2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    To the top.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by CosmoNut:

<strong>2) OS X will only keep getting better.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wrong. OS X is going no where for me. No video card drivers. Plus I wont buy crApple in the future. So for me it's going nowhere.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]Wrong. OS X is going no where for me. No video card drivers. Plus I wont buy crApple in the future. So for me it's going nowhere. <hr></blockquote>

What machine do you have that doesn't have video card drivers? If it's over 2.5 years old, I'm sure that people don't want to hear it.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    You know for such a group of smart guys they've still over the years only managed to lose market share. The recent incarnation of Steve is not to blame. He has, if not reversed, at least halted that trend. They are good at focusing and exploiting a brand. They have not made the best hardware partner decisions in the past, and they have paid a heavy price for that. They are not a group of infallible geniuses, they are in fact quite lucky to have survived and regained relative prosperity.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    To be fair about my last comment, I do think that it's crummy that Apple isn't going to support older ATI cards (I think it's partially because of ATI's 'falling out' with Apple- either that or they want you to upgrade).

I think that the iBook SE which is 18 months old SHOULD BE supported. On the other hand, I don't really care about my 1998 Bondi Blue iMac being unsupported. It's old, and while still useful, doesn't need to support 3d games. While I can see machines that are less than 2 years old being unsupported, that's bad. I was very angry to find my CSW 4500 was unsupported in Mac OS 9 when it was a year old. I would be angrier about a computer that is less than 2 years old not working properly.

Over that, however, it isn't that big of a deal. Sorry to say it, but it's time to invest in a new machine (or better graphics card).
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Apple never should have put my iMac on the supported list if they weren't going to support it. My future computers wont be supported by Apple either.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Perhaps they should spend some of that 4 billion dollars on supporting their own hardware? I mean, come on. What's the use of "making the whole widget" if you can't even get drivers to a handful of relatively recent products?
  • Reply 28 of 30
    For the person that asked how Apple got their cash horde, one reason is if you go back these past 3-4 years and look at the Cash and Marketable Securities line in the balance sheet. Apple owned a lot of stock in a chip company called ARM (the stock symbol was ARMHY), and they managed to dispose of almost all of it near its all time high (sometime in 1999). Apple also had a stake in Akamai (stock symbol AKAM). In fact, Apple had stakes in quite a few companies and managed to sell them at quite dear prices. These moves went a long way to helping AAPL build itself a nice little war chest.

So there, now aren't y'all glad you have a stock guy on board?
  • Reply 29 of 30
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kestral:

<strong>For the person that asked how Apple got their cash horde, one reason is if you go back these past 3-4 years and look at the Cash and Marketable Securities line in the balance sheet. Apple owned a lot of stock in a chip company called ARM (the stock symbol was ARMHY), and they managed to dispose of almost all of it near its all time high (sometime in 1999). Apple also had a stake in Akamai (stock symbol AKAM). In fact, Apple had stakes in quite a few companies and managed to sell them at quite dear prices. These moves went a long way to helping AAPL build itself a nice little war chest.

So there, now aren't y'all glad you have a stock guy on board? </strong><hr></blockquote>

So, as the stock guy, where do you see AAPL (and AKAM) in the next few months? I'm planning on selling my shares some time in the next year and I hope to fund a new powerbook out my profit (I don't have many shares, just some extra $ I thought I'd do well to invest).

Scott and Dr.Gonzo, I, for the first time in my AI life, agree entirely with both of you. Wow, who know that this day would ever come? Apple should never had made the promise to support all iMacs and iBooks if they couldn't live up to that promise. Scott, how did your return of OS X go? My sister has an iBook SE and I'd like to know what options are available to her. How 'bout an online petition?
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Well Torfile, if AAPL can stay above $20.50 (it's 200 day moving average) in the next few days, it could make another run quick run to $23. I'm mostly a short term trader of options for my own trading so I usually look short term. But if it falls below $20 support, watch out cause it may test $15 again. As for a longer term view of AAPL's stock price, it'll depend heavy on the economy (see the thead somewhere on AI about the economy). Apple usually trades in line with DELL, HWP, CPQ and other boxmakers. I know, AAPL is different but the Wall Street weenies think it's all the same.