Amazon to reportedly launch free streaming video service [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
A report on Thursday claims Amazon is planning an entry into the free streaming video sector with a new service that would go along with a rumored set-top streaming device

Instant

Citing people familiar with the situation, The Wall Street Journal reports Amazon is planning to introduce an ad-supported TV and music video streaming service sometime in the coming months.

Alongside the free service, Amazon will feature original series and licensed content, the people said. For example, the company discussed the effort with the creators of "Betas," a show produced for Prime last year.

How Amazon plans to deliver the supposed free content is unknown, though the publication speculated it could be wrapped in as part of the Amazon.com website.

Currently, Amazon offers on-demand movies to customers who subscribe to the $99-per-year Prime program, but the selection is limited to certain videos from its existing streaming store. For Prime members, the service is a perk on top of major benefits like free two-day shipping.

Thursday's report comes ahead of a special Amazon media event, at which the Internet sales giant is expected to debut a device capable of streaming video content from the Web to a television.

Update: In a statement provided to Variety, Amazon has denied the WSJ report, claiming it has no plans to introduce a free streaming television service.

"We're often experimenting with new things, but we have no plans to offer a free streaming-media service," said Amazon spokeswoman Sally Fouts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I doubt many people will notice...but I hope Apple is not missing the boat by waiting for WWDC to update AppleTV (assuming they do then).
  • Reply 2 of 11
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Off topic: I'm looking forward to Amazon's first original series, Bosch, a procedural crime drama based on books by Michael Connelly.

[LIST]
    [*] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosch_(TV_series)

[*] http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-HD/dp/B00I3MPDP4 (full pilot episode)
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 3 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

“free”

• Reply 4 of 11
    This is the future of television. Ad supported video model seems basic, but for some reason it's not done very often.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

This is the future of television. Ad supported video model seems basic, but for some reason it's not done very often.

Its...also the history of television....

• Reply 6 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

This is the future of television.

The future of television is the history of television? The history that literally everyone hates?

• Reply 7 of 11
    quick DOJ, better sue Apple
  • Reply 8 of 11
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

That's how it's been done since the beginning of television. You can watch plenty of ad supported TV via broadcast airwaves.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    So a YouTube competitor? Or am I missing something? If it is more akin to Prime, then I assume it is free with purchase of their device for Prime Members, like the kindle lending library requires Prime + a kindle device.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Once again, WSJ gets the salient facts wrong.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    jamieljamiel Posts: 20member

And every news media outlet jumps on the story and contiunes the fraud.