Why can't it be Monday. <sigh>
  • Reply 42 of 64
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    [quote]Originally posted by erbium:

<strong>Ok, I'm tired of being teased!!

Why can't it be Monday. &lt;sigh&gt; </strong><hr></blockquote>

Me too! This is killing me.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    Mac OS X as the default OS?? or larger LCD's?
  • Reply 43 of 64
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member
    [quote]Originally posted by gumby5647:

<strong>i just don't get/understand this Tablet deal. whats so great about it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not endorsing it or even supporting it. I'm just making connections. I don't think I would buy a tablet, either, but that doesn't mean Apple wouldn't make one.

A detachable monitor with handwriting recognition, connected wirelessly to a base station containing the HD, apps, and internet connection would indeed be "uncharted territory" - and has gotten a fair amount of discussion thus far.

A portable DVD/video player with a wearable monitor of some sort (a Walkman of video, as it were) would also be unique. Again, I wouldn't buy it, but others might, and it would be an appropriate "stablemate" for the iPod.

Just my $0.02
  • Reply 45 of 64
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    OK!

Things we know for sure:

- It isn't CPU Speed. PC's have been to 1GHz, and now almost 2GHz.

- It isn't OSX on Intel. Why in the world would Apple ruin their hardware sales?

- It isn't LCD displays. PC's have also been here before.

- It isn't Speech, or Voice Recognition. PC's have also been here.

- It isn't tiny computers. Every heard of the iPaq, Palms, or even laptops?

- It isn't iPhoto. Can you say Photoshop LE?

I'm not saying the above won't happen, in fact, I'm betting most will happen, minus the OSX on Intel bit. I'm just saying that the BIG secret Apple has planned, that is expected to blow us away won't be one of the above features.

My guess? A true 64bit processor. Forget the high end workstations. We're talking a 64bit CPU inside a Personal Computer. Also know as the G5.
  • Reply 46 of 64
    [quote]Originally posted by Ybot:

<strong>all your prescious Apple advertising, which is done by us clever Canadians. </strong><hr></blockquote>

huh? what canadians work on apple's advertising?
  • Reply 47 of 64
    [quote]Originally posted by Ybot:

<strong>all your prescious Apple advertising, which is done by us clever Canadians. </strong><hr></blockquote>

huh? what canadians work on apple's advertising?
  • Reply 48 of 64
    [quote]Originally posted by gumby5647:

<strong>i just don't get/understand this Tablet deal. whats so great about it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is what I posted in another thread in Future Hardware:

We've all been speculating about the new "revolutionary" product that Apple will supposedly release, but none of the theories seem truly revolutionary. A digital camera? Uh... not really. The new iMac? Please. It's just another computer. A portable tablet? Kind of an expensive "value added" device, don't you think? And who needs a Newton on steroids?

But maybe the new device *is* an iMac, but not just a "new" iMac. Rather, it's an iMac *and* a detachable portable touchscreen tablet, built in. That's right... the DVD or CD-RW drive and power connections are built into a basestation of sorts, with the "monitor" being the detachable tablet. The hard drive would be also built into the tablet, along with all the connections (USB, FireWire, etc.)

Imagine... Junior has just uploaded Christmas photos to his website, and he wants to show Mom his handiwork. But she's downstairs in the kitchen and doesn't want to come upstairs to look at the computer. So, Junior, using his nifty new iMac, detaches the screen, and thanks to Airport, brings it downstairs to show Mom. Using the built-in stylus for the touchscreen, and the easy-to-navigate OS X interface, he walks Mom through his website while she puts the dishes in the dishwasher. Then, he leaves the tablet on the coffee table, so Dad can use it to check up on ESPN.com once he arrives home.

Imagine the freedom you'd have with this kind of setup. The detachable screen allows you take information anywhere throughout your home, and could also be used outside the home as well, like in a classroom setting. However, the built-in rechargeable battery, similiar in concept to the iPod, limits the tablet's ability to only a couple of hours away from the iMac's base. You see, the detachable tablet is designed for short-range portability and convenience, but not as a replacement for an iBook or other portable computer.

Would the cost of this new iMac be more expensive than the current pricing? Well, of course. But I think once people realize the freedom this gives them, not just as a computer, but as a portable information device, they would be willing to pay extra for something like this. And it certainly would be revolutionary. I don't know of any other system designed like this.

I don't know about you, but if this actually was available for sale, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I've mentioned this idea to other friends of mine who use iMacs, including a few teachers, and they feel the same way.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Gandalf the Semi-Coherent ]</p>
  • Reply 49 of 64
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    [quote]Originally posted by admactanium:

<strong>

huh? what canadians work on apple's advertising?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The advertising agency that Apple uses is Canadian. A Toronto-based firm by the name of <a href="http://www.tbwacd.com/"; target="_blank">TBWA/Chiat/Day</a>, they've done quite a few infamous ad campaigns. Check out their site for some nifty things.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Star Trek...the Mac OS running on a PC... Not.

Maybe I was right in that other thread... Apple food replicators!
  • Reply 51 of 64
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    [quote]Originally posted by suckfuldotcom:

<strong>eye

bee

tee

el

ess

dee

sea</strong><hr></blockquote>

SdC is your signature, but do the other initials mean? Google pointed me to a company that sells cars on the internet, an educational site for lawyers, and a labels manufacturer ;-)

That doesn't make sense for me.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    icruiseicruise Posts: 127member
    [quote]Originally posted by TJM:

<strong>

I'm not endorsing it or even supporting it. I'm just making connections. I don't think I would buy a tablet, either, but that doesn't mean Apple wouldn't make one.

A detachable monitor with handwriting recognition, connected wirelessly to a base station containing the HD, apps, and internet connection would indeed be "uncharted territory" - and has gotten a fair amount of discussion thus far.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I too don't see the point of a tablet PC -- there have actually been quite a few of these in the past few years, but none of them has been successful (outside of some specialized applications in certain industries). I just don't see the point, at least for the average consumer. What is the advantage over a normal PC? A PDA-like device that can surf the net can be useful as it is easily transported and can be used in places or situations where a normal laptop can't, but a tablet computer (while cool) is too big to be useful, and then there is the whole issue of input methods when you have no keyboard.

Sony in Japan has a device that is basically a tablet television that receives wireless signals from a TV/VCR/DVD player, but you can also use it to send email and surf the web. It's apparently not particularly popular.

[quote]<strong>

A portable DVD/video player with a wearable monitor of some sort (a Walkman of video, as it were) would also be unique. Again, I wouldn't buy it, but others might, and it would be an appropriate "stablemate" for the iPod.

Sony (again) makes this very device in Japan -- it is a DVD player about the size of a portable CD player that is attached to a small LCD screen via a cable. You are meant to keep the DVD player part in your bag and just carry the little screen.

The thing is that Sony can afford to make products like this that have relatively limited audiences, in the same way that they can afford to make a dozen different kinds of laptops. I don't think Apple should be trying to enter this kind of market, especially since even Sony has trouble making money on them (they are more like advertisements for Sony's technological prowess, and not things that a lot of people would actually buy -- not unlike the cube...)

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: icruise ]</p>
  • Reply 53 of 64
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    when thinking of a new iMac with new features, you also have to think of schools and libraries, etc etc. I cant imagine a detachable lcd screen at my old college's labs. Sure, they could be locked I guess... but then its useless for those buyers to even have to pay extra for a feature they will never use.

Personally, to have a portable 15inch screen/tablet that reconnects to its base station that provides AirPort and all that would be awesome. Have it docked while working, then detach the screen and bring to kitchen for recepeits (I hate that word), bring to the bathroom and really have something to read while, ahem, visiting the porcelein god, etc etc.

I like the idea... but in a consumer computer? Hmmm...

-3 days till we find out I guess.

BTW, we are not thinking outside of the box enough. The only thing I can agree with on the logo is 64bit processor in a consumer computer. But there must be something more.

ZO
  • Reply 54 of 64
    curmicurmi Posts: 70member
    [quote]Originally posted by jido:

<strong>

SdC is your signature, but do the other initials mean? Google pointed me to a company that sells cars on the internet, an educational site for lawyers, and a labels manufacturer ;-)

That doesn't make sense for me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think he means iBeetle (ie, a VW car made of translucent plastic like the imacs). A joke...
  • Reply 55 of 64
    Hmmm...To go where no *PC* has gone before.

The most logical thing to me is iTunes for Windows and iPod compatibility.

The Mac has been here before, but the PC hasn't. And Steve has indicated that he is planning to bring the iPod to Windows sometime in the future.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Well, let's analyze the statement for what it is. I tend to agree with the sentiment that this statement can't possibly be related to clock speed or some other type of speed benchmark, as Wintel and Athlon types are just too far ahead to make it up in one fell swoop. So super-fast chips are out of the question IMO. Although you *could* make the argument that if it's the G5, it is thus also 64 bit - and therefore a place PCs have never gone before....

You could say it has something to do with the Digital Hub strategy, and while Apple's digital applications and tools are clearly more intuitive and elegantly designed than what XP offers, you can't make the claim that PC's "have never gone there before." They have and they do, just in a mo' clunky way. So anything to do with mp3's, digital photos, DVD, etc. is out as well IMO.

Next there's the possibility that Apple has been working on a new Mac-quality handheld device. Personally I think the iWalk is a total crock of sh*t, but again, as someone said earlier, you can't claim this as being something new or proprietary to Apple. Palm's are everywhere you look, and Windows CE has been around for years so we have already lost that race.

Finally, there's the OS X on PC theory. This one satisfies the "where no PC has gone before" condition, but also means Apple is ready to give up its hardware revenues. HIGHLY unlikely to say the least. In fact the least likely of any of the scenarios I can think of.

So what the hell are they getting at with this one?

Unless it's the G5, I think the answer is pretty clear. What we're dealing with is what was described here:

<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000478"; target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi? ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000478</a>

Pure hype, pure RDF. It's inciting, it's vague and it serves it's purpose well - we're living proof.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>
  • Reply 57 of 64
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by erbium:

<strong>OK!

Things we know for sure:

- It isn't CPU Speed. PC's have been to 1GHz, and now almost 2GHz.

Actually, PC's are at 2.2GHz
  • Reply 58 of 64
    redcredc Posts: 1member
    Hi all. I've been watching these threads for a while and finally decided to get in on some of the action...

I think that I agree with most of you that the Mac OS running on an Intel/AMD chipset would just be bad; but I also wouldn't put it past Jobs to have come up with a way to make money off of it.

redc
  • Reply 59 of 64
    [quote]Originally posted by jido:

<strong>

That doesn't make sense for me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

IBTL = in before the lock. This thread started in Future Hardware (aka, AppleInsider teenage bitchfest), and it was just a matter of time before it got locked.

Sorry, no useful info.

Hey!!!! When did <a href="http://www.apple.com"; target="_blank">they</a> sneak in the word BOLDLY?

SdC

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: suckfuldotcom ]</p>
  • Reply 60 of 64
    In other news, I have prognisticated <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000607"; target="_blank">this</a> as the Next Big Thing.

Feel free to tell me why I am a useless impractical dreamer.

SdC