new iMac = fugly

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote]Originally posted by suckfuldotcom:

<strong>The old iMac was ugly. Metal cage, weird plastic, ugly handle, tray loader, etc.

Then they finally got the design down with the pretty crystal ones.

But even those look like Woody Allen next to Catherine Zeta Jones with these new ones.

SdC</strong><hr></blockquote>

The new iMacs are fairly ugly tray loaders too, but you surely knew that.

I for one think it is better this way.. slot loading was a "whizz bang" feature that was kind of fun the first 20 times you insert a CD. After that it just became an unsightly hole with a ring around it in the front of your Mac. Doesn't jive with the minimalist in my opinion, I'd rather cover it up. I never had a problem with tray loaders on desktops in the first place (other than the flimsiness of laptop-style tray loaders).
  • Reply 22 of 23
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Guru:

<strong>This coming from someone who udderly fell for it as far as iWalk is concerned! (ZO)

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Whats that have to do with anything? If iWalk is real or not doesnt matter here. And besides the friggin knob, it looks like a great Newton replacement. I also said that it exists, yes, in the sense that what we saw wasnt just a rendered PDA... there IS a physical shell... the OS part can be discussed upon.

Anyway, few hours have passed by and I still cant say I like the iMac. The cromed neck is just not right. They even made the Apple Logo cromed!!!

I agree with Eliahu in that it doesn't stand out much. Besides the amazing feat of engineering to get all that stuff in a half a ball, the design doesn't deliver. Its neither here nor there. I was expecting something much more breakthrough from Apple.

Also, something as easy as turning the screen 90degrees would have been a nice bonus. At least this time, in the upcoming future, maybe next MWSF Apple can easily add bigger TFT screens seeing that it doesnt require a total redisgn.

Also, Im a bit miffed about what looks like the use of SODIMMS again.... = expensive RAM prices. Not good seeing that ram prices are going up much faster than I care for. Hopefully I am wrong.

Another nice thing would be to make a detachable bottom, a-la ship hatch... from a central wheel, you open the 'hatch', like a safe. That would be damn wicked.

Anyway, until I actually see one and play with it, I cant say I am at all impressed with the iMac. It really does look like a lamp.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    Looks crappy to me : (

Oh well, as long as other people like it, I guess.