Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
interesting

why was it early?

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Looks like Spymac got the goods this time.... Although I don't think this is Apple's best material.
  • Reply 1 of 44
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
  • Reply 3 of 44
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I'm COMPLETELY shocked! Looks like I'm washing cars and taking out garbage.

What's with the "Star Trek"-oriented stuff?

"Lust factor" is obviously alluding to its bitchin', righteous design, whatever it is.

OR, can it be taken as a statement applying to everything?

That's what I'm most curious about: are all these daily statements/taglines about one particular product, OR kind of an overall, "ALL this stuff is gonna be cool!" statement?
  • Reply 4 of 44
    When I first read it I thought: Major speed increases (not only 1 Ghz) and amazing design.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>What's with the "Star Trek"-oriented stuff?</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's what I'm wondering, too. One "Star Trek" reference you can just write off, but with two it seems clear they're driving at something. Some kind of licensing deal?
  • Reply 6 of 44
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>When I first read it I thought: Major speed increases (not only 1 Ghz) and amazing design.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly. Just think how much faster (warp 10) the TNG Enterprise NCC-1701D is than the old NCC-1701A

I mean, I think they are just playing with us at this point. Just as long as it doesn't come with a picture of Wesley Crusher as the default desktop image.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Yeah, that's TWICE now they've broached the speed thing. I don't know guys...any chance it will be some truly wild-ass jump up? I mean, Jobs said something last year about "closing the MHz gap...".

Maybe they've closed it...and then some?

In one fell swoop?

I see lots of talk on these boards about 1.2-1.6GHz bandied around. I'm not a hardcore, tech-head by any stretch, but do we truly know what Motorola and whoever else are actually up to and capable of?

Is it public knowledge what chips they're producing AND at what speeds and all? Must be, from all the talk I hear here.

:confused:

Are we thinking too low? Holy cow, what if Apple unveiled something more in the 1.8-2.0GHz range and just totally blew the roof off the joint? Is that even possible? That big a jump?

Any good reason why Apple can't have a little more PC-comparable clockspeed in the mid-high GHz range?

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 44
    vasuvasu Posts: 26member
    a completely vocally controlled system???
  • Reply 9 of 44
    pscates,

agreed. I just don't see how hyping speed this much and everything else will be gratified by 1Ghz G4s.

Still think we will see 1.4Ghz or 1.6 Ghz in either a G4 or G5
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Okay, some of you "Star Trek" geeks need to start some serious analysis.

WHAT could be a common, unifying tie between Apple and a long-dead 60's TV show, besides a loyal cult following and a charismatic leader/figurehead?

Some sort of technology? The speech thing? This is going to be the LOOOOOONGEST weekend EVER!

• Reply 9 of 44
    [quote]Originally posted by vasu:

<strong>a completely vocally controlled system???</strong><hr></blockquote>

It would have to be flawless. How about a HAL-like computer that you could actually have a converation with, ask it questions about your homework, etc. Honest to goodness Artifical Intelligence. Introducing the iFriend.
  • Reply 12 of 44

<strong>Okay, some of you "Star Trek" geeks need to start some serious analysis.

WHAT could be a common, unifying tie between Apple and a long-dead 60's TV show, besides a loyal cult following and a charismatic leader/figurehead?

Some sort of technology? The speech thing? This is going to be the LOOOOOONGEST weekend EVER!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

OK, other than my personal favorite, the iPhaser , here are some realistic possibilities relating to StarTrek

MUCH faster CPUs

verbal communication with the computer

The satlelite idea

A handheld

a holodeck
  • Reply 13 of 44
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    PLEASE NOTE: In Star Trek, it is commonly assumed that Warp Factor 10 is the limits to speed. Going any higher than that would send you into another phase, causing you to be "everywhere in the universe at the same time," which for all intents and purposes is impossible.

There could be an allusion to that issue. Who knows.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: CosmoNut ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 44
    Yeah, applenut, that's my fear: all this hype and excitement-building THEY'VE flamed and provoked. THEN, to come out on stage and unveil (whoop-de-****ing-doo) G4s at 1GHz is just going to be the biggest letdown and joke EVER.

SURELY Apple isn't that deluded or out of touch to think that, after all this hype from them, people are going to be satisfied with a 100-200MHz bump, finally breaking (BARELY) the elusive GHz barrier?

For real life to match up to this hype, the GHz barrier will not only have to be broken, but rammed through hardcore, and sent up, up and up some more, to a nice 1.6-2.0GHz plateau.

People would absolutely lose their minds if a 200% increase in clockspeed was attained!

At this point, anything LESS than 1.2GHz (G4 OR G5) is going to seem anticlimatic, you know?

Could you imagine being able to buy, come Monday, a Power Mac at 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0GHz?

Surely not...

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 44
    It's going to be a design thing. Every time Apple starts talking about sex, they mean design.

SdC
  • Reply 16 of 44
    but if you could???

DROOOOOOOLLLLL....
  • Reply 16 of 44
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member

<strong>

Could you imagine being able to buy, come Monday, a Power Mac at 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0GHz?

Surely not...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I see one of two things happening. We get a very dissapointing update on Monday, or there is a HUGE advancement in chips and processor speed.

I predict the first.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    pscates,

you just brought up a great point I hadn't thought of.

How small a upgrade 1 Ghz is from dual 800 and single 867.

only 133 Mhz advancement in all this time and making such a big deal of it. That just simply CAN'T be true. that really is nothing to brag about.

thanks for pointing that out.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    curmicurmi Posts: 70member
    Lust factor Ten. Could be Lust Factor X. Ie, lusting after OSX (10.2 preview to be demoed).

Maybe all of these slogans are about different things at the show. Nothing by itself is spectacular, but there are lots of small things which make it look like a good show.

Lust Factor Ten: The demo (tuesday) of OSX10.2. (BTW, if anyone is going, can you yell out to Avie "Give us back our meta data!")

To go where no PC has gone before: Gigawire - no other PC has it.

It's like a backstage pass to the future: Reference to new Music device (backstage, as in concert) - updated iPod - for the future.

Beyond the rumor sites. Way beyond: Talking about the new iMac. It is nothing like we expect.

Count the days. Count the minutes. Count on being blown away: Game related. Possibly demoed on faster G4's.

This one is big. Even by our standards: The start of the clues...there are many things to show...

Hopefully the next is a clue to a new Newton.

• Reply 20 of 44
    zadakzadak Posts: 50member
    Full speed ahead can mean G5. If it is just G4 then it aint full speed ahead. There have been to much talk about stuff that doesnt exist ("where no PC has gone before", "to the future").

Lust factor is pure beaty and total simplicity.

The "Ten"-part can refer to OS X.

roger