu-darwin.org</a> for an example). In the long run, Apple will benefit greatly from going with NeXT and UNIX instead of Be. Face, Be was trying to sell a better wheel to people who had a wheel that was already good enough. Now, Apple's introduced a new car to the game. Be would have been the end of Apple and I'm glad it didn't happen. (sorry, Applenut, all the speed in the world would not make an excellent OS worthwhile. "Wow, look at all the cool things I can make my computer do. Now, what do I do?")
  • Reply 25 of 31
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Sinewave:

<strong>applenut

quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apple noted that only $20 million had been invested in Be so far, and its offer represented a windfall, especially in light of the fact that the BeOS still needed three years of additional expensive development before it could ship (it didn't have any printer drivers, didn't support file sharing, wasn't available in languages other than English

------------------------------------------------------------------------

lack of printer drivers, file sharing and multiple languages was going to take Apple 3 years? give me a break. and even if it took 3 years it STILL would have beat NeXTStep to market.

don't start saying BS. BeOS would have been ready quicker. be was already at work on most of the things you stated. Printer drivers for most Epson and HP serial printers shipped in 4.5 and several languages were added as well. Now with the resources of Apple those things would have happened quicker and would have been even better
  • Reply 26 of 31

<strong>

lack of printer drivers, file sharing and multiple languages was going to take Apple 3 years? give me a break. and even if it took 3 years it STILL would have beat NeXTStep to market.

don't start saying BS. BeOS would have been ready quicker. be was already at work on most of the things you stated. Printer drivers for most Epson and HP serial printers shipped in 4.5 and several languages were added as well. Now with the resources of Apple those things would have happened quicker and would have been even better</strong><hr></blockquote>

Of course you know better than Apple about such things. This is what Apple said. They looked at the pros and cons.. they knew Be was unpolished and immature. Your just taking guesses. What I stated wasn't BS. You seem to be in the habit of claiming anything that isn't the way you see is BS. I think you have your blinders on a tad too tight. If you read up on the actual history back then Be wasn't the Be that it is today.

There is a reason Be only sold for less than 20m. And NOT the 200million they was asking for.

But of course your right cause you say so!

• Reply 27 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by Sinewave:

<strong>

Of course you know better than Apple about such things. This is what Apple said. They looked at the pros and cons.. they knew Be was unpolished and immature. Your just taking guesses. What I stated wasn't BS. You seem to be in the habit of claiming anything that isn't the way you see is BS. I think you have your blinders on a tad too tight. If you read up on the actual history back then Be wasn't the Be that it is today.

There is a reason Be only sold for less than 20m. And NOT the 200million they was asking for.

But of course your right cause you say so!

you use a single quote out of "Apple Confidential" which was a joke of a factual history book and then have the balls to say I am guessing at what Apple thought and what really happened. SUUUUREEEE

• Reply 28 of 31
    Oh no, it's the battle of the "rolling eyes" smileys.

I wonder if professors of logic at universities around the country have to explain to their students that the "rolling eyes" smiley as support of an argument is neither logically cogent nor rhetorically persuasive?
  • Reply 29 of 31

or maybe it should be

• Reply 30 of 31

<strong>

you use a single quote out of "Apple Confidential" which was a joke of a factual history book and then have the balls to say I am guessing at what Apple thought and what really happened. SUUUUREEEE

Would you like me to give you more examples? I can if you want me to.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Allthough the OS is dead these days I still use it. I don't like any other OS that much, BeOS is just so silky smooth.

A little BeOS pic to leave with

<a href="http://www.enomoto.fsnet.co.uk/pic.jpg"; target="_blank">http://www.enomoto.fsnet.co.uk/pic.jpg</a>;